Monday 21 December 2020

Winter Solstice

It was another early start for me this morning. Mog was my alarm, deciding she needed me as a companion to begin the day with. I can't understand why she chooses to do this sometimes, other than to simply annoy me. Outside appeared grey and gloomy, and I was glad of the warm glow from the lights on the Christmas tree.

It was a gentle start to my day, however. A quiet house, several mugs of coffee and a good blog catch up. I always appreciate the opportunity to read uninterrupted.


After lunch we went out for our Midwinter walk. The sky a pewter grey and the still damp air somehow seemed appropriate for the shortest day of the year. We needed to wear our wellies again, the ground gets so muddy beneath the trees. 

We walked up the hill and through the field where we'd gathered blackberries at the end of the summer. It seems such a long time ago now and yet no time at all. The ever changing seasons marking the passing of time with reassuring constancy.

Winter is upon us. A time to retreat, light candles and hunker down at home, as we begin our gradual return towards light and warmth.  

Solstice blessings.

J. X

22 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! I had to smile at Mog being your alarm clock - Dancer used to be mine, urging me to wake up at 6:00 a.m. when I used to go to work, but, since I retired and have started sleeping in, he has learned to accept it! He now wakes me up, much later! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. I don't know what it is with Mog at times. There is always some food in her dish, so it's not because she's hungry. X

      Delete
  2. love that last part of your post. Thank you
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring is just around the corner, Joy. X

      Delete
  3. Early mornings are great for catching up with blogs! I like blogging but if I do it in the middle of the day, I get nothing else done. That first hour, when time passes strangely and you're still half asleep is ideal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. It's the best part of the day. X

      Delete
  4. Me too, I love my quiet time in a morning to catch up with blog reading and a couple of mugs of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely way to mark the solstice. I'm always glad when we get to the shortest day, I like to know we're heading back towards lighter and longer days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good feeling isn't it. Spring is on it's way. X

      Delete
  6. Glad you got out to enjoy the solstice. Too wet here sadly. Fingers crossed we get a walk today. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame. The weather in the afternoon turned out better than I expected. I hope you managed to fit a walk in today. X X

      Delete
  7. I have a feline alarm clock, too!
    What a lovely walk and isn't it exciting to know that the nights are getting shorter! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this turning point in our calendar, it gives me hope of lighter days and a new growing season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite like being able to hunker down during the winter but I am already thinking ahead to some warm spring days. X

      Delete
  9. After the time many years ago when Pepsi bit my partner's toe I don't allow any cats in the bedroom at any time so there's no danger of me being wakened too early :) It's good that you got out for a walk, it's rained so much here recently that I haven't been out for a decent walk since the beginning of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeshk! That would've hurt. Thankfully, Mog isn't a biter, she will just nudge me and miaow in my face.
      She sometimes sleeps at the bottom of the bed, but I hardly notice when she's there. X

      Delete
  10. It takes me quite a while before the optimism of "the days are getting longer now" kicks in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's proving to be more of a challenge this year, but I'm looking forward with hope. X

      Delete
  11. My candle order arrived today, so I'm definitely ready to stay cozy and hunker down for the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lit candle makes a room feel so cosy. X

      Delete