Wednesday 22 December 2021

A Short Walk From Settle


I often feel a sense of relief when we pass the winter solstice. Just the knowledge that our daylight hours are now increasing, even though it will be a while before it becomes apparent. That first moment when it becomes noticeable gives me a little boost, as these dark winter days take their toll after some time.


Yesterday, we returned to Settle. We hadn't been back since the end of August, when the Flowerpot Festival was taking place, and I really wanted to walk the short loop from the town over to Sugar  Loaf Hill.  The weather was similar to the previous day. It was chilly and overcast but the air was still and, most importantly, it was forecast to remain dry. Initially, the path climbed sharply from the market square with views overlooking the town and the hills beyond, before levelling out where we reached the dramatic Warrendale Knotts, complete with a small cave to explore.


Being surrounded by hills, Lily discovered the area lent itself well to echoing her voice, therefore the words 'bottom', 'underpants' and 'bogies' could probably be heard from quite some distance away :) Sugar Loaf Hill itself was quite uninspiring - I didn't even take a photograph! But it was a really lovely walk. I'm sure the views would have stretched further on a clear day, and the limestone scenery made a pleasant change from our usual Lake District views.


Before heading back downhill towards the lane into Settle, we stopped at a sheltered spot to enjoy our lunch. It wasn't long before the cold began to set in and I was thankful for my flask of hot chocolate - it seems to be becoming a habit! I had brought some hand warmers with me, but for some reason they didn't work and it was ages before I could feel my fingers again, even with my gloves on. Arriving back in the town again, we had a look around at the many beautiful festive window displays and the delightfully decorated tree in the square, before returning to the car.


Edited to add, I forgot to post this charming 'Twelve Days of Christmas' display in an old telephone box, which we passed by on our way back into town. Although, I think one of the geese may have flown away :)

Finally, late last night, I made a start on my Christmas wrapping. My initial intention of wrapping as I went along didn't quite go to plan. Next year, maybe :)

J. X

26 comments:

  1. Lovely views and a lovely walk, I'm sure. Way better than trailing around shops doing Christmas shopping. I did my gift shop on Monday and tomorrow will do my food shop. That's enough of dragging through stores for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food shop is on my list of things to do today. I don't need much and I'm going early to beat the rush. X

      Delete
  2. Years since I went there but I remember a pleasant town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like it there, and there are some delightful little shops in the main square. X

      Delete
  3. It looks like a nice change of scenery Jules, and Lily's choice of words just made me giggle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I don't know why I was surprised. Although, she did also shout 'Merry Christmas!' - just to add a festive spin. X

      Delete
    2. I like the photo update, what a lovely colourful way to use a redundant phone box :)

      Delete
    3. It was a lovely surprise, when we opened the door. X

      Delete
  4. Good for you, Lily - be a free spirit!
    As always, lovely photos of a lovely part of the world.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. She's definitely that! X

      Delete
  5. Glad you were able to enjoy another walk, Jules! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been trying to make the most of the dry weather. X

      Delete
  6. I remember walking from Settle to Malham on a school trip, many years ago now. I'm the same when we pass the winter solstice, I'll be pleased when we start to notice the evenings getting a little lighter again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a lovely walk and would have probably followed the same path. I'm already dreaming of summer days spent at the lake. X

      Delete
  7. I love that twelve days of Christmas,what a clever idea someone had to do that. Thank you for sharing.
    I'm all done with the wrapping now and I'm not doing the main cooking on the big day either so I am very happy. Enjoy a very Happy Christmas with your family x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can now relax and enjoy your Christmas. X

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure if Sugar Loaf or Catbells was my first ever Lake District walk as a child but I know I loved both.
    Loving the woolly Twelve Days of Xmas.
    We were on our way to deliver the last of the presents but our friends have just found out that they've got Covid - looks like we'll be chucking them over the gates instead! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hope your friends will have a speedy recovery. X

      Delete
  9. It is always lovely when you go and walk in a different area isn't it, especially when it is different scenery to that which you are used to walking in. We are so blessed to have so many wonderful places to walk, right or nearly on our doorstep. The words that Lily shouted bought a smile to my face, oh to be eight years old.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With everywhere being so quiet just now, I was very tempted to go further into The Lakes but I'm glad we 'settled' 😉 on Yorkshire. It made for a pleasant change. X

      Delete
  10. So glad I don't have to wrap any more!!!! -smile-

    Happy, Happy Christmas...
    🎄🌟🎄🌟🎄🌟🎄🌟🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always takes me so much longer than I expect. X

      Delete
  11. Another lovely walk and photos. The old telephone box is wonderful, what a good idea to make use of it like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. We came across the telephone box quite unexpectedly, so it was a lovely surprise to discover what was inside. X

      Delete
  12. That's certainly a colourful telephone box ... I like it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see what's inside at other times during the year. X

      Delete