Sunday 4 July 2021

Early Summer

Hurray! Summer has arrived. Bright, sunny mornings see me waking far earlier than I would like, but a steady, unhurried start to my day is much more enjoyable than the need to rush around. Washing is pegged out on the line, birds are fed (I've discovered mealworms are a huge hit), and oh, how satisfying it feels to help myself to fresh strawberries from the garden to enjoy with some yoghurt for my breakfast. And all this is before 7.30a.m. at which time I set off on my bike to ride into work. 

Even that feels like a joy at this time of  year. The lanes are quiet, the calves in the fields are just beginning to stir, and the warm, early morning air is filled with the sweetest of smells. As I ride along I breathe in the delicious scents of the Elderflower, Honeysuckle and Meadowsweet which line the roadsides. 


Lately, weekdays have been quite busy, so I have eased off at the weekends a little more than usual. That said, I still need to get out, and much like a dog, I need to be walked regularly :) So, last weekend we took a gentle stroll up Gummers How. A much loved little fell on the southern shores of Windermere. We like to walk here every now and again, as it's an easy, short walk up direct from the car park and  the views across the lake are stunning. 







The wildflowers in the garden had been flattened by the heavy rain showers, but they soon straightened up again when the sun re-appeared. There are several new varieties which are yet to open up, and I never knew you could get white Cornflowers, so it came as a shock to see one all on it's own, in amongst the blue and purple ones. 


During the week, we finally had the opportunity to go swimming in a pool once again and it felt amazing. The sun was shining, the water was lovely and warm and Lily had a grin on her face the entire time we were in the pool. I've promised that I will book for us to go again very soon. 



The next day, I had planned a visit to Ullswater for some paddle boarding and swimming, after which there would be sausages cooked on the camping stove followed by some hot chocolate. It was warm, sunny evening and a lovely time was being enjoyed, then I realised I had forgotten the sausages! I am seriously not very good when it comes to utilising this particular camping stove, as I have previously been known to forget the gas cannisters! Never mind. A hot chocolate would be good until we arrived back home. But guess who forgot the mugs! I was so cross with myself, until, eventually, I came up with a plan. We could drive on towards Keswick, call at the supermarket for some sausages and cook them by Derwentwater instead. 
Fortunately, I was in need of some more camping mugs, so it wasn't money wasted, and by this time a pack of chocolate Brownies may have also made their way into my shopping basket. I now had everything I needed but the car park machine by the lake had other ideas. I needed to wait twenty minutes, until 7p.m. to pay to park for the evening! By this time I was getting more than a little cross at myself until another visitor, who was also waiting, told me that Max the Miracle Dog and his owner, Kerry were over the road, in Hope Park. They were having a short meet and greet before the unveiling of a bronze statue of Max, which was taking place the following afternoon. Needless to say, I was very excited at this and, once I had paid to park, I can't tell you how great it was to chat with Kerry and stroke the dogs I have read so much about. They are just so gorgeous, and very friendly, happy dogs. I would have happily stayed there all evening but I had sausages to cook.


A little way along the shore we found a quiet spot to set up the stove and, I have to say, the sausages tasted delicious and were well worth the wait. The hot chocolate and brownies were pretty good as well.



As it happened, my forgetfulness worked out rather well for me in the end.

 

I thought you might like to see the new mugs.

J. X

 







48 comments:

  1. Those wildflowers are lovely and it seems that ' all's well that ennds well.' The new mugs are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. Yes, thank goodness. I had been very cross at myself until that point. X

      Delete
  2. That swimming pool looks so inviting - we have a Lido in our next door seaside town but unfortunately it is closed this summer for refurbishment.
    I love all your photos of the lakes - we are coming up for a week at the end of the school holidays, staying at Hawkshead, so looking forward to seeing them in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swimming in the pool felt wonderful, and it was a pleasant surprise to find the water so warm. What a shame your Lido is closed this year.
      A family holiday in the Lakes will be lovely. There is so much to do. X

      Delete
  3. Summer (rain) has definitely arrived! typing this as I can hear it hammering it down on the roof - never mind we managed to get out over the weekend. Love your tin mugs and I watched the unveiling of Max's statue/seat live on FB - I have been an avid watcher of all Kerry's (and his dogs) walks :) I didn't know either you could get white cornflowers - very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer rain can be very heavy, so it came as no surprise that the wildflowers were a little flattened. It can be 'fun' trying to dodge the showers when you're out and about.
      I'm glad it wasn't just me who didn't know about the cornflowers :) Still, I much prefer the vibrant blue ones. X

      Delete
  4. Love your wildflowers. Especially the blue flower with the yellow centre.
    I am so envious that you got to meet Kerry, Max, Paddy and Harry. I saw the unveiling of Maxes statue on TV and Facebook and this morning I was in Keswick , so went to see it. It really is stunning. Would love to meet Max in real life. Think I would be starstruck. He is such a lovely dog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what that blue flower is, and I only have the one, but there are some red poppies just beginning to flower now, and they are stunning.
      Lucky you getting to see the statue. From the pictures I have seen, it looks beautiful. I must visit again very soon. X

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you are enjoying your summer. The scenery is beautiful as always and your wildflower garden is looking to pretty! What a lovely surprise to see a white cornflower! Those sausages look delicious and those new mugs are so pretty! I'm glad you were able to more sausages and brownies and mugs and the evening turned out well after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. I still have two weeks until the summer break, so I think I may have relaxed a little too soon :) X

      Delete
  6. So many things to comment on but I will restrain myself and just tell you how succulent and juicy that strawberry looks! Hope there are lots more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. Sadly, the strawberries are coming to an end. I might just get enough to last me for the remainder of this week. X

      Delete
  7. Perfect new mugs!!!!!

