Friday 28 October 2022

Pumpkins 🎃

 


Earlier this week, we pulled on our wellies and headed off to the farm in search of some Hallowe'en pumpkins. Previously, we have always just bought them from our local farm shop, but this year I thought it would be a special treat to visit an actual pumpkin farm and choose one straight from the field instead. 
I love activities such as this, as they are usually done under the guise of being solely for Lily's benefit, when in fact I get just as much, if not more, enjoyment from them :) 


We were taken by tractor into one of the top fields, where there was row upon row containing different varieties of pumpkins. There were orange ones, white ones, blue ones, yellow ones. They had small ones, tiny ones, regular sized and some huge ones. They even had some warty ones.


We took one of the wheelbarrows provided and went off in search of our 'perfect' pumpkin. We were spoiled for choice. I was almost certain I would choose an orange one this time, but I saw the cutest little yellow pumpkin and instantly knew I just had to take it home with me. 



Then it was back onto the tractor again to visit the stand where we would get our pumpkins sized. Afterwards, we were able to wander around the fields, where there were some great photograph opportunities and some scary scenes to help get us in the Hallowe'en mood.

Now we just need to carve them. 🎃

J. X


30 comments:

  1. Wow that is a lot of pumpkins. Eagerly waiting to see your carved pumpkins :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Eileen. I've had my hands rather full elsewhere :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fun outing, I've never been pumpkin picking before!
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun is that? Looking forward to seeing your carvings, this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun morning. And it was lovely to see so many families enjoying their time at the farm. Xx

      Delete
  4. I've seen pumpkin farms on the local news and they look almost other-worldly, don't they? I've never carved a pumpkin or am at all interested in Halloween but I love eating them in South Indian curries. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to eat them as well, especially in a curry. And the seeds are delicious when roasted. Xx

      Delete
  5. I have heard of folks who I work with doing something similar to this...muddy but fun. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a wonderful outing - making terrific memories! I love to carve pumpkins, but admit after I’ve cleaned it out, I use a drill with a large bit for a quick and easy polka dot effect - not really carving it then, is it?! Looking forward to seeing your designs - enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed it. Carving them can be quite hard work, but I do like the end result. I like your idea of using a drill. X

      Delete
  7. Wow, the UK is really getting into Halloween!

    🎃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the UK has been for a while now. There seems to be too many health and safety concerns with celebrating Bonfire Night, that the focus has now shifted. Xx

      Delete
  8. I look forward to seeing your carved pumpkin. I have never seen a farm like this, it looks like a fun place to visit. Our own pumpkin is from Tesco, not nearly as exciting. Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps not, but it will still produce the same end result. I just imagine Tesco would have been a lot less muddy :)

      Delete
  9. There are some great pumpkin patches around now, so much more fun than going to the supermarket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! But the supermarket is much more convenient :) We did have a great morning though. Xx

      Delete
  10. It sounds like a lot of muddy fun, though I think I would have been more interested in the tractor than the pumpkins :) I'm interested to see what yours is like once you've carved it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was rather muddy in places,so I was glad to be wearing my wellies. The tractor ride was a lot of fun. Xx

      Delete
  11. Snap, this year my girls decided they wanted to go to a pumpkin farm and pick their own pumpkins rather than just getting them from the supermarket. It is something we have never done before and it was great fun so I can see this becoming an annual tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you had a great time. It makes for a fun day out. X

      Delete
  12. I am astonished. The only other time I've seen so many pumpkins is when I was in Canada one year at Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just relieved we're no longer expected to carve turnips! X

      Delete
  13. Pumpkin farms seem to be a real thing nowadays and it sounds like a lovely day out. I won three mini pumpkins in the Slimming World raffle this week and they are making a very nice display. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely pumpkins.
    Great photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving how colourful they are.Just lifts the spirit.xx

    ReplyDelete