Tuesday 8 December 2020

Christmas Traditions

This afternoon, I was slightly taken aback when a colleague wished someone a Happy Christmas. The days are passing quickly and even though I feel reasonably well organised (for once), I had a sudden realisation that Christmas is a little over two weeks away and there is still so much I keep meaning to do. I've been gradually working my way down my list and I've noticed that, although some of these activities are changeable each year, there are just some things I like to do the same every Christmas. We all do them, our own little traditions that make Christmas's special to us. It might be something that reminds us of our childhood, such as hanging a particular decoration that brings back special memories, how we like to  countdown to the day itself, or even the special treats we bake to enjoy with family and friends. 

This last week I've been to the florists for some eucalyptus. For many years now I've liked to display sprigs of eucalyptus somewhere in the house throughout December, usually across Lily's advent calendar. This year, because the florists were closed until the 2nd, I have placed some in a vase above the fireplace instead, and I might use some in my door wreath - something else I need to get on with this week.

Another little tradition of mine is buying clementines. Now, if I'm being completely honest, it is highly  likely they won't all get eaten, but the sweet citrus scent of the ones that do will transport me right back to my childhood, eating them while sitting underneath the Christmas tree in the twinkly colourful glow of fairy lights. I remember gazing in wonderment at all the brightly coloured, old style baubles and quirky (often questionable) decorations hanging from the tree, and twisting strands of gold lametta around my fingers. 

Home made apple sauce, Winter Spice Vodka, gingerbread, enjoying a glass of Baileys while decorating the tree. A tin of Roses or Quality Street? A tin of each? A trip to the nearest town to see the Christmas lights. Mince pies, winter walks, a new tree decoration. These are just some of the little things that make it feel like Christmas for me. Sometimes I add to the list. Last year we had the best time ice-skating. Sadly, that won't be happening this Christmas but we will be looking forward to enjoying it again next December.

Christmas is going to be very different for everyone this year but what I would love you to share, please, are your little traditions. What little things make Christmas for you?

J. X 




26 comments:

  1. Definitely oranges, one for each of the Christmas stockings. Chestnuts to roast on the fire, mulled wine with lots of cinnamon. Home made mince pies with ground almond pastry oh and always roast gammon on Christmas Eve with cauliflower and white sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ground almonds make such a difference to the pastry don't they. Ah, yes, mulled wine. I find it always tastes better when drunk in the cold outdoors. X

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post. I so enjoyed reading about all your Christmas traditions, some I follow, others I am inspired to try this year. Yes, you are right, things will be very different this year but that is part of the memories we create. And definitely the clementines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to hear how others celebrate Christmas. And those little traditions that mean so much. X

      Delete
  3. I loved reading your list of traditions. Most of them I share with you but we have a special tradition now. I decorate Tony's packed lunch box with tinsel, tiny lights and all manner of Christmassy twiddly bits. It gets more and more blingy as December rolls along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this post about your traditions. My Christmas traditions have changed over the years (I don't put up a tree every year, I no longer make Christmas cake, etc.), but, the one constant has been the exchange of gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wonderful thing with traditions is how we can adapt them over the years. I'm not making a cake this year. I find I enjoy the process of baking it more than the eating :)

      Delete
  5. Baking brownies, making sausage rolls and cooking the ham. All done on Christmas Eve, often with Carol's from Kings in the background. The other is the Carpenter's Christmas CD. Always playing in the background as we eat lunch on Christmas Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brownies are delicious. I think I might bake some chocolate orange brownies instead of a Christmas cake this year. X

      Delete
  6. I can't believe how fast December is passing, I still have so much to do but just don't feel in the Christmas spirit at all for one reason or another. I definitely need to think of our Christmas traditions to get me in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been far from easy this year, but I hope you can find some traditions to get in the festive mood. X

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed reading about your traditions. As a child I always had an apple and an orange in my stocking and simple gifts not expensive ones that are bought these days. I always looked forward to finding a sixpence in the Christmas pudding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to be said for a more simple Christmas all round. Do you still put a sixpence in the Christmas pudding? X

      Delete
  8. As a child my presents 'arrived' in pillowcases and I always got an apple, an orange, and a shiny new penny. We would attend the Christmas service at church that morning then come home to a traditional Christmas dinner. Some traditions changed over the years as I grew up and had my own family but we always went to my parents on Christmas Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That all sounds wonderful. I remember the scent of the candles as they were snuffed out following the Christmas Eve service. X

      Delete
  9. Like you a Christmas tradition is a large bowl of Mandarins or Clementines preferably with leaves attached like yours, it used to be a tin of Quality Street AND one of Roses, but now I make up a bowl of dairy free chocolates so I can indulge as well. I also used to buy a net of nuts to crack but last year we broke the nutcrackers and the cat had a field day playing with the unshelled nuts every night, so that one won't be happening this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to get some decorative leaves attached to my clementines but I somehow got half the tree in my box this year! :D X

      Delete
  10. What a lovely post Jules. As a child one tradition for us was having to count 20 Christmas trees in houses before Mum would put ours up lol. These days my personal tradition is buying the TV Times, pouring myself a drink then settling down with a marker pen to circle everything I want to watch. Hope you are all keeping well. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne. Oh, I love that idea, although this year I'm sure I counted far more than 20 decorated trees before the end of November. X

      Delete
  11. Even in Thailand we've got both Roses and Quality street! This is our first Christmas in Thailand, so we don't really have any traditions we have put a tree up though!
    Happy Christmas chocolates to you!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A time for some new traditions perhaps?
      Happy Christmas, Wren. X

      Delete
  12. Christmas is approaching FAST!
    Clementine's will definitely be purchased ... and soon!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious. I'll be needing to buy some more later this week. X

      Delete
  13. the clementine thing made me smile. I do that too, and then feel all surprised when in January they look withered and I find mould underneath.

    Trying to do pretty much the same as always, but who knows. Our festive meal out might be cancelled before we reach the date, but even if it isn't, it won't be the same.
    Trying to get a gingerbread house made this week. Don't know why I'm procrastinating over it so much this year, but I am.
    Your festive traditions are lovely, especially the eucalyptus.xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a delight to read about some of your traditions. As we go through the season and Advent we celebrate each Sunday with an Advent afternoon tea and lighting the candle/s. This year we have as a family linked up (technology) and this enjoyed the tradition together the best we can.

    ReplyDelete