Wednesday 29 December 2021

A Restful Day

 


Fortunately, besides feeling a little tired and achy, I haven't felt too bad following my vaccination. My arm has been a little swollen - unsurprisingly - but I've taken some paracetamol and drunk plenty of water, so I'm sure I'll be as right as rain again by tomorrow.

After yesterday's excitement, I decided a quiet day spent at home might be for the best. Even if I'd had any notion of going out, perhaps only for a short walk, the dark pewter sky and rain lashing against the windows this morning was enough for me to change my mind. It was grim.

Instead, I stuck to my original plan of cleaning out the kitchen and sorting through the cupboards. Never let it be said I don't know how to have a good time :)
Seriously though,  it felt good. I now know exactly what I have in the fridge and freezer , I can clearly see what is in the cupboard, and I'm sure I must have enough wine to last me until next Christmas! 

For some reason, this year, I feel more ready than usual to let go of the Christmas decorations. Everything is beginning to look just a little tired. The wooden snowflakes, which fell over several days ago now, are still lying there waiting to be picked up, and some of the greenery has begun to look far from fresh. I've already taken down the wooden reindeer lights, which were hung beneath the kitchen wall units, and thrown out some of the holly from the coffee table. I expect more will follow tomorrow and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't all get packed away by the weekend. I would probably be tempted to do it now if it wasn't for Lily. 

For now, at least, the candles are lit and I can relax in the glow of the tree lights, while enjoying a glass of my Spiced Blackberry Vodka. We've loved decorating our little tree again this year, but I'm not sure if it will make it indoors next Christmas - Lily is wanting to go bigger!

J. X



30 comments:

  1. Snap :)
    I too enjoyed a restful day today.

    A little different tomorrow as it will be shopping day!

    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I should probably go shopping. I need to eat something else besides cheese! X

      Delete
  2. Nothing wrong with a quiet day at home and some easy chores. I did get out for a walk, it was quite pleasant (just above freezing) and cleaned the shower stall in my bathroom. That was it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This quiet time between Christmas and New Year lends itself to easy days and gentle walks. X

      Delete
  3. That sounds like the ingredients of a perfect restful day. Clearing out and sorting is a good way to spend your time when you are motivated. I am glad to hear that you have not been ill after your vaccine.

    It was a really soggy day today wasn't it, I braved the food shops to pick up a few items to get us through until next week. It was very quiet everywhere which was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually when I feel motivated, I don't have the time, so it was the perfect opportunity :)

      Delete
  4. Hope you feel back to normal tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My decorations always come down on New Year's Eve although I've not mant to take down this year as we didn't even bother with a tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a set day for taking down the decorations. Usually it is when I know I have time to give everything a proper clean afterwards. X

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you are not feeling too many side effects from the booster. Sounds like you spent your time at home very productively, cleaning the kitchen and sorting through the cupboards! I realized that, this year, I didn't put up quite as many decorations as I normally do - it'll be easier to undecorate! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a while, the decorations begin to look a little cluttered and I like to give everything a thorough clean. X

      Delete
  7. I'm glad your reaction has been so mild. A few painkillers are a real blessing, aren't they?

    Well done with organising the kitchen again. It really helps, I agree. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. I'm relieved I didn't suffer any ill effects. X

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you didn't suffer too many side effects from your badly administered booster jab, having a restful day sounds just the job. Lily may have forgotten she wants a bigger Christmas tree before next year comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the new tree decorations we get each year, we will probably need a bigger tree just to fit them all on! X

      Delete
  9. Keep hold of some of the vestages of Winter decorations. They brighten the dull days and dark evenings. Christmas Day was as wet as can be here. Boxing Day brightened a little and I did venture out for a quiet solitary walk in the afternoon. Then it was back to rain rain and more rain. It still can't seem to stop even now. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday, it rained here most of the day and then all through the night. I hope it has cleared, so I can get out for a New Year's Eve walk. X

      Delete
  10. I’ve got that itch too to declutter and sort out wardrobes and cupboards. Just one more big meal to go tomorrow night and then time to have a clear out. That blackberry vodka sounds yum. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dislike clutter, so I'm looking forward to feeling on top of things again. X

      Delete
  11. I'm always ready for the decorations to come down but Mick likes them to stay up for a while so I'm not sure who will win on this one. I like these quiet days between Christmas and New Year when we have nowhere to be and we're free to just potter, though I haven't felt like doing much anyway as I'm full of cold. Glad you're side effects haven't been too severe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good not having to rush out to work on these dark, gloomy mornings. I hope you feel better soon. X

      Delete
  12. Normally our tree would have been gently undressed and returned to frolic in the garden with the big trees but with one thing and another (omicrom being the major one) we have had such a spread out family chrimbly that pending a clear test later today - our Eldest son and lovely girl will be here tonight to open their pressies loitering beneath the tree - I hope they can come xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds lovely. I hope you enjoyed your evening. X

      Delete
  13. I'm in decluttering mode as well Jules and I'm having to sit on my hands to stop myself from taking the tree down and putting the decorations away, but it's definitely the first job I'll be doing on New Year's Day. Glad you're not feeling too poorly with the jab. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree is still up, for now at least. It might even see in the New Year. X

      Delete
  14. Glad you seem to be OK after your jab Jules. Hubby and I had ours as well as our daughter all on the same day.
    I shall start my decluttering once we are in 2022 I think :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverley. It's a relief to have finally had it. X

      Delete
  15. I rather enjoy a bit of clearing out and cleaning, I find it clears the mind as well as cupboards. I have my vaccination on Monday 3rd. It will be my fourth (long story).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. There is nothing better than a good tidy. X

      Delete