Wednesday 2 December 2020

Cranberry Sauce

It was another early start for me today. I don't know why I wake so early but I quite enjoy the peace and quiet of the early morning, a more gentle start to the day. An mug of coffee, toast and marmalade. Unhurried and very much enjoyed.

This morning, once I'd taken Lily to school, I set about making my cranberry sauce for our Christmas Dinner. It's something which, once deciding to do, actually takes very little time and effort but I think tastes so much more delicious than store bought. I just need to be sure I have in the few ingredients I need. At the beginning of the week I noticed the supermarket had got some fresh cranberries in stock, so I swiftly grabbed myself a packet, as often they don't have any out on the shelf. Next on the list was a bottle of Port. I hadn't realised I'd run out but as it's something I only use at Christmas, this didn't really come as a surprise.


I made my sauce using 300g fresh cranberries, 100g light muscovado sugar and 150mls Port. You can substitute some of the port with freshly squeezed orange juice if you like. Then all you need to do is put the ingredients into a large saucepan and boil for ten minutes, being sure to stir all the time, whilst breathing in the wonderful Christmassy aromas. Allow to cool slightly, then decant into a sterilised jar. 

That's another job I can tick off my list and so much more enjoyable than when I cleaned the oven yesterday, although that was very satisfying when I could see the results of all my hard work.

J. X







38 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, I bet the aromas in the kitchen were lovely. I’ve just discovered Myrtle berries on a plant I have are edible. I’m now looking for a jelly recipe. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Christmassy aroma was wonderful, Barbara. I hope you can find a suitable recipe for your jelly. X

      Delete
  2. Hello!
    This looks delicious.
    I actually have a bag in my refrigerator now!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Stay cozy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Billie Jo. It feels good to be prepared doesn't it. X

      Delete
  3. Ooh, now you have made me want to have homemade cranberry sauce this year! Thanks for including the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say it's definitely worth making, as it's so delicious. X

      Delete
  4. I made my first cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving. I declare that I will never buy it again. Fresh is always best. I even used my own rosemary. It's simpler than most people know--so simple a child can have the honor with a minimum of supervision.

    Waving at you from Texas~
    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so simple to make isn't it. I could have made it on Christmas Eve but I like to be prepared.
      Thank you for your visit. X

      Delete
  5. Looks delicious! Cranberry sauce is associated more with Thanksgiving than Christmas, over here, but, I like it year round!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm eating Christmas Dinner then I'm having cranberry sauce :)

      Delete
  6. It looks so delicious I only wished I liked it. I give it a try every year but it just doesn't float my boat. Perhaps I need some like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could, perhaps, leave out the sugar and cranberries? :)

      Delete
    2. Haha, brilliant and maybe have it in a glass with some lemonade :-)

      Delete
  7. Yummy, I haven't made any yet. I haven't seen fresh cranberries in the shop as yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't always have cranberries available here, which is why I picked them up when I did. I hope you can manage to get some. X

      Delete
  8. I'm sure that will go down very well with your turkey on Christmas Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't added port to mine yet - I'll do it when I warm it up just before The Meal (I love it warmed up)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never eaten it warm before. I might just try this method. X

      Delete
  10. Sounds delicious and oh so easy ... and yet it's something I have never made. Perhaps this year I should nab some of Alan's Port and make a batch. I'm sure he would enjoy eating it over Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really delicious, Sue. I'm sure Alan would appreciate it. X

      Delete
  11. Nom nom. Thanks for the recipe, nice and simple with lush ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also delicious with some baked camembert. X

      Delete
  12. Oooh yummy! I've never made my own cranberry sauce always having shop bought but we've decided not to have turkey this year so won't be having cranberry sauce at all. I'm sure yours will taste delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is also delicious with some baked camembert Eileen. We usually eat this on Christmas Eve. X

      Delete
  13. Oh wow this sounds so simple I'll have to try it.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is incredibly easy to make. I hope you enjoy it. X

      Delete
  14. I shall look for cranberries in the supermarket. You have inspired/galvanised me into action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding cranberries in the supermarket here can be a bit hit and miss, so I was glad to have spotted them when I did. X

      Delete
    2. I eventually got cranberries and have just made the sauce. Thank you. I hope you have a very Happy Christmas.

      Delete
    3. Merry Christmas, Graham, and my very best wishes for the New Year. X

      Delete
  15. Looks very nice and with port, I'm sure delish.. I always make Delia Smith's Morella Cherry jam and dry red wine to have with our Duck Christmas dinner, its very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never eaten duck, Chris, but that sauce sounds delicious. X

      Delete
  16. This looks delicious :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to eating some now. X

      Delete