Thursday 14 July 2022

Weekend Walking

Last weekend we were spoiled with some beautiful weather here, and as always I was up for making the most of it. 
On Saturday morning Lily and I set out to climb Clough Head, which is a rather steep looking fell just south of Threlkeld. Although I had checked out the route and done my usual 'research', I still wasn't quite sure what to expect. I am happy to report, I was pleasantly surprised. 


It was a bright, sunny morning and we set off nice and early, parking in a little lay-by on the road between Threlkeld and Thirlmere. From here, there were some lovely views over towards Blencathra, but Clough Head itself looked a little intimidating, the steep, rocky crags on it's eastern slopes disguising any obvious track. However, the route we were taking initially led us up and around the Old Coach Road, taking in more of the stunning scenery, before turning sharply to climb the grassy fell side. Besides the effort, the walk itself was very straightforward and as we neared the summit, we were treated to some amazing views over Keswick, Derwentwater and Bassenthwaite. We could even see Scotland in the far distance! After enjoying our summit chocolate (Chunky KitKat if you were wondering 😊) we made our way down the craggy side of the fell which, in fact, had a perfectly clear track with just a very short section of scree.








We did, however, make one slight detour, which had been requested by Lily. As we began our walk, she had spotted this bench and thought it a perfect spot to eat our picnic lunch - I think she was right! 

J. X

30 comments:

  1. Got to love a summit choc bar. :) The views look perfect from the bench too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our early start meant that it was much to soon to eat lunch at the top :)

      Delete
  2. Oh those views - amazing. So lacking in Suffolk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the perfect bench indeed - well chosen Lily!
    Lovely walk and photos :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very comfortable bench. Better still, I spotted a red squirrel while we were sitting there. X

      Delete
  4. Lily looks so at home there gazing over the scenery. She looks as if she’s going to be tall when I see those lovely long legs. Sorry for lack of comments but I am suddenly able to comment as anonymous agin! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily just loves being outdoors. She is already tall for her age, and growing up fast. X

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful day with your girl! I so enjoy seeing your beautiful world through your photos! Have a cozy day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Billie Jo. It was a lovely weekend to be out and about. X

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous as usual...

    Love her Doc Martins....

    What lovely countryside you live in....

    ✨ ✨ ✨ ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily does wear DM's but these are, in fact, her walking boots. X

      Delete
  7. Such a lovely walk and wonderful views. I hope your Chunky Kit Kats hadn't melted in the heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had been in the freezer overnight ;)

      Delete
  8. Please tell Lily from me how I admire her beautiful hair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a good walk. The views are great and Lily was right, that bench is perfect for a picnic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely walk, but it was the views that really made it so great. X

      Delete
  10. I love Clough Head, it is a long time since I was up there. The views are wonderful aren't they. I hope you didn't get too hot, it was really really warm over the weekend wasn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We chose a really great day for it. Sunny but with a cool breeze. The following day was much warmer. X

      Delete
  11. What gorgeous views! Just stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The amazing views really made the walk worthwhile. X

      Delete
  12. What lovely views! I like the idea of a summit chocolate and a picnic lunch on that bench! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we had set off so early, to have eaten lunch at the summit would have been much too soon. Making a detour to the bench was such a good idea. The views were pretty great as well. X

      Delete
  13. It looks like such a lovely walk, and to see Scotland in the distance...I'm completely pea green with envy! So glad you found the bench for lunch, and well chocolate...what could be better?! Thank you for allowing us a glimpse of where you explore...I know if I ever visit, I'll never come back home! I have a dream of a little farm in the middle of many, many acres surrounded by a stone wall and lots of sheep. Sigh... Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your dream comes true, could I please come and live with you? :)

      Delete
    2. Why not?! I know it's not for everyone, but to me it sounds like the ideal place to escape the hustle & bustle that can come our way. Yes, I did read All Creatures Great & Small when I was younger, and that fueled the fire...hmmm, wonder if I'm too old to still become a country vet?!

      Delete
  14. Glad you enjoyed your chocolate summit ;) It looks wonderful. Lily does look the part with her fab walking boots, and of course she has the right priorities - finding the perfect picnic place :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always, there is chocolate at the summit! X

      Delete