    And what a glorious garden you have this year. The bees and butterflies must be very grateful.

    Mistake after mistake, but it all worked out well, in the end.

    Do keep enjoying your beautiful area, in our long awaited summer time!

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't the mugs cute! I am very happy with them.
      The wildflowers are doing exactly what I'd hoped, as the garden has been full of bees and butterflies this year. There will be even more later on this week, when we release the five Painted Ladies we have 'grown'. X

      Delete
  8. Oh those mugs are so pretty! I wish I could find similar ones here. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sweet aren't they. Perhaps you might be able to find some online. X

      Delete
  9. Those mugs are adorable! I like your camper stove, too. I can relate to forgetting things. It's getting to the point that I need to make a list and cross things off of it. It sounds like everything worked out for the best, though. Your area is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camping stove comes in very handy at times. Even more so when I remember to take something to cook on it :) In my defence, I was leaving the sausages in the fridge until I left the house. X

      Delete
  10. You live in a beautiful place and your bike ride sounds wonderful in the early morning sunshine and your garden flowers and strawberries look lovely. Being forgetful certainly paid off and oh I would have loved to have met Max the Miracle Dog, I saw the dogs and statue on the news programme on TV, lucky you!
    Enjoying your picnic by the lake and those mugs, they are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. I did feel very lucky in the end. The dogs are just adorable. X

      Delete
  11. So glad you were able to have your sausages by the lake eventually. Those mugs are perfect . Your morning sound idyllic especially with the peaceful cycle into work. Not long until the end of term. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure those sausages tasted even more delicious than usual, because of the extra waiting :) I am now on countdown for the summer break. X

      Delete
  12. That could so easily have been a disappointing evening but some things are just meant to be and doing things off the cuff often turn out to be more memorable. The sausages look delicious and I love your new mugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely evening, Jo. Thankfully, everything turned out very well in the end. X

      Delete
  13. You live in such a gorgeous area of the country - those photos are a feast for the eyes, they truly are.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. It was good to seize the opportunity to get out on a sunny afternoon. X

      Delete
  14. Stunning photos! It looks like you've had far better weather than us lately.
    The garden is looking wonderful. I accidently grew some of those white cornflowers last year, too. I'me late sowing them this year but I hope they turn out as gorgeous as yours have. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix. We've had our fair share of rain as well, but at least the gardens appreciate it, even if we don't. :)

      Delete
  15. Your so-called "mistake" worked out very well indeed - and obviously, I love your new camping mugs! I have a similar one myself which I keep in the summerhouse with a camping stove and kettle for what my husband calls "a wild cup of tea". x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very exciting to meet Max, Paddy and Harry. They are truly wonderful dogs and I can understand why they mean so much to Kerry.
      I had a feeling you would like the mugs :)

      Delete
  16. Happy summer! You really do love in such a gorgeous place and your flowers are all so pretty. Your new mugs are just the sweetest. Would you mind to share where they are from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. I got these mugs from the supermarket in Keswick but they are available online in the U.K. If you search 'Beatrix Potter enamel mugs' it should bring up some results for you. X

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. They are even nicer when filled with hot chocolate :)

      Delete
  18. What a lovely commute to work you have. Crikey, the sausage and mug saga read like a comedy of errors lol. The new mugs are a lovely silver lining though. Can you send summer back down here please. It's done nothing but rain on and off for a few days now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely ride into work at this time of year. Not so much in winter when it is dark and wet.
      Yes, I really thought I'd messed up forgetting both the sausages AND the mugs, but how wonderful it was to meet Max. And Kerry, of course :)
      Hopefully we will soon see a return to some sunny weather. It has been very hit and miss the last few days. X

      Delete
  19. Can I pinch your camping stove please, it's just the right shade of blue for my tent :) I bought a similar one from my local Range store a while ago but it's a much darker blue. I was in Keswick myself on Friday, then drove down to the bottom of Derwentwater and back up again with the intention of stopping somewhere by the lake but there were too many cars, dogs and stupid people! My son bought me the book about Max but I haven't read it yet. I love your new mugs, they are very cute and pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is a great read. It must have been, as I read it in just over a day, which is unheard of for me :)
      Keswick can get a bit busy at this time of year, so I don't visit as often as I would during the winter months. There is usually parking if you are willing to walk a little way (I will message you).
      My camping stove was from Halfords - and no, you cant pinch it :D

      Delete
  20. What a lovely post.
    So pleased everything turned out well in the end.
    Those sausages look delicious and I love your new mugs.

    Happy July Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    PS Fabulous photographs on your post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. It turned out to be a very enjoyable evening. X

      Delete
  21. Love those mugs Jules! Wow, what a journey to work, amazing view. Must be an absolute delight to cycle (unless coming uphill maybe? :0 ). We have some 'Blackball' cornflowers, in a deep chocolately purple, that we are enjoying this year. I can almost smell those delicious sausages sizzling in the pan. Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I tried the uphill cycle to work just the once - never again :)

      Delete
  22. Lovely post. I bought new metal mugs too this week and it was a very pleasurable purchase. Fabulous photos as always from your part of the world. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I hope we'll both get plenty of use out of our mugs this summer. X

      Delete
  23. I'm a bit late to the party (so to speak) but that really was a beautiful and heartwarming post. I've never cooked a sausage by Derwentwater but I've had many hot drinks on the old Primus stove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Graham. Cooking sausages by the lake has become a bit of a tradition for us. It was, however, our first time by Derwentwater :)
      Would definitely recommend. X

      Delete