Saturday 18 December 2021

On a Cold and Frosty Morning

 


Yesterday, I spent much of the evening resting on the sofa, enjoying a glass of port, this last week of work before the Christmas holidays began had been joyous and exhausting in equal measure. But it wasn't without disappointment, as last night I made the sad decision to cancel our trip to Edinburgh to visit this year's Christmas markets. I must admit, it wasn't an easy decision, as I had been looking forward to it all year, having booked the hotel way back in January when I naively assumed the current situation would have vastly improved - how wrong could I have been! Having deliberated over my decision for some time, once it was reached, I felt relieved. Proof if ever was needed it was the right choice in the end. Never mind, we will still enjoy ourselves, just closer to home. And fingers crossed, we just might get there next year, although I have a feeling things will get worse before they get better.


Anyway, this morning dawned unexpectedly bright and frosty, a pleasant surprise. I discovered this as I tiptoed outside at 7am to top up the bird feeder. Two more fat balls into the cage and some clean water replacing the solid block of ice which had formed in the dish. I will need to replenish the bags of seed this week, as it looks as though the chilly weather might be with us for a while.


After a warming breakfast of porridge and compote, I took myself off for a walk alongside the river. By this time a low mist had descended over the fields and the sun had all but disappeared. Previously muddy footpaths were frozen beneath my feet and the evidence of recent storms was apparent, as I needed to make a couple of short detours to avoid fallen trees. 



It was so quiet and still there. The river flowed almost silently beside me, the fields stood empty of cattle, now that winter is almost upon us. It felt good. Restorative even. I had spent most of the last week working indoors and, although tired, the lack of any form of exercise  had left me feeling restless and twitchy. 


At the halfway point I turned away from the riverside to return along a track which ran closer to the road. A little robin kept me company for a while, jumping from post to post on the fence beside the path. Here, I quickened my pace, as by this time I was ready to return home again. The mist hung low over the fields and even though I was wrapped up well, I was beginning to feel the cold.

I've spent the rest of the day catching up with the housework and I've promised Lily I will put the Christmas duvet covers on tomorrow. Then, who knows, I might finally get around to making those mince pies.

J. X



38 comments:

  1. Beautiful photography! You have a definite talent for capturing the mood. Sorry about your cancelled trip but probably the wisest decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I am not terribly disappointed, but I think it was the right decision under the circumstances. X

      Delete
  2. The frost makes such pretty photos, it's just been damp here all day with a misty evening. So sorry you had to cancel your trip, probably for the best given the situation though, I don't think anyone could have predicted that we would be in this same situation again at Christmas, finger crossed things will start to get better next year, from what I have been reading about this new variant it will slowly begin to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buy your mince pies.You will be helping small businesses if you buy locally.Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just what I've been doing so far. X

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos. Looks a lovely walk there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel. It's lovely there by the river. X

      Delete
  5. Such beautiful photos, thankyou.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure you made the right decision not to attend the Christmas markets. Stay home and be safe! That's what my daughter and I are doing! Our Covid numbers have shot up, practically overnight!

    Your countryside is beautiful but, so frosty and cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was bitterly cold yesterday, but the air was dry and still. It was a lovely walk and just what I needed. X

      Delete
  7. Hello Jules. I'm so sorry to learn you had to cancel your plans to visit the Christmas markets in Edinburgh. I know that was disappointing, but sounds like you made the right decision with everything that's currently going on. Fingers crossed you are able to go next year. I love a cold, frosty morning. They've been few and far between here. I'm hoping for more this winter that's for sure. What kind of compote to you add to your breakfast porridge? You've definitely motivated me to get out and go for a walk tomorrow. It'll be good for my body and mind both. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is disappointing, but really it's nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed for next year.
      I usually have a generous spoonful of blackberry and elderberry compote on my porridge. You can find the recipe on the side bar or on the recipes page. X

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you had the same weather as us yesterday, gorgeous walk though, well done.

    Good luck with today's plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful morning. Another gentle walk today I think. X

      Delete
  9. What a shame you had to cancel your plan to visit Edinburgh but understandable in the current circumstances. Beautiful photos from your walk, it's not been that cold and frosty here yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frosty weather has felt lovely and festive. I am disappointed about cancelling my trip, but I can hopefully look forward to going again next year. X

      Delete
  10. Such a shame the trip is off. We cancelled a trip to Lincoln. Like you we're really disappointed but it was a relief to have decided. It means this week we can relax at home and unwind a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would have felt differently if we hadn't been travelling by train - recently, I have heard many tales of crowded carriages and timetable disruptions. X

      Delete
  11. For what it is worth, I think you made absolutely the right decision re the Christmas markets. It is just not worth the risk right now.
    I was wondering about a stroll around town this week but have decided it's not worth it. I have to do an early morning shop and I will be going to the small group circuit training as there's plenty of room to distance but apart from that anything I do will be solo and distanced.
    Not because I particularly HAVE to, I just believe it is less selfish of me and safer all round. I do want my little family to be safe when they come here on Christmas Day.

    Beautiful photos, thank you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. It wasn't an easy decision to make but it was definitely the right one for me. I wouldn't have been able to relax and enjoy myself. There's always next year. X

      Delete
  12. It looks like a winter wonderland. It's been foggy here all weekend, it hasn't lifted at all, you can hardly see what's in front of your face. I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip to Edinburgh but better to be safe than sorry. Fingers crossed that the situation gets better soon, though I'm of the same mind as you, I think things will get worse before they get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going for a walk was such a lovely start to my day and the frost over the fields looked so pretty.
      I was worried Lily might have been terribly disappointed about cancelling the trip but fortunately she didn't seem to mind. I do hope this situation improves soon. X

      Delete
  13. Sorry to hear you've missed out on your trip. I do hope this current situation improves sooner rather than later. I'm sure you'll have a super Christmas anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry you decided to cancel your Edinburgh trip, it's disappointing but probably wise as you never know if the decision could be made for you at the drop of a hat. Hopefully you'll be able to go next year. Your photos are lovely as always, I love the third one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eunice. That was my main concern really. I'm sure it would have probably been fine, but I wouldn't have enjoyed it wondering if the trains would be disrupted, or if any new restrictions might have be imposed overnight. X

      Delete
  15. Oh thank you for taking us, on your lovely, lovely walk!!!!!! Your words and photos, are sublime. I'd love to go with you, but would be sure to trip and fall, on the first step! So this post of yours, is very much appreciated.

    Ahhhhh yes, the horrid world conditions, because of this ChinaCovid. The troubles continue. Although this latest version is not supposed to be much more than a cold. Still, why take the chance of being sick, on your trip?

    You made the right decision. And living in such a lovely area, will be able to have a Joyful Christmas Time, right there.

    Btw, I love it when you are not working!!!! You post more often!!!!!!! Which is a delightful happening, in my Blog List.

    Enjoy each and every minute! -smile-

    Happy Full Cold Moon!
    🎄 🌕 🎄
    Happy Winter Solstice/Yule!
    🎄 🌞 🎄


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, although it was a difficult decision, I feel quite relieved now. I know I wouldn't have been able to relax and enjoy myself as much as I should - and where is the fun in that.
      Hopefully we will make it there next year. X

      Delete
  16. Many thanks for sharing these lovely photographs.
    Hope you were able to get the Christmas duvet covers on.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a battle, but I got there in the end :)

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. I wish the weather was still this cold. X

      Delete