Sunday 26 December 2021

Quiet

Even though I am enjoying a quieter festive season this year, there was still no escaping the gradual build up and and general anticipation. Therefore, my post Christmas slump has landed much earlier than I expected. I've felt exhausted today. Rather than over indulgence, I think it probably has more to do with  having almost reached the end of another chaotic year in survival mode, and now I have finally allowed myself to relax. 

I'm not complaining, however. I've had a lovely Christmas and have spent much of today relaxing and doing very little. There aren't many days in the year when I can actually achieve this. 

We did manage to get out for a gentle walk this afternoon. The weather was a little wetter than had been forecast, so we cut it a little short and went through the woods, instead of up and over the hill. This is one of my favourite routes, as it is little known there, and usually very quiet, although today it was incredibly muddy underfoot. We had to be very careful not to slip. We took a slight detour from the main path to visit a very old Yew tree, which is said to be around 1600 years old! It looks remarkably well,  considering. 

As well as being damp, the weather was very cold, and so we didn't hang around for very long. Returning home, I was quick to warm up again with a mug of hot chocolate, and I also put my Christmas present of some slippers to good use. They are the cosiest pair I've ever owned.

This evening, my Boxing Day tradition of Biryani was much appreciated, and my day was rounded off with a small glass of Baileys. I might have to have a sort out in the kitchen tomorrow, as with all the generous gifts I've been given, it curently resembles a small off licence!

J. X

24 comments:

  1. Glad you have had a lovely quiet Christmas/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. I'm looking forward to the New Year now. X

      Delete
  2. Well done on getting out into the fresh air! It was rather gloomy here so I stayed indoors and tidied up from yesterday's festivities. I also indulged in a (not so) small glass of Bailey's tonight. It's the salted caramel version and seriously delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was damp and gloomy but it felt good to get out. X

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you were able to enjoy another walk today and spend some quiet time, relaxing. Lovely photo of the holly. Very Christmassy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better late than never, I only just discovered your comment in spam :)
      Thank you, Bless. Xx

      Delete
  4. I like the photo of the berries, they really stand out against the background. Christmas is the one time of year when I'm glad I don't have a family - other than doing a simple Christmas Day dinner for myself and Michael nothing is expected of me so I can be as lazy as I want for as long as I want. I've watched more tv over the last three days than I've watched in the last twelve months, with all the old musicals being top of the list and more yet to come :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are times I would very much like to do as I please, although I'm sure I will complain when that time eventually arrives. X

      Delete
  5. Ohhhh, that last photo! Simply gorgeous! -happy sigh-

    During this week, which some call "The Week That Time Forgot," which is a lovely time to really try to relax... Perhaps you could find a plan, to not spend next year, "in survival mode."<--your words. It really isn't a good way, to spend life. Not at all good, for one's health, let alone, one's quality of life. Wouldn't you agree?

    Gentle hugs,
    🌲 ⛄ 🌲 ⛄ 🌲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it was a strong choice of words but it hasn't been the easiest of years. X

      Delete
  6. I've come to look upon that post celebration slump as an integral and welcome part of the whole season - it's actually rather nice to be able to feel worn out and have a good old rest. Does that make sense?
    Biryani sounds so delicious!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! As always, you make perfect sense, Joy.
      It did me good to eat something that wasn't cheese :)

      Delete
  7. You've had a lovely Christmas and relaxed so I hope you can enjoy this time between Christmas and the New Year. Those berries look so lovely and nice you enjoyed your walk even though it is rather damp and cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy this in between time, but I am always happy to see a return to routine in the New Year. X

      Delete
  8. I enjoy the time after Christmas and before New Year when everyone can just do their own thing. It's far more relaxing than all the rushing about before Christmas trying to get everything ready for the big day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a time of no pressure and little expectation. X

      Delete
  9. Oh,I can comment again yaaaaay.Was thinking of you this Christmas for obvious reasons.I am glad you did enjoy your Christmas and have some quiet time too.As always I look forward to your Beautiful photos,and thank you for these.So calming and tranquil,I love nature.I did enjoy Christmas this year,a first for me as "The Anniversary" looms.But,I feel different this year more calm and able to cope.Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you've managed to get it sorted :) Thinking of you, Lee. X

      Delete
  10. I've always maintained we're built to survive whatever is thrown at us, but it's after the event that things can really take a toll mentally and physically. All I can say is be kind to yourself and enjoy the slow relaxing days as much as you can. Your lovely daily walks must be a real tonic for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne. It's those moments that catch me unawares that are the most difficult. X

      Delete
  11. My comment might not have gone through; the photo of the holly is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looked so festive, I couldn't resist taking a photograph. X

      Delete