Sunday 13 December 2020

Christmas Wreath

Yesterday, following our long awaited visit to Hill Top, we took an afternoon walk through the woods. The rain had cleared since the morning and I'd wanted to gather some greenery to make my Christmas wreath with, while I had the opportunity.


While the sky still looked dark and grey, I could tell the sun was trying it's very best to break through the cloud. The ground wet and muddy beneath our feet, made me glad I'd decided to wear my wellies. 


It didn't take long to find what I was looking for. Some fallen branches to the side of the path provided most of what I needed. Then, with a couple of very small sprigs from a nearby fir, I'd got enough.


By this time, the sky had brightened and, although the sun was beginning to set, there was still enough daylight to allow us to finish our walk at a relaxed pace.


On returning home I disappeared into the garden for while, to gather some fresh rosemary. The forecast for today was not good, so I though it wise to be prepared. I don't enjoy going out in the pouring rain, so if I didn't need to, I wouldn't. I was satisfied I now had everything I needed, but with daylight fading quickly, I would wait for the morning to make my wreath. 


It must have been the quickest time in which I'd ever made a wreath. Kneeling on the cold floor and feeling chilly probably helped speed things up a bit, but it didn't take long at all until each little bunch of foliage was fixed to the wire ring, then the fir cones I'd collected last weekend were attached. With the scent of rosemary hanging in the air and my fingers beginning to turn black from the florists wire, I attached some red ribbon, and I was done.


And here it is. I'm really pleased with it and I have to say, out of all the wreaths I've made previously, this one is my favourite. 
This afternoon we've been keeping cosy indoors and I've been helping Lily with writing her Christmas cards to hand out at school tomorrow. I'm now rounding off my day with a small glass of Winter Spice Vodka. Cheers!

J. X

44 comments:

  1. It's really lovely - I bet it looks beautiful on your door.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. I'm really happy with it. X

      Delete
  2. Ooh, that is beautiful! The sprigs of rosemary are such a good idea, I may borrow it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As well as looking pretty, the rosemary helps it smell so good. X

      Delete
  3. Love the wreath. I used to organise wreath making locally and still have the bases. I might just have a go again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds a lot of fun. I'd love to learn how to make one properly. X

      Delete
  4. Oh, how pretty! I love your fresh greenery wreath! I am inspired to try to make one of my own! I don't have a nearby woods to collect greenery, but, I do have a garden! :D Enjoy your celebratory drink! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising what you can forage from your own garden. It makes for a really unique looking wreath as well. X

      Delete
  5. Wow! The wreath is really beautiful, Jules.
    It’s wonderful that you found everything from the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful creation, you are very lucky to be able to walk and find such greenery near by, what a beautiful part of the country you live in, and it will smell delightful
    Tilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tilly. I love that I can create my very own wreath. It has become one of my Christmas traditions now. X

      Delete
  7. Your wreath is beautiful, you are so talented. You certainly earned your glass of Winter Spice Vodka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. I did enjoy the vodka :)

      Delete
  8. Your wreath looks beautiful and to think it’s all from foraged items. Just like times past when all Christmas decorations were outdoors greenery. Bet that vodka was delicious:) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. I enjoy the whole process of making my wreath, especially the foraging. X

      Delete
  9. It looks wonderful and so good that you were able to get out and collect the necessary greenery to make it. I love that you added the rosemary for its beautiful smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started adding rosemary to my wreath last year. It does smell wonderful. X

      Delete
  10. The wreath is beautiful and how lovely that it's all natural. I made one last year under the tutelage of a florist and it was lovely too so far I haven't made one yet for this year and I'm thinking I've left it too late, I must be better prepared next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Linda, although I would love to learn how to make a wreath properly. It's not too late - get foraging. X

      Delete
  11. You've made a great job of it, it looks very festive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. It looks lovely on the door. X

      Delete
  12. I like the sky in the sunset shot and your wreath looks lovely. I'm afraid I wouldn't have the patience to make my own though so well done, especially as you were kneeling on a cold floor to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eunice. That photograph was just a quick snapshot I took when I turned around, we were walking in the opposite direction. X

      Delete
  13. I love your wreath, it so fresh looking, so many shades of green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marlene. I'm really happy with how it turned out. X

      Delete
  14. that looks amazing - we're doing ours tomorrow - it is the first festive thing I actually look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like a tradition. I'm looking forward to seeing yours now. X

      Delete
  15. Great wreath! You put us to shame. We've only got one we bought in a shop that we bring out every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoy the whole process of making the wreath, although it can get a bit messy :)

      Delete
  16. Jules, your Wreath is lovely, I much prefer the simplicity of foliage to the glitzy type. I will definitely be following suit next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tania. I like the natural look of it. X

      Delete
  17. Oh WOW your 4th photograph is just wonderful.

    Fabulous Christmas Wreath

    Cheers as you have a sip of Winter Spice Vodka :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. It was a lucky capture, especially as the sky had only just brightened. X

      Delete
  18. Your wreath is beautiful, Jules. So lovely that you made it yourself from pieces of nature you collected. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meg. I love that it is unique. X

      Delete
  19. That's a beautiful wreath. And a beautiful walk - you need a Bluebell to take with you!! She would LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel. I think Bluebell would love it there but she would be in need of a good bath after a walk in those woods. X

      Delete
  20. The wreath is so pretty and looks very professional too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shazza. I'm rather pleased with my efforts. X

      Delete
  21. It's beautiful Jules, I have not made one this year, don't know why really...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Selma. I might not have made one either, had I not gone foraging when I did. X

      Delete