Thursday 30 December 2021

Dreich


The weather today has been miserable, overcast and gloomy, and it has rained continuously since late morning. It has been so dark recently that even my houseplants are beginning to droop and show signs of lacking enough sunlight - I understand how they must be feeling :) I might need to reposition the ones furthest from the window.

There has been some more removing of Christmas decorations. This time the kitchen and dining room have been on the receiving end of my spontaneous cleaning. The little kitchen tree has been returned to the garden once again and the window garland is back in it's box. I may even tackle the living room tomorrow,  I'll see how I feel. Lily doesn't like it when I pack away the Christmas things, but as she would quite happily leave the decorations up all year round, I won't use her heavy heart as an excuse to leave them up for too much longer. I also worked my way through a large pile of ironing -  seriously, where does it all come from? -  and then I flattened some boxes ready to take for recycling. Neither very exciting, but necessary. 

This afternoon we went swimming. It has been a few weeks since I've been in the water and it felt good to be doing some sort of physical activity that didn't involve being wrapped up in several layers in order to keep myself warm. That said, a little extra heating of the pool wouldn't have gone amiss. It just meant I needed to keep moving, which, after the excesses of Christmas, was not such a bad thing. Lily, of course, thoroughly enjoyed herself and, as usual, it took some persuasion to get her out of the water at the end of our session.

Tomorrow, I expect I'll spend a quiet day at home. At the moment I don't  have any plans but, weather permitting, I can hopefully get out for a walk at some point. 

J. X



34 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had a busy day. The rest of my decs will come down tomorrow too and I'll have a good clean everywhere ready to welcome the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It usually takes me longer to clean, than it does to remove the decorations :)

      Delete
  2. Some people are putting Christmas away. Not here yet, but we don't have that many decorations. So they don't get bothersome, so soon. Or..... Wellllll.... I guess I don't want to put them away, as soon as others do.

    At some time, I will just "want to." And then, I will. -smile-

    You liked my "Healthy Life Style" contemplating post. Hope you will share what you decide on.

    Merry Midwinter Wishes
    Hugs and Love,
    🌲 ⛄ 🌲 ⛄ 🌲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want it all gone, just yet. Although I think the rest will probably be packed away some time over the weekend. X

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you were quite productive even if the weather was dismal. But, don't you keep the decorations up for the 12 days of Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to, but as I will be back at work by then, it is easier to get things packed away while I have the time. X

      Delete
  4. The swimming sounds nice and the exercise good. The weather is miserable isn't it and I'm always glad to be back home after walking the pup.I usually take my decorations down on the 12th day of Christmas but have had much fewer up this year and I'm undecided about when I'll pack them away. I can imagine Lily doesn't want Christmas to end :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not wrong, Eileen. Lily loves everything about Christmas. X

      Delete
  5. I sympathise with Lily, I really do. I shall be sad to take my things down and put them away.
    Happy New Year to you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss the twinkling of the fairy lights. I might leave some out this year. X

      Delete
  6. I call these days, battleship days, because the sky it the colour of a battelship. I'm fed up with them now and long for a bit of sunshine.
    Happy new year.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we could all do with a bit of sunshine just now.
      Happy New Year, Briony. X

      Delete
  7. Our decorations are still up, though they'd be down in time for the New Year if I had my way. It's a long time since I've been swimming, we used to go regularly but the pool shut down for refurbishment and we haven't been back since, I really need to make more of an effort as it's good exercise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to go swimming. It's the rush to get showered and changed afterwards that I don't like. X

      Delete
  8. Brrr...a chilly pool....and going out with wet hair...a pet hate of mine! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I was dreaming of swimming at the outdoor pool in the sunshine. X

      Delete
  9. Our decs are coming down tomorrow or Sunday depending on how we feel. I'm ready to pack the all away now. Have a wonderful 2022. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cherie. I think I'll be taking the rest of my decorations down over the weekend. X

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year, Jem!
    Keep those decs up till Twelfth Night! My parents did when we were children. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Vix! I'll be back at work on the 5th, so I will definitely be taking them down before then. X

      Delete
  11. Ooooh I do love a snow globe and that one is a corker. I've already packed all my decs away. I'm thinking the tree may end up at a local goat farm as they eat trees, who knew?
    Happy New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the snow globe for Lily last year, it even plays a tune.
      I had no idea goats ate trees! Although, I think they eat pretty much anything :)

      Delete
  12. My decorations will be staying up a while longer before they return to their 11 month home in the loft. We are planning to see the new year in with our daughter this year.
    Wishing you all a very Happy New Year xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will enjoy a lovely evening. Happy New Year Beverley. X

      Delete
  13. That snow globe looks lovely.
    Our decorations will come down over the weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I think I'll take mine down on Sunday. X

      Delete
  14. I was fascinated by your title. It's one of the most wonderfully descriptive words in the Scottish language but until I came to live here half a century ago I'm sure I'd never heard it.

    ReplyDelete