Monday 8 May 2023

Bluebells and Black Cats

 

I don't know about anyone else, but with all these bank holidays I keep losing track of my days. On a regular week I would have been at work by now, but with an empty day ahead of me, I have thoughts of being very productive and getting on top of the housework before I'm back at it again tomorrow. In reality, I expect I will procrastinate and find myself wondering how on earth I managed to waste a whole day :) I won't be too hard on myself , however, having spent much of yesterday working in the garden. I managed to get the grass cut and dug out the five large shrubs, which sadly didn't survive the extremely low winter temperatures. I also greatly reduced the size of the holly tree, so how I managed to escape without so much as a scratch, I have no idea. On another dry day, I will get the borders dug over and then I need to plan what to plant in the available space.

Over the last few days I have been dipping in and out of The Coronation coverage. As always, the pageantry and ceremony appeared to be flawless, and the parades were nothing short of spectacular. Although I have mixed feelings about the event, there is no doubt it made for a memorable weekend. I also enjoyed the Coronation Concert much more than I thought I would. 

Last week, we went for our annual bluebell walk. It really is beautiful there and being a little off the beaten track, we usually have the woods all to ourselves. 

The afternoon had started off rather dull and overcast, so it came as a pleasant surprise when the weather began to brighten up, until we found ourselves being able to cast off our thicker layers of clothing and enjoy the warmth of the sun. 



The woods are filled with native bluebells as far as the eye can see.

With paths meandering steeply up the hill.

I never tire of visiting these woods, especially at this time of year. And on that afternoon a good dose of fresh air was just what I needed. I've been feeling under a bit of strain recently, and getting outside in nature instantly calms me and enables me to relax.

And I should be able to relax even more, going forward. Getting the roof work completed was a huge weight off my mind. And although I still have more work to be done on other parts of the house, this was the issue I was most concerned about. 

I have also received the feedback on my course work, and I am very pleased (and relieved) to say that I have passed! When I first signed up to do it, I hadn't realised that I would be taking on more hours at work, so it has been quite a challenge to fit everything in, but I got there in the end. And talking of work, there is going to be quite a shake up there. For the better, I hope, but what this will mean for me and my hours, I am unsure at the moment. Time will tell.

I have previously mentioned a black cat who comes to stop by my house each day. He has since become rather persistent, and even though he is a full male, shows no signs of aggression; he is not hungry and clearly not a stray, so it is still a mystery as to why he likes to hang out with us. Boo quite likes him. Mog is indifferent. Neither of them show signs of being anxious that he is around. He does occasionally come inside the house - if I happen to leave the door open, or if Boo sits too close to the cat flap (it is chip activated) but I had no idea as to where he was coming from. Last week, having woken up to find him in the house yet again, I decided to put a paper collar on him, and less than half an hour later, a very apologetic lady rang me to say he actually belongs to her and she had been wondering where he had been spending so much of his time. It is still a mystery as to why he visits here, but at least I now know his name and where he comes from, and I can also get in touch with the owner if I have any concerns. Having said all that, I have a feeling that the visits may desist once she finally takes him to the vets ✂

Back soon. 

J. X




40 comments:

  1. Sounds like your cats have a stalker! The woods are so lovely when all the bluebells are out. Well done with the coursework and the garden - there is suddenly such a lot to do when the weather improves it is hard to keep up once the grass and plants start growing at a rate of knots. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Viv. Yes, the garden is going to need a lot of work to look nice again, but with everything else I have going on at the moment, I will have to be satisfied just keeping on top of it. Xx

      Delete
  2. Your last sentence made me laugh - I had already thought it sounded like a black cat 'playing hard to get'. Glad you are not making him feel unwelcome. I read somewhere that if you get a cat in your garden persistently and you enjoy his company speak gently to him and stare at him, gently closing your eyes now and again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess that I can no longer make our visitor feel welcome. He is becoming just a bit persistent and a lot of a pest. X

      Delete
  3. Love seeing the sunlight on the woodland floor. Sadly that won't be happening here today...far too much rain. Looks like you struck lucky with the weather for your walk though. I wonder if the black cat knows his impending fate?! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so lucky with the weather for our walk in the woods. Only an hour earlier it had been overcast and dull. Xx

      Delete
  4. I can never tire of seeing the sight of masses of bluebells. They are so lovely.
    Well done with you course work and I hope things work out positively for you at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverley. I'm relieved to have finally finished my course. X

      Delete
  5. Hello Jules, aren't those bluebell woods stunning. I've been enjoying them in the hedgerows but have refrained from our usual annual outing to a local garden with a stunning display - as they've hiked the entry price up too much! Well done on getting your coursework done. It's always a juggle and a half isn't it when you sign up for things, then the work situation changes. Fingers crossed for that too. How funny that you have a stealth visitor. Ouchee - I feel sorry for what's coming to moggy at his next vet visit :0 xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully there are no entry fees to see these bluebells. They are beautiful to see. Xx

      Delete
  6. Always lovely to read one of your posts. Well done on the course work, that’s great news. Glad you’ve sorted out who your furry visitor is. He sounds like Six Dinner Sid! B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. It feels like I fewer opportunities to post these days.
      Yes, I am relieved to finally know where our visitor is coming from, although he is unfortunately becoming a bit of a pest. Xx

