Tuesday 7 December 2021

Dried Orange Slices

 


Those bells are still hiding somewhere. I'm sure they will turn up tomorrow, once I open up the Christmas boxes and unwrap all the tree decorations. I am looking forward to finally having the tree in the house, although I expect Mog will probably just raise her eyebrows in typical cat fashion, as if to say 'here we go again!' I don't mind, she's always been very good with anything like that. The first year she was with us, she climbed up into the tree but she was much smaller then, I doubt she would manage it now even if she tried. She will occassionally tap at the baubles on the lower branches but that's all. I realise I'm very lucky. 

It's been a busy day. Time has passed quickly at work, which is always enjoyable at this time of year. Exhausting, but definitely a lot of fun.

The storm has been wreaking havoc throughout the afternoon and although the strong winds are beginning to die down now, I can still hear sudden gusts against the windows. I do hope there won't be too much damage.

During a short break this morning, I took the time to dry some orange slices ready for when we decorate the tree tomorrow. I did this for the first time last year and I loved how they turned out. They looked so pretty hung from the tree branches with the warm glow from the fairy lights shining against them.
Some drying methods require the oranges to be in a low oven for several hours, but I sliced mine thinly, then placed them on a wire rack, and they took just 45 minutes at 120°, turning halfway through.
Tomorrow  I will thread them with some floristry wire and if I'm feeling fancy, I might even add some ribbon :)

J. X

38 comments:

  1. Lovely x and I bet they fill the room with their fragrance as they dry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate. They did smell wonderful. X

      Delete
  2. They will be a gorgeous addition to your tree. I'm tempted to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. They are very simple to do. X

      Delete
  3. I bet those oranges smell lovely, thanks for posting how you dried them I might have a go at that. Wet and windy all day here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be something to pass the time while you weather the storm. X

      Delete
  4. Your dried orange slices look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. I just need to hang them on the tree now. X

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the reminder, I am going to try placing the rack next to the woodburner and see how that works.

    Hope you have come through the storm undamaged, it is still too dark here to look outside and see if there is still a tarpaulin over my log pile . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea.
      No damage here, thankfully. I hope your log pile has remained unscathed. X

      Delete
  6. I do a few orange slices every year now as I love the smell as they are drying. They add a little splash of colour everywhere too.🎄

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natural decorations are lovely on a tree. I hope those bells turn up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope Tree-Decorating-Day goes well today! 8 yrs old is the perfect age for getting maximum joy from this activity.
    The orange slices are lovely, and I can just imagine how beautiful they will look with the real tree, still growing, with roots, in its pot! Cut trees make me sad too - but my garden is too small for rehoming real ones, so I have a 20+ yr old fake tree instead.
    Have a lovely day.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mog is a good cat you are lucky. As Tilly is only eleven months old I'm not trusting her with the Christmas tree this year, I know her so well :) The dried orange slices look lovely, I remember your doing them last year. The storm is bad here with a risk of flooding from the high tide but thankfully the wind isn't quite as strong as Arwen was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better to be cautious. And you really wouldn't want to end up at the vets, with Tilly having eaten something she shouldn't.
      I hope you didn't have any damage from the storm. X

      Delete
  10. That is a brilliant project Jules. Nice and simple with long lasting effect. Love it x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh they must smell absolutely wonderful. Hope you take a photo of them on your tree. :) X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do, Shazza. And I will be sure to take some photographs. X

      Delete
  12. Something I've been meaning to do for years and always forget

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really so easy. I don't know why I never did this before. X

      Delete
  13. Those orange slices are beautiful. What a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realise you can buy them already dried but it was just a nice thing to do. X

      Delete
  14. Those orange slices look gorgeous. I have a dryer but haven’ t used it much. I must do so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The orange slices are so cheery. I may giv ethis a try as I have a few oranges that need some attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little unsure when I first made some last year, but I think they look lovely on the tree. X

      Delete
  16. Oranges are one of the definitive Christmas aromas, aren't they, and so beautiful.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do smell amazing. I might even add some cloves anther time. X

      Delete
  17. Oh,I love your ideas you are so inspirational.I'm going to do this.thanks xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so simple to make and I love how they look on the tree. X

      Delete
  18. so pretty. the oranges when they warm from the lights give off a scent? Lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've noticed that. They do smell lovely. X

      Delete
  19. What a good idea those orange slices are.
    Hope the bells turn up for you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete