Wednesday 7 June 2023

Just a Lovely Week

Last week was our half-term, and we were so very lucky in that it coincided with some absolutely glorious weather. The sun shone every single day, and I did my best to make sure we made the most of it - after all, this could be our summer :) When it is like this I often find it tricky to find a balance between trying to get out whilst the weather is so nice, along with taking some time out to relax at home. This is a consequence of living in an area where it usually rains - a lot! You would think I might be able to take it easy and enjoy it for what it is, but I do so love the warmth and sunshine, that I make sure to soak up every bit of it while I can. 


The countryside is looking incredibly  beautiful just now. In fact, I think June might just be my favourite month of the year, when the weather is like this, at least. Cow Parsley is spilling out onto the lanes, we've been watching damselflies in abundance down by the pond, and everywhere is looking so incredibly green.

After a lot of hard work, the garden is now looking so much tidier than it had been. I managed to dispose of the large trees I'd dug out, cut back a lot of the groundcover shrubs beneath the wall, and pulled up an impressive amount of weeds. The borders are now much clearer and I have replaced just a few of the frost damaged plants with new ones, which I have been assured will establish themselves quickly and be able to cope with the cold winter weather. 
 

The apple trees are coming along nicely and have been moved to a new position alongside the shed. And I don't know if any of you remember my experimental lockdown lemon trees, but just look at how well this one is doing! I can't tell you how excited I will be if it ever grows actual lemons. I believe they can take between 4-7 years to produce anything, so watch this space.


 


Lily and I have been out walking with a friend, and it actually felt rather special to introduce her to this beautiful part of the world that we know so well. We shared a tour of Rydal and Grasmere, which included waterfalls, caves, two lakes and a fell summit. We cooled off with a paddle in Grasmere, then of course we just had to treat ourselves to an ice cream when we returned to the village.


Towards the end of the week, and as the temperatures rose even further, we went swimming in the outdoor pool. I'm really hoping this will be the first of many visits this season.


I've enjoyed lighter meals, eaten outdoors.

Then just before returning to school, at the beginning of the week, we walked through the fields and into the woods, along the old tracks that hold a comfortable familiarity for us. It's elderflower season, and we needed to gather just enough of those frothy white flowers to make our cordial. So quick and simple to make, it has the taste of summer that I find so deliciously refreshing.

Also, we managed to squeeze in a few short days away in Stirling. But more on that in another post. 

J. X









28 comments:

  1. Lovely photos as always! I'm glad you had some nice weather during the half-term break. And just look at how much your lemon seedling has grown! I think you might get some flowers on it, next summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. The weather has been gorgeous here, although there has just been a very brief but heavy downpour of rain, which will be great for the garden - I'm showing my age now :)
      I really hope I will eventually get some flowers on my lemon trees. They always make me think of you and the fruit trees in your garden. X

      Delete
  2. The weather really has been glorious and to coincide with half term you couldn't wish for more. Sounds like you enjoyed a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great week, Eileen. And it isn't often we get so lucky with the weather. X

      Delete
  3. Gosh, you fitted a lot into your half term, but you're right - it is so unusual to have this sort of weather that it does feel necessary to make the most of it.

    Although after six weeks without rain, the garden would really like some, if you please.

    Thanks for finding my new post and commenting, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were so lucky with the weather, which made a huge difference to our week.
      And it's great to see you back blogging again! You had been missed :)

      Delete
  4. Your photographs show just what I love about June - hundreds of different shades of green.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! Thank you for taking me along with you on your beautiful walk. Your photos are always so stunning! And the fresh dinner looks delicious! Have a cozy day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking wonderful in your corner. That pool looks very inviting as does all your magnificent scenery. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love a visit to the outdoor pool, on a bright sunny day. Xx

      Delete
  7. The weather has been wonderful recently hasn't it.
    I certainly enjoyed seeing your half term holiday photographs and was pleased to read you also treated yourselves to ice-cream :)

    Enjoy these days of June, it is a wonderful month.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could easily get used to this weather, Jan. I just love these warm sunny days. X

      Delete
  8. what lovely photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The elderflowers smell so delicious at the
    moment, a heavenly fragrance. We have been so lucky with the weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been enjoying a glass of sparkling elderflower each evening. It is lovely and refreshing in this warm weather. X

      Delete
  10. That sounds wonderful, Jules. What a smashing pool. Isn't it relaxing to eat healthy salads out in the sunshine? I love dining al fresco. Lily looks lovely in that long shot photo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time of year lends itself to eating healthily, so I find myself making better choices. Xx

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you've been able to make the most of this glorious weather, it's been a long time coming! As always your photos are gorgeous and even though it's not yet 7am I could happily tuck into the Greek salad! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such lovely photos and if I could I'd just dive in that pool, it looked wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris. It's such a great pool, and I love that we can swim there during the warm summer months. X

      Delete
  13. What beautiful photos. Just came back from Rydal yesterday after another amazing weekend, a beautiful spot with wonderful memories and first ever lake swims - blissful. Thank you for sharing, can't wait to be back PS That salad looks so healthy and delicious and just right for this warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful part of the Lakes, and there are so many wonderful swim spots around Rydal. It sounds like you made even more memories during your visit. X

      Delete
  14. Beautiful photographs ot the Green Nature. Joyfull.

    ReplyDelete