Monday 1 November 2021

Rainy Days and Pumpkins

 


Once again, thank you so very much for all your lovely messages. I cannot begin to express just how much it means to me knowing I am in your thoughts. I will reply to you all very soon, I promise. With each day that passes my heart feels just a little bit lighter. 


So, my time off didn't go quite to plan. For obvious reasons I cancelled our planned trip away. It wouldn't have felt right, and in all honesty I wouldn't have been able to enjoy myself. It was a shame really, as the weather on the east coast looked to have been much brighter than at home. To say it has been a bit wet here would be an understatement, and my heart goes out to those who's homes and businesses have been affected by flooding yet again. Wind and rain lashing against the windows has been the soundtrack to much of the week, standing water covered many of the roads and any unnecessary travel has been avoided.


Because of this I have been mainly hunkered down at home and unusually for me I've hardly ventured out, preferring instead to stay cosy and dry indoors. We did, however, go out just for a short while, so that we could choose our Hallowe'en pumpkins and I spent a very productive afternoon carving them. It never ceases to amaze me how I manage to do this without somehow causing myself serious injury, although I suspect it's very much down to good fortune rather than my knife skills. 
And I didn't let anything go to waste either. The flesh was quickly turned into some delicious spiced pumpkin soup and the seeds were gently tossed in olive oil before roasting them in the oven. They taste so so good, and are very moreish. If you've never tried roasting them before, I can definitely recommend it. Just be careful not to eat them all in one go. 





At the weekend, and during another brief respite from the unrelenting rain, we put on our boots and set out to enjoy just a small part of what autumn has to offer. The leaves are changing rather rapidly now and with the sun making a brief appearance it was wonderful to spend some time amongst the beautiful seasonal colours. I would like to say we enjoyed kicking through the crisp fallen leaves, but disappointingly they were far more soggy than they were crunchy - still pretty though, especially in the bright sunshine.


Last night we welcomed some delightfully scary looking characters at our door for Hallowe'en, and you know it really did feel so good after the quiet of last year. During the evening many chocolates and sweets were given and received. I always end up buying far too many but they never seem to last long in this house. 


I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned this here before, but Hallowe'en is also a special day for another reason. It is the day I officially adopted Mog! It has now been six years since Lily and I drove to the animal shelter and brought her back home to live with us. 
I think she's happy to be here. 

J. X



40 comments:

  1. Love your pumpkins. Mog is a lucky cat to have found such a loving home with you, happy anniversary Mog. Time is a healer as they say and I'm glad your heart is not so heavy now. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. I think Mog realised she was on to a good thing when she came to live with us :)

      Delete
  2. These early days after a close bereavement are very difficult with our emotions all over the place. It will have done you good to spend some quiet days at home, along with a trip out here and there for a change of scenery. We've had quite a bit of rain here too over the last few days, but nothing like where you are. I think Mog has the right idea snuggling on the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the exhaustion I seem to be struggling with the most at the moment. I'm hoping it will pass. Perhaps I should try and be more Mog. X

      Delete
  3. Mog looks so content - I am sure she looks upon you as home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling Mog knew she was home on the very same day she arrived. X

      Delete
  4. Mog appears very content indeed. If it's any consolation it was very wet and windy on the East coast too, definitely not nice enough to venture outside much. The Autumnal colours look amazing and so does that soup. I'm afraid the only pumpkins I had anything to do with this year were crochet ones. Take Care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those pumpkins looked great, Linda. I have three crocheted ones which get displayed each year but my daughter would like me to make some in different colours now. X

      Delete
  5. Ohhhh you have (what we call) Japanese Lanterns there! We used to have them growing and now, they are gone. Used to be invasive. Now, I miss them. Sigh

    Glad you are feeling better.

    Happy Finding A Home Day to Mog!

    🍂 🍂 🍂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Japanese Lanterns being in many gardens when I was a child. You don't see them as often now. X

      Delete
  6. She looks avery happy kitty! Lovely photos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She should be! Mog landed on all for paws when she arrived here :)

      Delete
  7. That little furry face in the last photo says it all - yes, she looks happy.
    Happy 'Gotcha-day' to Mog 🤍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate. Mog makes me happy as well, although not so much at 5am!

      Delete
  8. Such beautiful photos of autumn! And those jack-o-lanterns! The pumpkin soup and toasted seeds look great! We didn't carve any pumpkins, this year, but, I do have a pumpkin to be turned into something delicious! Yes, I'd say Mog feels quite happy in your home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autumn is a lovely time of year, Bless. I just wish our weather was far less wet. X

      Delete
  9. I have never actually carved a pumpkin, I admire anyone who does! You did a good job. Mog looks very content. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try, Shazza. Even if only to make soup:)

      Delete
  10. Aww Mog looks so content there.

    Beautiful photographs on your post, the Autumnal colours are amazing.
    I can smell the soup from here ... delicious.

    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mog should look content, she was fast asleep in the middle of my new sofa :) It has her approval, at least. X

      Delete
  11. Hello. I went back a few posts to see what I had missed. I am so very sorry for your loss. Quiet days at home, especially this cozy time of year, are good for all those emotions that come with grief. Hugs of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mog looks very cosy. Love those pumpkins and the expressions and pleased that you are feeling like a quick blog again it is always a pleasure to hear from you. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vivien. The pumpkins don't look very scary, do they. I am always in awe at the more intricate designs some people create. X

      Delete
  13. I love the autumn photos even the the leaves were more soggy than crunchy. Happy anniversary to Mog, she looks so content to be there. Was she called that when you got her or did you name her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we can enjoy crunching the leaves very soon, as the next few days are forecast to be sunny and cold.
      Mog was re-named. She was previously 'Willow' but she's definitely more like a Mog. Xx

      Delete
  14. She's so cute. I'm sorry you weren't able to enjoy your holiday. I was out of town on vacation last week, so I will have to catch up and see what happened. Your jack o' lanterns are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello,it's nice to see you feeling you can share these beautiful pics with us.It's so hard and takes time,but a little every day.Loving the Pumpkins,and must try the Roasted Seeds,never done that.I love Mog,we lost our Ronni the Mog 6yrs ago on the 5th November he was 16 and very poorly.Huggles xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee. The roasted seeds are delicious. Just rinse, then boil in some salted water for around ten minutes. Gently toss in some garlic infused olive oil, spread thinly on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for around twenty minutes or until lightly browned. X

      Delete
  16. Glad to hear you've begun the slow journey to recovery on the long road of grief. It really is true what they say...time is a great healer...though painful I think it is an important process and all part of the circle of life. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Jules. I am glad to hear you are doing well and enjoying some cozy days at home. I think Mog has the right idea snuggling up on the sofa. It's very cool, rainy day here today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mog is quite content if her day consists of eating and sleeping. X

      Delete
  18. That's one content moggy! The pumpkin soup looks like good healing soul food xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup was delicious. I only wish I had made more. X

      Delete
  19. Mog looks like a very happy and contented cat.
    The pumpkin display and soup look wonderful and I'm sure taste just as good too. I have never tried making pumpkin soup myself but feel I must give it a go in the near future. Thank you for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The farm shop always looks inviting and I love to see the seasonal display at this time of year.
      Pumpkin soup is delicious. X

      Delete
  20. I really enjoyed this, an insight into your day. The photos are great!

    ReplyDelete