Sunday 18 December 2022

December Weekend

 


I never meant to miss posting over the last couple of days. In fact, I had also hoped to spend some time catching up with a bit of blog reading, it's just that I've hardly stopped. 

πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„

Friday passed by in a blur, filled with Christmas Carols, tiny Angels, Kings, and Shepherds. Then in the evening, I attended my work's Christmas party, which was a lot of fun, and everyone had such a great time. I went with the sequined dress in the end, and I am happy to say it received several compliments. It actually felt good to dress up and make a bit of an effort for once. The dress was a lovely fit, and with it being a little bit stretchy, felt very comfortable to wear, even after I had helped myself to a generous plateful (or two) of food from the buffet :)

The following morning, I was delighted to discover that it had snowed again overnight. It looked ever so pretty, although getting about proved to be difficult. Even so, it was a very festive morning I spent in the town, finishing off my Christmas gift shopping. There was a brass band playing, carol singers, and of course a beautiful snowy backdrop. Better still, I managed to get everything I wanted, and a bit more besides. A box of mince pies somehow found their way into my shopping bag :) 
In the afternoon, I put together our Christmas Crackers. My gift isn't going to be much of a surprise, but I made sure I didn't read any of the jokes before placing them inside. Making them was probably an added hassle I could have done without (noted) but it was quite nice to add some more personal touches to each one, and they are going to look lovely on our Christmas table.

Today I finally got around to drying some orange slices to hang on the tree. I've done this for several years now, and I love how they look against the glow of the fairy lights. I've also strained the Winter Spice Vodka, which had been steeping in a large kilner jar at the back of the kitchen cupboard, since the end of August. I might have enjoyed a small glassful this evening - all in the interests of quality control, of course

In between, I have wrapped and delivered a few more presents, I've eaten more mince pies than can be considered a reasonable amount, and I've thought about the possibility of not doing Christmas at all next year,  but going on holiday instead!*

J. X

*Only joking. Lily would never allow it :)

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect pre-Christmas weekend! I'm glad to see the dried orange slices making an appearance again! I wondered when I didn't see any on the earlier picture of your tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. I feel like I can relax a little now, although I still have most of my wrapping left to do! I will be catching up with you very soon. X

      Delete
  2. We are a bit on slow start with the mince pie munching - seem to have really busy up until now, hopefully we will endeavour to catch up and make amends for our tardy scoffing of said festive delightsπŸ˜† I love scent of citrus in the house, especially now - wonder if it is coz it reminds me of summer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found myself longing for warm summer days, recently. I'll just have to keep consoling myself with mince pies. X

      Delete
  3. Delightful.... 😊

    Like a scene from an old fashioned Chistmas card...

    πŸ’›πŸŽ„πŸ’›πŸŽ„πŸ’›πŸŽ„πŸ’›

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look of dried orange slices on the tree. X

      Delete
  4. That does sound a very nice weekend, perfect for the time of year :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brass band helped it to feel especially festive. Xx

      Delete
  5. Your weekend sounds filled with loveliness, albeit a little busy. Your vodka sounds delicious, how organised of you to start it in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working longer hours than I used to, so finding time to organise everything and shop for Christmas presents is proving to be quite a challenge.
      Thankfully the vodka is very simple and takes only minutes to prepare. X

      Delete
  6. The orange slices are so pretty...a sweet, homespun decoration; perfect! It sounds like you'll have a white Christmas, I'm not sure we will, but it will be frigid...the high will be 15 degrees, brrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I love how the orange slices look on the tree.
      All the snow has melted away now, so it's unlikely we will enjoy a white Christmas, but I'm always hopeful. X

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful, festive weekend, my friend! We actually strung some dried oranges today at my daughter's house. So fun! Have a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For something so simple, they do make lovely decorations. X

      Delete