Thursday 24 December 2020

The Stockings were Hung by the Chimney with Care

The house is quiet. There's a mince pie, a small glass of brandy and a carrot plated up on the coffee table, and I'm hoping Lily will soon be fast asleep. I won't be long out of bed myself, as I expect it will be an early start for me in the morning.

I've had a busy, but very relaxed day, a Christmas Eve to remember for all the right reasons. 





This morning we  enjoyed a climb up Catbells, one of the lower Lakeland fells which overlooks Derwentwater and is a popular walk with people visiting Keswick. A beautiful but bitterly cold morning, we took our time on the ascent, pausing regularly to appreciate the views. It was lovely (and very festive) to see the snow on the surrounding higher fells, and we needed to tread carefully to avoid the patches of ice on the path. Well, I did at least. Lily couldn't resist the feeling of it crunching beneath her boots.

It was only a short walk, so it wasn't long before we were heading home, full of excitement to begin our Christmas celebrations. After warming up with a large mug of coffee, I put my bread to bake in the oven and Lily added the finishing touches to our gingerbread house. 

This evening we've enjoyed the (still warm) bread with some delicious baked camembert and cranberry sauce and I finally opened the tin of Quality Street - I didn't trust myself to open it any earlier :) I might have also enjoyed a festive tipple or two.

Tomorrow, I expect, will be full of fun and laughter, a last opportunity for the family to be together for a while. I hope however you are spending it this year, that you manage to have yourself a happy, healthy and joyful Christmas.

J. X

26 comments:

  1. The gingerbread house turned out really well. Will you and Lily eat it? It`s always a shame to take it apart. Great photos! Have a lovely day with family tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always seems a shame to dismantle a gingerbread house, but it tastes too delicious to not eat it.
      Thank you. I hope you had a lovely day. X

      Delete
  2. Totally enjoy.Treasure every moment.
    Have a lovely day.
    Barbaraxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. We did have a lovely day. X

      Delete
  3. How tomorrow is all that Lily hopes it will be! That the carrot is gratefully crunched and the mince pie and tipple quaffed while the stocking is being filled! 🎅🎄 Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Santa enjoyed the last of the mince pies, Kate. Now I'll just have to bake some more :)

      Delete
  4. And the same to you, Jules. Those photos are beautiful, thank you for sharing them. A Merry Christmas to you all.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you and your family a very happy Christmas. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, Barbara. I'll be catching up with you shortly. X

      Delete
  6. Happy Christmas Jules, it's sure to be wonderful for you and your family x
    Your gingerbread house looks too good to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. I'm sorry you couldn't be with your family this year but I hope you still had a lovely day. X

      Delete
  7. Lovely photos, the gingerbread house looks good, and great views from Catbells especially the first one, it looks gorgeous. Mog looks very sweet curled up, I hope she gets a present too :) Have a happy Christmas with your family Jules, I hope it's a good one for all of you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eunice. It was a lovely day, so I just had to get out for a walk. X

      Delete
  8. Happy Christmas Jem. Lovely photos of the Lakes. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas to you and your family, Jules. Your gingerbread house looks lovely and Mog all curled up is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. Lily was about to get into bed when we discovered Mog there. I needed to lift her out of the way :)

      Delete
  10. It sounds like the perfect Christmas Eve. The gingerbread house is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I think, really, I prefer Christmas Eve to Christmas Day. X

      Delete
  11. I had a lovely Christmas Eve but, despite that, the idea of being up Catbells on a day like that really makes me very envious. Those days seem so very long ago and far away. The photos are lovely by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed your Christmas Eve, Graham. I had a really lovely day and I do appreciate that living here makes it possible for me to enjoy such beautiful walks. X

      Delete
  12. Fabulous photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jules, thank you for sharing your blog - walking in the Lakes, it's so lovely to see it... it's beautiful. Hard work climbing but beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gives a great sense of achievement to finally reach the summit. Xx

      Delete