Monday 7 December 2020

Winter Spice Vodka

With temperatures just above freezing, it was a very chilly ride into work this morning. The sun was still to rise and the roads were blissfully empty. It was a very early start, but there is something wonderful about being out at that time of day when most people are still tucked up in their beds. 

My morning passed quickly and it didn't seem long before I was home again. A quick bite to eat and I soon remembered about the blackberry vodka, which had been steeping in the cupboard since the end of summer. It seems a long time ago now, and back when the weather was still warm and sunny it did feel a little odd to be making use of cinnamon and cloves in the kitchen, but for minimal effort these few ingredients magically transform into a delicious drink just a few months later. There is a link to the recipe in the sidebar if anyone would like it.

Whilst sterilising some bottles in the oven, I set about straining the blackberry mixture through a muslin cloth and into a large measuring jug. It was very important that I squeezed out every last drop, as I really wouldn't want to waste any :) 

If my previous year's batches are anything to go by, it really is delicious and I'm looking forward to enjoying my first taste at the weekend. And, no, the mistletoe has not been placed there to make it look aesthetically pleasing, I just haven't got around to hanging it up yet :)

J. X

32 comments:

  1. What a beautiful color! Almost makes me wish I drank alcohol! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only drink a very small amount at a time. It makes a tasty warmer after a winters walk. My favourite non-alcoholic festive drink is mulled apple juice - delicious. X

      Delete
  2. Love blackberry vodka. Sadly I’m a bit too late for this Christmas. I must put it on my list for next year. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so delicious isn't it. I made mine at the beginning of September. X

      Delete
  3. I bet it's delicious, I'll have to remember to try this next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, and you only need a small amount to enjoy as a winter warmer. X

      Delete
  4. That really does sound lovely, I think I'll give that a go next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great idea for a Christmas gift as well. X

      Delete
  5. Hi Jules. It sounds like you had a nice day today, even though your ride into work was a rather chilly one. And blackberry vodka - what a wonderful treat to come home to. Sounds like something I'd definitely enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My face was glowing, Julia
      The vodka is delicious, but not on a school night ;)

      Delete
  6. I agree with Bless, the color is fabulous! It sounds so flavorful and festive, Jules. I love anything with berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the addition of the cloves and cinnamon it does taste very festive. X

      Delete
  7. Looks good. Unfortunately I don't drink alcohol - it just makes me feel ill. I did discover alcohol free red wine. The first one I found tasted disgusting - but it makes good mulled wine.

    I keep thinking of getting some of those glass mugs with screw tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mulled apple or cranberry juice is delicious as well. The small Kilner mugs are very sweet and great for giving as gifts. X

      Delete
  8. Mmmm sounds and looks delicious. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very beautiful it looks 9in that photo. I've made fruit liqueur in the past and I agree - it has a wonderful flavour.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious. It takes a little while for the alcohol to soak up all the flavours, but the timing is perfect for a festive tipple. I made up my jar at the beginning of September. X

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to tasting it this weekend. X

      Delete
  11. I'm sure it will taste wonderful. I do like mulled wine but haven't bought any this year and have never made any myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing about making your own is that you can adjust it to suit your preferred tastes. X

      Delete
  12. That looks lovely ... and yrs very artistic with the Mistletoe :-)

    I have blackberries still steeping in whisky, I must strain them when I get back to Wales for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'placing' of the mistletoe did make for a pretty photograph but it really wasn't intentional. In fact, it's still there! I'm going to hang it up tomorrow when we decorate the tree.
      Whisky. Now there's another delicious idea. X

      Delete
  13. It sounds delicious but it wouldn't do for me to have any - one small glass and I'd be under the table! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only manage a very small glass of this, but it is delicious. X

      Delete
  14. I'm sure it will taste wonderful ...
    Enjoy :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete