Saturday 19 December 2020

December Sky


The first morning of my Christmas holiday and I woke at 6 o'clock! The trouble with regular early starts is that they are a hard habit to break. Not to mind. It gave me the opportunity to enjoy a coffee in the peace and quiet of the early hours. In fact, for longer than I anticipated, Lily didn't come downstairs until 8.30. Unlike me, she clearly doesn't have a problem with being able to sleep late. As a way to get into the festive spirit, I added some cinnamon and cloves to the cafetiere. I can definitely recommend this, it tasted delicious, although I do have some proper festive coffee which I'm keeping until later in the week.

Following a busy few days, I spent much of the morning catching up on those chores that were overlooked during the week, mainly the ironing. It always feels good to get it out of the way. The house has begun to look a bit of a mess, with pine needles on the carpet, Christmas wrapping, cards and empty boxes scattered over the dining table, Nativity costumes on the clothes airer and, since this afternoon, wellies and outdoor clothes strewn across the hallway. I'll need to get it all in hand over the next few days, as it's only going to get worse as the week continues.


After lunch we went out for a walk. I'd been stuck indoors all of yesterday and had been hankering after some fresh air and the chance to stretch my legs. Also, after a demanding week, it felt good to switch off wind down, and relax into the Christmas break.
 




Although rain had originally been forecast, it stayed fine for the whole time we were out. We went through the fields and around by the pond. A well trodden route, it's familiarity a comfort to us during this uncertain time. And clearly for others as well, given how muddy the tracks had become.
Through the woods and past the stream, the bare trees silhouetted against the sky looked undeniably wintry, a reminder the solstice is just a few days away now. This year, more than usual I'm looking forward to this marking of the lengthening of our days.

This evening, I've been to the supermarket and have managed to get most of my Christmas food shopping. That's another thing off my list, and now all I only really need to do is get the cheese from the farm shop later this week. 

J. X 







26 comments:

  1. Aye roll on the solstice. Beautiful tree pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomorrow early is my shopping day but I know I will have to go again before Christmas for items I forget! Thanks for sharing photos of your lovely little corner of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has to be at least one item forgotten from our lists. It happens every year :)

      Delete
  3. The Christmas coffee sounds lovely, I must give it a go. It's great to get outdoors as much as possible. It does lift your spirit. I got my cheese today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives it a festive twist. Then again, you could always add some brandy ;)

      Delete
  4. As a coffee lover I must try that in the cafetiere, sounds delicious. However dark the skies and bare the trees it's good to get out for a walk and enjoy the fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often forget how important it is, until I've spent several days cooped up indoors. X

      Delete
  5. My younger self would think I've gone crazy but I love getting up early. It's a chance to read blogs, for a start!

    I covet your nearby woods. I shouldn't complain as we're surrounded by countryside here but there's a shortage of magical-looking woodland to walk through nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been an early riser. And yes, it's a great opportunity to catch up on blog reading, while the house is nice and quiet. X

      Delete
  6. It does look wintry and cold, although the sky looks a little bluer in the last picture! I'm glad you are on vacation now and can relax over the holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has turned very cold here, Bless. We're expecting frost over Christmas. X

      Delete
  7. The Christmas coffee does indeed sound lovely, maybe today. A lovely walk and so nice to see the trees they are very limited locally. I have done the last of my shopping, just got to collect some fresh items Christmas eve from our little village store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I only needed a few more items but my list keeps getting added to,'just in case'. And I need some more batteries. The ones in Mog's cat flap have just been replaced, and I always like to keep some in stock. X

      Delete
  8. Hoped you managed a lie in this morning. Well done on the Christmas shop. I might try adding cinnamon and cloves to my cafetière, never thought to do that :) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often have a lie in, I quite like being up early in a morning. It's just lovely not having to rush around. Enjoy the coffee. X

      Delete
  9. That's a clever trick with the coffee - I'll give it a go. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a short cut to some festive flavour. I do have some actual Christmas coffee beans, they just need to be ground. X

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. The 'big shop' is the one thing I am happy about when it's ticked off. X

      Delete
  11. It looks like one of those days which never brightens up but it's still good to get outdoors and take in some fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did keep trying but the sun was far too weak. I was just pleased it remained dry during our walk. X

      Delete
  12. I love getting up early too, trouble is I also like reading in bed and if the book is too good then I read for too long . . .

    Glad you got a dry walk. Hope you did not get the same rain as us last night - sounded like the fire brigade had turned a hose full on the house and gravel was being thrown over the glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have experienced some heavy showers during the last few days but nothing quite like that. It sounds awful. Christmas eve is looking promising at the moment. X

      Delete
  13. I love the idea of adding cinnamon and cloves to coffee. So festive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So is adding brandy, but this way is less frowned upon at 7am ;)

      Delete