Tuesday 1 December 2020

Welcoming December

The last month of the year is upon us once more, and this time I am looking forward to enjoying the festive season in a somewhat quieter and more mindful way. I was awake early this morning, just as I often am, but today I felt a little bit of excitement at the date, which for me signifies the beginning of the build up to Christmas. I crept downstairs just after 5.30am. as once I'm awake I find it impossible to just lie in bed, preferring instead to get up and enjoy the quietest part of the day with a mug of coffee and, today at least, some bright moonlight for company. 

When dawn eventually broke it was bright and sunny and there had been a light frost overnight, which was a reminder, if any was needed, that winter is almost upon us. Quite a contrast to the weekend, in which the sky was overcast and the air felt damp. On Saturday we went for a walk way across the fields and through the woods, as there was something important we needed to search for. Every Christmas Lily's advent calendar is made up of 24 tiny knitted stockings, and into each one I put a small chocolate wrapped in foil. These are usually hung from a stick which we find on one of our walks in the run up to December. Now, this stick has to meet certain requirements. It needs not to be too long or too short, too thick or too thin, it must be just right. This sounds like it should be straightforward but many have been rejected in the search for the perfect stick : )





Wrapped up well and wearing our wellies, we walked along past the stream and towards the pond where we thought we had found just the right stick, then following the field track, we were soon trudging our way through the mud and into the woods where the carpet of leaves has now lost their bright autumn colour and are to beginning to fade and break down. This is where another stick caught our eye. A little straighter and more sturdy than the last, it was quickly exchanged and, after a quick break for some chocolate (and a visit to the farm shop to collect  something special for this year's  tree) we returned home allowing it to dry out completely before decorating.


I knitted the stockings a few years ago using one of the free patterns available online at jeangreeenhowe.com. It is a simple pattern which knits up really quickly. I've attached each individual stocking in using a short length of jute, then the stick is hung over the fireplace where Lily excitedly reaches for her chocolate each morning. As you can tell from the photograph, I've put out a few of our Christmas things already. We will decorate the rest of the house next week, once we've been to choose our tree.

J. X


34 comments:

  1. What a lovely advent calendar. I agree with Lily it must be just the right kind of stick. Looking forward to your posts this December. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. The right stick is very important.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful childhood Lily is having.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The spirit of Winter is especially welcome this year...with traditional plans in tatters we are trying to reinvent our celebrations. Hope
    Lily enjoyed her festive advent treat. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a magical time of year and I'm sure we can find a way to enjoy the celebrations, albeit in a slightly different way this year. X

      Delete
  4. I love Lily's advent calendar and how the stick has got to be just right :) There was an overnight frost here too last night, the first time this year that I had to defrost the van windscreen before going to work :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eunice. I noticed my car was frozen up as well, but it was such a beautiful morning. X

      Delete
  5. Jules, that is absolutely beautiful. I love your mantle. I agree it's starting to feel very wintry now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tania. It's as though winter arrived overnight. X

      Delete
  6. So pleased you found the right stick.
    Happy December Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sticks are always an important find on our walks, but this one was especially so. X

      Delete
  7. Oh, I just love the tradition of finding just the right stick for the advent stockings! And, I love the stockings, as well! So precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. It's such a simple pattern. X

      Delete
  8. It is beginning to look a lot like Christmas ....

    I love your decorations. I have put up my wreaths and have a few lighted trees around the house and outside but there will be no big tree in the living room this year. We will celebrate next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now know what song I'll be singing today :)

      Delete
  9. I absolutely love that calendar and the search for the perfect stick. I looks wonderful hanging up.
    I know the pattern and have a few of those socks on the Christmas Tree.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. It's a popular pattern and the stockings are just the perfect size to hold a chocolate. X

      Delete
  10. That Advent calendar idea is utterly brilliant! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Vix. I don't think Lily really minds what the calendar is like as long as she finds a chocolate each day. X

      Delete
  11. You'd think with all those trees the right stick would be easy to come by, but I understand, it has to be just right and I think the perfect stick has definitely been found. Lily's advent calendar looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. It didn't take us long to realise we'd found just the right one. X

      Delete
  12. How wonderful to take a walk looking for the right stick. You certainly found it, the socks look fantastic. Inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lily's advent calendar is a delight and I agree you have to find the perfect stick. Your mantelpiece looks lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. We'll be decorating the rest of the house this next week. X

      Delete
  14. I love to get up really early too, there's something special about the early morning stillness. I can imagine it must be quite hard to find the right stick but that one is perfect what a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I wake so early, Linda, but I enjoy the quiet of the early morning when I do. X

      Delete
  15. What a lovely tradition to go looking for a stick. I'm hopeless at choosing between just 2 or 3 things so a wood full of options would be hard for me lol. The little socks are cute and definitely something that would be a lovely Christmas heirloom. I've used Jean's patterns as well to knit dolls for the shoeboxes, they turn out lovely. Hope all is well with you and the family. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The patterns are very popular, Suzanne, and I can see why. They are very straightforward and knit up beautifully.
      All is well here thank you. I'll email you soon. X

      Delete
  16. What a cute idea! I also like the 3 trees you have on your mantel. They reminded me of Louise Penny's books that take place in a village called Three Pines.💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. The trees have become some of my favourite decorations. X

      Delete
  17. Fantastic Advent Calendar. I must go and find a suitable stick to put my small crocheted stockings on.
    xx

    ReplyDelete