Tuesday 15 December 2020

Gingerbread Cookies

It was a return to two wheels for my journey to work this morning. The air felt damp and cold, but it was still, and my ride was pleasant enough, even if I'd had to brake abruptly in order to avoid a rabbit which darted across the lane just in front of me. It was still completely dark as I posted some of my cards at the village Post Office. Too early still, even for dog walkers. The sheep quietly grazing in the fields. A gentle start to my day. 

At work, it's definitely beginning to look a lot like Christmas, with cake, chocolates and other goodies appearing in the staff room on a daily basis. But at home, the biscuit tin has stood disappointingly empty since we finished off the cinnamon shortbread last weekend. I am happy to say this situation has now been rectified, as this afternoon I baked some delicious gingerbread cookies. Another quick and easy bake, these are a huge favourite of mine, especially around Christmas time.

All you need is:

75g butter

3½ tablespoons golden syrup

60g dark brown sugar

175g plain flour

¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

2 teaspoons ground ginger

½ teaspoon cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ground cloves

Melt the butter, syrup and sugar in a pan, add to the rest of the ingredients and mix well together.

The mixture will be quite sticky, but cover and leave in the fridge for around 30 minutes, by which time it will have firmed up enough to roll out and cut into shapes. This quantity makes around 25 cookies.


Bake for around 10 minutes at 150° and enjoy the wonderful festive aromas which fill the kitchen.
Once cooled they can be decorated but we Lily prefers them just as they are. : )

J. X















34 comments:

  1. Ah, I forgot to make the gingerbread cookies this year. I usually do it with my granddaughters who visit during the holidays. That won’t be happening this year, but I am trying to stay positive for the season and doing some baking and giving them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gifting your baking is a lovely idea and I bet it's delicious :)

      Delete
  2. Can smell them from here Jules, delicious x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you start work quite early! Those cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twice a week I have a very early start, but there's something quite special about having the journey all to myself, as long as it's not pouring with rain :)

      Delete
  4. They look delicious, I'm sure they'll be finished off quickly too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. They are disappearing fast. X

      Delete
  5. Yummy! I'm at work on Christmas Eve and have heard a rumour someone might bake cinnamon rolls while I'm away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The house will smell wonderful when you return. X

      Delete
  6. Thank you. I now feel motivated to tackle my next batch of mince pies. I wish I could get my pastry to roll that easily though. My efforts always turn into a fight with a gungy rolling pin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mince pie pastry is much more delicate. Next batch! :) I still haven't baked my first. X

      Delete
  7. Oooh, yum, they look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mouth is watering just reading this post. We had an empty tin the other day much to better half’s disappointment. Fortunately I had ingredients for an easy fruit cake so harmony has been restored . Love the idea of your early morning cycle ride before anyone is about :) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a huge feeling of disappointment to discover an empty tin, so I'm relieved to know your situation has since been resolved ;)
      My ride to work can be really lovely, as it's so quiet at that time of day. X

      Delete
  9. Lovely! I must bake some of these, I need to buy a christmas tree cutter. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look and sound delicious. I am betting your kitchen is smelling wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never compete with you in the baking stakes, Lorraine. X

      Delete
  11. That gingerbread dough looks lovely and I bet the house smelled amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how the baking aroma wafts through the house. X

      Delete
  12. I'm definitely going to make some of these Jules, they look right up our street and even Mr Fussybeloved might eat some. Thank you for sharing your recipe. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd quite like to spend some time icing them but there doesn't seem much point in this house :) X

      Delete
  13. They look so pretty! Our occasional treat are stem ginger biscuits from the Co-op, Stephen loves them too (he's an odd cat!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Animals are funny aren't they. My old dog always used to insist I share a satsuma with him. X

      Delete
  14. I baked some shortbread stars the other day. When we've eaten those I shall try your recipe.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love both shortbread and gingerbread. It can be difficult to choose which to bake. X

      Delete
  15. Love, love, love gingerbread biscuits. They are so festive and the aroma while they are cooking is just out of this world!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that they are so easy to bake as well. X

      Delete