      Delete
  7. Hello, my friend! I was thinking of you as I watched the festivities this past weekend! I was wondering how it was to be there! Your photos are so lovely. Congratulations on your course work!!! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Billie Jo. I can finally say my hard work was worth it. Xx

      Delete
  8. The Coronation Concert was very enjoyable and good to see the Royal Family enjoying the event, King Charles looked much more relaxed than he did at his Coronation. I would love to stroll in that bluebell wood it reminds me of when was a child picking bunches of bluebells to take home to my mother. That black cat must think your home is very welcoming :) Well done on passing your coursework, you work hard and deserve it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. It felt good to relax by taking a walk in the bluebell wood. Life has been rather busy lately and I needed to take some time out. X

      Delete
  9. Such beautiful bluebells! I've been meaning to get out and go on a bluebell walk myself, but time seems to have escaped me so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bluebells are lovely flowers, and they have such a delightful sweet scent. X

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on completing the coursework and passing! Hope the changes at work out well for you.
    The bluebells look beautiful and how lovely to have a whole woodland area carpeted with them!
    Glad you found out who the visiting black cat belongs to! Maybe he likes the company of Boo and Mog (even if Mog ignores him). I've a male black cat visiting my garden, too! I think he likes to hang around Mama Cat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. New management are having a bit of a shake up, so I just have to keep my fingers crossed. Xx

      Delete
  11. The bluebells are lovely...and you're so right, just getting out in nature helps reduce stress. Last evening I was sitting outside (in my bargain yellow chairs!), with the sound of mockingbirds singing and the twinkle of fairy lights...it was relaxing, even just for a short time. And yes, that to-do list is still waiting for me to tackle...but I agree, roofing is a major worry...and on that's on my list as well. I know how relieved you must be that you've crossed that one off! Relax and unwind when you can...we all need that quiet time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes forget how important it is for me to take time out in nature, then as soon as I do, I feel a little lighter almost immediately. X

      Delete
  12. Bluebells are so very beautiful. They light up the woodlands and hedgerows (and gardens).
    Congratulations on your coursework.

    I'm very glad you were able to let the cat's owner know. Little does he know . . . bless him!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I suspect our visitor won't be headed to the vets very soon, so I need to try and deter him as gently as possible. X

      Delete
  13. Don't the woods look lovely, what a beautiful walk you had.

    Very well done with your coursework and I hope the changes at work go well for you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I am hoping any changes will be positive ones. X

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on passing the coursework and I hope the changes at work are positive for you. I can recall past photos of the bluebell woods and they look as beautiful as ever. A cat that's come a-wooing, how sweet. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne. I really hope so too, although I have some doubts. Xx

      Delete
  15. Those bluebells look so pretty. Fingers crossed we can get up to the Eden valley this wknd, I hope to see the flakebridge bluebells. Good that your cat mystery is solved, sounds like you almost gained a third!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw on Instagram that you found some bluebells. And I especially love your photograph of Hugo. X

      Delete
  16. The bluebells are so beautiful! In my area, the native blue bell is quite rare, but lots of the Spanish variety. Congratulations on completing your course work, a great achievement x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many Spanish Bluebells in gardens here, but native ones can be found in the woods. X

      Delete
  17. I love it when our garden's awash with bluebells but aren't keen on the slimy mess when they've died back.
    Well done for tracking down the owner of your handsome visitor. I think boy cats are a lot more tolerant of feline visitors than girls, at least in my cat owned experience. I hope the owner sorts out her boy although I bet you'll miss his company if he stope roaming so far. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope our visitor will be visiting the vets soon, but I have my doubts. He is, unfortunately, becoming a bit of a pest, so I am having to deter him as gently as possible. X

      Delete
  18. I suspect many of us lose track of our days when it's a bank holiday, I often do, especially when it's Easter. Your bluebell walks looks lovely, and well done on completing and passing your coursework. It's nice that the black cat feels welcome enough to keep visiting though I'm glad you found out his name and where he belongs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This last month has felt very strange, but I now have two full working weeks before half term, when I can hopefully re-set :)

      Delete
  19. Those bluebells look beautiful, nature truly is spectacular. A carpet of beauty in a wood. I'm glad you've had your roof done, we've tracked down a painter for all the exterior concrete window sills. He's not happy going up a big ladder for our really tall old house... a bit sad as it would've looked better all painted nicely. We aren't wanting a scaffold, very complicated but would involve using next doors drive again. Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find someone to compete your work for you. It can be a job in itself simply finding reliable tradespeople, and agreeing on a date. X

      Delete
  20. Glad the owner notified you. I bet the cat likes your energy. Cats are funny that way. Our Siamese growing up left our house with three noisy boys and moved in with a neighbor down the street. The feline's name was Sueki, and they called her Waldo. My brother discovered her there one day when he went over to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is reassuring to have some contact details for the owner of our visitor, although I would much prefer it if she would get the necessary dealt with. He is becoming quite a nuisance. X

      Delete