Tuesday 29 December 2020

In Search of Snow

This morning, wrapped up warmly against the cold, we set off for our walk. The temperatures had been below freezing overnight and I wasn't going to take any chances, so we put on our salopettes and layered up. Our aim today was Binsey, a small stand alone fell to the north of Bassenthwaite. 






Slightly overcast when we began our climb, the sun was quick to break through the clouds and in the short time it took for us to reach the summit, the sky had cleared and we were treated to the most beautiful views in all directions. Then, while we were sat eating our lunch, even Skiddaw could be seen just peeping out above the clouds. With the air so crisp and still, it was tempting to stay there for longer but with Lily feeling restless we made our way back down the fell, being careful to avoid the patches of ice on the path. 


Not a bad place to enjoy some of the mincemeat shortbread I'd baked yesterday.

It would have been lovely if there had been more snow, but I'm hopeful we might see some more before the end of the week.  

J. X



30 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice walk and the views are great but I don't think you'd get me up there in the cold and snow. Lily looks like she's growing taller by the day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely gentle walk, Eunice. I thought of you while I was there, as it would be perfect for you and the dogs on your next visit.
      Lily is growing much too fast for my liking. She's very tall. X

      Delete
  2. So beautiful, what an amazing walk particularly with the frost. Bet the mincemeat shortbread was delicious :) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes so much better when eaten in the cold frosty air. X

      Delete
  3. My husband is from Workington. So travelling up through the Lakes to visit his parents I remember so much from your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you enjoy them just as much as I enjoy seeing your photographs of the sea. X

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures but, brr! Too cold for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. I was toasty and warm in my salopettes. X

      Delete
  5. That is so bleak and beautiful, thanks.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunlight on the frost made everything sparkle. X

      Delete
  6. Those photos are gorgeous. I suspect there will be more snow too. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great looking fell! The nearest I've ever been is Skiddaw and Blencathra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure what to expect but it's a lovely little fell. X

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos and a lovely walk for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. I thoroughly enjoyed it. X

      Delete
  9. Freedom and beauty: two enviable qualities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And both very much appreciated, Graham. X

      Delete
  10. It looks beautiful but cold. You're welcome to our snow, though it's now turned to ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lovely and warm in my salopettes. X

      Delete
  11. While I doubt that I could keep up with you and Lily, it was wonderful to see the view through your camera lense. Beautiful scenery, where Earth touches the sky, fresh air, and a snack. Just lovely. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The walk probably took us twice as long as it would have usually, due to Lily constantly needing to lie down on the snowy track :)

      Delete
  12. Wonderful photos, the sky is just beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks as if you have found the top of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The views were beautiful in every direction. X

      Delete
  14. So beautiful. Wish I was up there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such lovely scenery. I hope you get your wish and may snow be in your near future.

    ReplyDelete