Wednesday 23 December 2020

Almost Ready for Christmas

 

The weather this morning was horrible. Wet, windy and about as un-festive as you can get. Fortunately, I didn't have anywhere I needed to go. Most of my Christmas preparations are done now, so I've spent the majority of my day in the kitchen, baking even more cinnamon shortbread, icing the gingerbread house and mixing together the dough for the no-knead bread, to be enjoyed with  some baked camembert tomorrow evening.

I'm considering our gingerbread house a success. I always use this recipe here. It's a very simple make, which means there's more fun to be had in decorating it. That said, ours has minimal icing and sweets, just the way Lily prefers it. I added cinnamon and cloves to my mix as well, which enhances the flavour. And another thing I would say is that the recipe makes far too much dough than you will need, but I've put the excess in the freezer to bake cookies with at a later date. Our gingerbread house is iced now but it needs a good dusting with icing sugar, which I've promised Lily she can do tomorrow, so I'll post a picture of the finished house then. 

This evening we've been playing some games, including  Prickly Pile up. A Christmas present for Lily a couple of years ago, it is now a firm favourite and one of those which I'm sure we will enjoy playing for many years to come. 

We have some plans for tomorrow which are dependent on the weather, but first there are presents to wrap. I'm just waiting on a certain little someone to fall asleep. I'm not sure I can remember a time when I felt so relaxed on the run up to Christmas. I'm sure there is a lesson in there somewhere. 

J. X


17 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to seeing your gingerbread house. I am sure it will be lovely.

    I hope you and Lily have a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look of Prickly Pickup! And can’t wait to see your decorated house 😊
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very agreeable way to spend the days running up to the 25th. Have a wonderful day with Lily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those biscuits look yummy

    Julie xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you've brought back memories here with that game. We bought it one Christmas to amuse ourselves and Mum who liked hedgehogs. I must look it out as it must be thirteen years since we played it. Thank you and have a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had so much rain lately it's definitely feeling un-festive. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished gingerbread house. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m always mightily impressed with anyone who can create a gingerbread house, ginger biscuits are as far as I go. Hope the wrapping goes well. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas with lots of fun and games. B x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Relaxed? Yes! In my case, my first thought is perhaps it's because I've hardly driven anywhere for weeks. Thanks to the internet, Christmas has come to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny isn't it, I'm all done far earlier this year than I can ever remember being before. The presents are wrapped, the food is bought, it's just a case of enjoying the festivities now. Looking forward to seeing the gingerbread house.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for being almost ready for Christmas! You sound very relaxed and I am looking forward to seeing the gingerbread house! Thank you for the link to the recipe. I might use it to make some gingerbread cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your gingerbread house sounds lovely Jules, and going off the pieces on the cooling racks it looks like it will be a big one - I can't wait to see it when it's finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas! We need to see a picture of that house decorated!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your ginger bread looks delicious. I have been out of blogland for a while so I shall be catching up with your recent posts gradually over the next few days. I'm sad to say that I have not put up any decorations because I will have no visitors over Christmas. Even though we are more relaxed on Scotland's Outer Islands than anywhere else in Scotland it's easier for me to go to my son's and other friends. Have a wonderful day and play a few games for me. I grew up playing games and did so with my children but no one seems to nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have the most wonderful time, Jules and Lily!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Prickly pile up sounds fun :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete