Tuesday 4 April 2023

Spring Sunshine

 

I can't begin to explain just what a difference this change in the weather has made to my wellbeing. The last few days have been glorious, and after an intermittent start it now feels like spring is finally here to stay. In other exciting news, I now have hot water! Being able to get into my pyjamas, straight after a shower feels so satisfying. And to those of you who have been in the same situation for much longer than I have, but without complaining, I stand in awe. 

Last week, the final Warm Space, although still fairly quiet, was attended by all the regulars. I made chocolate brownies once again, and I was gifted a picture, which had been painted by one of the lovely ladies just for having baked all their cakes over the last few months. Wasn't that kind? It is on the mantel for the time being, until I can decide where I want to display it. 

School is now finished for two weeks, so I'm hoping to enjoy some slightly less hurried mornings. I do have some tradespeople turning up on at least two of the days, and there will be a short trip away at the end of the second week, but I'm sure I will find a balance somewhere in amongst the chaos. And then, before I forget, I also need to complete my coursework.

Following some incredibly cold temperatures over the winter, the garden is looking rather worse for wear. Until now, it has been far too wet to have been working outdoors, but the grass has now been treated to its first cut of the season, and I think this week I will at least get the soil dug over and any dead plants removed. Sadly, this appears to be the majority of them, so I think I will be starting again from scratch. Thankfully, my small apple trees and blackcurrant bushes appear to be unscathed. But the container pond needs a good clean out, and again the pond plants will need to be replaced.

Boo has started going outdoors now, and is loving his new found freedom. He has made a new friend who turns up every morning just to see if he wants to go out to play. The other cat is almost identical to Boo, aside from the fact he has white whiskers. Mog chooses to let them get on with it and appears relieved to be left alone finally, having little time for juvenile shenanigans. 

On Sunday, we went for a short walk in the woods. There is an abundance of wild garlic now, and it won't be long before Bluebells begin to make an appearance. We gathered some twigs and have since assembled our Easter Tree, using the little crocheted eggs I made back when Lily was still so very small. How time flies. 

J. X

32 comments:

  1. Hello! I am so happy to hear spring has arrived in your lovely part of the world, my friend. Enjoy your Easter break! And yes, I agree. Time flies way too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about time! I am ready for some bright sunny days. X

      Delete
  2. I totally agree with you, the sunshine just lifts my failing spirits too.. and you haven't had hot water for a while? So glad its sorted for you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been a little over two weeks without hot water, so I am very relieved to finally have the new boiler fitted. Xx

      Delete
  3. This beautiful Spring sunshine is very welcome. I'm afraid the very cold and wet winter weather has not been kind to my plants either Enjoy your Easter break xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden is going to need a lot of work, Eileen. Xx

      Delete
  4. It's good to see plants and trees in bud again. Enjoy your 2 weeks off from work & school. I miss not having a cat, observing them and all their funny ways. I've no plans to get another, a fluffy dog is quite enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both cats are good company, but now Boo's friend keeps trying to get in the house! X

      Delete
  5. Always a joy to see your photographs.
    We too have been enjoying some lovely Spring sunshine and are keeping fingers crossed for a dry Easter weekend, when we are due to spend time with family.

    So pleased that you now have hot water :)

    Happy Easter Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. And a Happy Easter to you and your family. Xx

      Delete
  6. How beautiful. I am relieved to hear that you have hot water again. It's stressful without it. The sky looks so blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue sky is much welcome after the grey and damp winter months. X

      Delete
  7. I'm very glad about the hot water and, yes, it's so lovely to be having sunshine. it just needs to warm up a bit more for perfection now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be lovely when we can leave the house without the need for a jacket. Xx

      Delete
  8. Yay for Spring! No need to forage for wild garlic here, I just wander into the garden in my slipper with the kitchen scissors!
    It's wonderful to read of Boo's progress and that you've got your hot water back. We went through weeks of having a knackered boiler pre-lockdown and bathing with a kettle and a sponge, it's absolute bliss to shower again, isn't it? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am envious of you having your very own wild garlic, but I won't be complaining about going for a walk in the woods :)
      Having hot water at the turn of a tap feels like quite a luxury after the last few weeks. The new boiler is much less noisy as well. Xx

      Delete
  9. .uplifting words and pics - yes I really do believe Spring is on the cusp of arriving - cold and wet today here in The Dales but lovely although chilly yesterday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as the brighter days begin to outnumber the gloomy ones, then I will be happy. Xx

      Delete
  10. Enjoy your Easter break Jules and your short break away. Spring is definitely here despite the yo-yo weather. I hope you haven't lost too many plants. How lovely that Boo is able to enjoy the outdoors with his new kitty friend. Happy Easter x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverley. After a busy few weeks, I am looking forward to our break. X

      Delete
  11. So glad that spring has arrived and you have hot water again! Gorgeous photos, as always! Enjoy your spring break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm unsure as to which I feel most happy about :)

      Delete
  12. I do hope you are having a restful Easter holidays. We have, indeed, had some wonderful sunshine it is so uplifting isn't it despite it still being so cold the sun is a balm for the soul. Enjoy your time away.s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you are aware, it is always wise to make the most of the sunny days around here. Xx

      Delete
  13. Such a beautiful blue sky...my favorite color. And you have lots of green...Spring has arrived, and it does seem to raise our spirits! How sweet that someone gifted you with a picture...they truly appreciated all the baking you shared with them. I saw a recipe recently for wild garlic pesto that sounded so good...I'm not sure it grows here, I'll have to find out - garlic is always a favorite for me. Enjoy the week, it sounds like your to-do list is getting smaller! Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wild garlic creates a vibrant green carpet beneath the trees. Soon it will start to flower, before dying back as the Bluebells begin to appear. Xx

      Delete
  14. Easter/Ostara/Spring...isn't it all so wonderful...I love that we have different seasons though, otherwise I think I'd get a bit bored. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are right. I would just rather it rained a little less often. Xx

      Delete
  15. I hope you had a lovely Easter weekend Jules. It is so nice not having to rush off to the school run isn't it! Enjoy :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lulu. I hope you are also enjoying some spring weather in your beautiful corner of the world. Xx

      Delete