Sunday 11 December 2022

Cold and Frosty Morning

 


Thank you all for your kind and understanding words on my last two posts. I am relieved to say that after another good night's sleep, Lily has finally turned a corner and appears to be back to her usual self once more. You can probably imagine what a relief this is. 


With this in mind, I thought it was about time we got out for some gentle exercise and fresh air, with a short stroll around Grasmere. The fields were white and frosty and it felt bitterly cold. Thankfully, we were wrapped up well, it was definitely a day for big coats! You can't tell from these images but there was still snow up on the higher fells. 


We enjoyed a short walk up to Allan Bank, the local National Trust property, where they had some musicians playing Christmas Carol's, and some paper Christmas crafts available for children - we came home with two tree decorations. 




We then went for a wander through the woods before retracing our steps back towards the village.



The little Gingerbread shop was busy, and I'm not surprised. As we arrived, Lily was the first to smell the delicious aroma of freshly baked gingerbread from the opposite side of the river. And I might just have bought myself a pack :) 
In the window there was a delightful gingerbread house on display. I was a little disappointed to discover it wasn't made from actual gingerbread, but it still looked lovely and festive. 

On the way back to the car, my hands became rather chilly. I meant to put them in my pockets to keep warm, but I had already filled them with pine cones for my Christmas wreath :)

J. X


20 comments:

  1. So pleased to read that Lily appears to be back to her usual self once more, what a huge relief that must be for you.

    You certainly had a lovely walk, your photographs are wonderful.
    The gingerbread house does look lovely and festive.

    Enjoy the week ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt good to get out for some fresh air, and the frosty scenery was lovely and festive. X

      Delete
  2. So glad Lily is feeling better and was able to enjoy some fresh air and warm sunshine. As always, the photos are so pretty (and because I can never shake the pull I feel to those English villages) that first photo has a lovely house I could move right into! The gingerbread house, although not real, certainly gets us in the spirit of the season - looking forward to seeing your pine cone wreath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. Don't let the sunshine deceive you. It was still bitterly cold.
      I am hoping to get my wreath made this weekend. I usually do it much earlier than this, but I've just been so busy this year. X

      Delete
  3. Sounds lovely, my friend. Beautiful photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a beautiful sunny day! I'm glad that Lily is feeling better. I hope you both enjoy the gingerbread you might have bought. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. The gingerbread was delicious :)

      Delete
  5. That is a gorgeous window display, even if it is not edible. So glad Lily is back to her normal, wonderful self.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This window display would really have to be a gingerbread house :)
      Thank you, Jayne, Lily is feeling much better now. X

      Delete
  6. Thank goodness - I am so very glad. It's a worrying time for illnesses, etc.

    What a wonderful walk. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many being struck down with various illnesses just now. X

      Delete
  7. My parents are in Grasmere later this week, I'm hoping they too are tempted by the smell of gingerbread and bring some over when they visit on the way home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does smell amazing, especially on a cold, frosty morning. X

      Delete
  8. Grasmere gingerbread, I loved it as a child! I'm sorry Lily hasn't been well and glad to hear that she's feeling better now, there seems to be lots of nasty viruses about at the moment. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix. It was a relief when she finally turned a corner. She has been fairly quiet since, but otherwise seems okay. X

      Delete
  9. What good news on Lily's recovery. You never stop worrying about your children. That looks to be one rather cute little shop...a gingerbread shop sounds like something from a fairytale. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Grasmere Gingerbread Shop is really quite famous. X

      Delete
  10. I am sorry to hear that Lily has been ill, that must have been such a worry for you. I do hope she is continuing to improve.

    ReplyDelete