Sunday 19 December 2021

Jack Frost Nipping at My Nose



It was still incredibly cold when I woke this morning. As I crept quietly downstairs and into the kitchen, my head was turned by the brightness of the full moon shining in through the window. It was beautiful. The Cold Moon, a sign of the approaching solstice, and with it the ever increasing daylight hours. I sat alone and drank my first coffee of the day, before checking the bird feeder, then hanging up the laundry to dry.
 

Just as I had promised, Lily's bedding was changed. Every Christmas she likes to use the same Santa and reindeer duvet cover that she has had for years now, and I must admit even I think it is quite cute, especially considering I'm not a fan of the bearded one! I've also bought some new fitted sheets with Christmas trees on. They're brushed cotton, so are extra cosy.


Mid morning, we wrapped up well and went out for a walk. Even in our hats, scarves and gloves it was all we could do to keep warm. The grass and leaves crunched beneath our feet, as I wrapped my scarf around just that little bit tighter, slightly regretting my decision not to wear my salopettes, as the cold air seeped through my jeans. 
A short stop off at a nearby cafe provided me with an opportunity for a quick warm up. My icy cold fingers grateful to be wrapped around a steaming mug of Hot chocolate. 



Any respite was shortlived,  however, as the return to the car was just as chilly. By this time my nose had turned pink and my fingers were going numb. I should know by now, that my body does not deal with cold weather very well, as when I got home it took me an age until i was feeling properly warm again. Thank goodness for cosy sofas and warm snuggly blankets.

This evening, I finally got around to baking a tray of mincemeat shortbread. I had originally intended to bake some individual mince pies but as we will no doubt be going out walking later on in the week, some slices of shortbread are far easier to wrap up and take with me. If, indeed, it lasts that long ;)

J. X






26 comments:

  1. I too noticed that incredibly bright moon when I went to the bathroom around four this morning.
    Your photographs are so evocative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. The moon took me quite by surprise, as I hadn't been expecting a clear sky. X

      Delete
  2. Every time I hear the song of that title line I think of the bleeper round in I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue on the radio where they bleep out potentially offensive words. "Chestnuts roasting round an opem fire, Jack Frost nipping at your bzzzzzzzzzzzz".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favourite Christmas songs. X

      Delete
  3. It was so, so cold yesterday and very dark. Your photos although lovely make me feel chilly. Definitely hot chocolate weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning photographs, thanks.
    How chocolate is very comforting in the cold, isn't it?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. It's good to warm up with a hot chocolate after a chilly walk. X

      Delete
  5. In case I don't get to post until after the holiday, enjoy your Christmas.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos. I checked the forecast and it isn't set to warm up any time soon and I don't deal well with the cold either. I'll be glad when we're past the solstice and I can look forward to the days lengthening again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I am looking forward to that first moment when the longer days become noticeable. X

      Delete
  7. Such beautiful photos Jules, a cold and frosty walk is a wonderful thing but I hear you on getting cold. I hope you have managed to warm up now. The moon has been wonderful these past few days, it was so lovely last night, shining into my kitchen window as I was preparing tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see the moon so bright, as I hadn't expected there to be a clear sky. All warm and cosy, thank you, until next time... X

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous photos of the frost, Jules! It ceratinly looks prettier than it's been here with miserable fog and drizzle! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a beautiful morning, Vix. We have our fair share of fog and drizzle here, so this bright frosty weather as been most welcome. X

      Delete
  9. Beautiful photos Jules. The trees look wonderful as silhouettes against the early morning frost. Mincemeat tray bakes are very tempting when you don't want to make yet more mincepies :)
    Hope you managed to thaw out and enjoy the rest of the day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mincemeat shortbread is delicious and when I'm short for time they are much less 'faffy' to make than individual mince pies. X

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos, but, I don't know how you can go walking in that cold! Just looking at the photos makes me feel cold! Brr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder myself :) I wrap myself up very well. X

      Delete
  11. So pleased you got the Christmas Duvet cover on :)

    Your 4th photograph is so beautiful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I love to see trees silhouetted against a wintry sky. X

      Delete
  12. It does look cold in your part of the world! It can take a long time to warm up after being outside in the cold. I noticed that my body retains a memory of being cold for hours, sometimes bedtime, and it starts to shiver again. Have a wonderful time walking when you have a chance. Hope there are some mincemeat shortbread slices left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always felt the cold easily. A slight breeze in the summer will have me reaching for my jacket. I think I will have to invest in some hand warmers. :)

      Delete
  13. Still can't comment sorry.I love this post Awesome photos.It is freezing
    here at the moment but no snow forcast.Wishing you and Lily and Mog a very
    happy christmas.I know it will be tough for you.Hoping 2022 will be a much
    improved year for us all.Love and Hugs Lee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee. A very Merry Christmas to you too. Xx

      Delete