Friday 14 April 2017

Wild Garlic

Last year, I'm not sure why, I missed the opportunity to go foraging for Wild Garlic. So last weekend we went for one of our regular walks through some local woods to find some.
It wasn't too early in the day but it was so lovely and quiet, there was no one else around, except for a rabbit or two.


The path through the woods is beautiful and now that the ground has dried out a bit it made for a more pleasant stroll. The woodland is slowly coming back to life with the help of the sunlight breaking through the trees and the first Bluebells are making an appearance.



We followed the winding path deeper into the woods to find our treasure and we weren't disappointed. A huge green carpet of gently scented Wild Garlic lay out before us.


We carefully gathered together some of the fresh young leaves set back from the path, just enough to fill a small bag, then took the time to sit down and enjoy our surroundings before heading for home again.


That evening, determined to enjoy the results of our mornings efforts, we turned those bright green leaves into a delicious smelling and tasting Wild Garlic Pesto.
This is the recipe we used.
50g Wild Garlic leaves
40g grated Parmesan
40g toasted Pine Nuts
100mls Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
The juice of half a lemon
Thoroughly wash the Wild Garlic leaves and add to the other ingredients in a food processor. Blend to your desired consistency.


It was so delicious, served simply, spooned through some freshly cooked pasta with an added sprinkling of Parmesan on top.


I spooned the rest of the fabulously green Pesto into a small Kilner jar and covered with a layer of the oil it should keep for several weeks in the fridge.
J. X

32 comments:

  1. Can smell the wild garlic from here! We have it growing wild in the garden so may I say thank you for the Wild Garlic Pesto recipe.

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can usually smell it before you see it around here. Enjoy the recipe. X

      Delete
  2. There's lots of wild garlic in the woods near us but there's also lots of dogs which go walking in there so it puts me off foraging. It's lovely to see the ground covered with it though and I love the smell as I approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised that puts you off. Thankfully I never see dogs in the woods where we got ours. It's lovely to see it all when it's in flower. X

      Delete
  3. I am enjoying pesto with everything at the moment. I've not seen any wild garlic in the town here, but a friend in the next town has a nice supply going *yum*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pesto is delicious isn't it? It tastes full of goodness. Maybe you could get some from your friend. X

      Delete
  4. You are so lucky to have such a beautiful woodland walk nearby. I love to see bluebells, reminds me of my youth when I used to pick them to take home to my mother. I've never picked wild garlic leaves, your pasta dish and pesto look really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky and we regularly walk there. It's so close to home and Lily loves it. X

      Delete
  5. I really like pesto, especially homemade, but I've never had wild garlic. I'm sure it must smell so lovely in those woods and the bluebells so pretty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it Cheryl. It is very tasty. X

      Delete
  6. That looks delicious Jules, just my sort of food, simple, fresh and tasty. I've just been reading your last post about the garden. Lily is certainly working hard planting her seeds and your garden looks lovely. The dry stone wall with flowers is what dream homes are made of :) Hope you all have a lovely Easter Weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzanne. Yes, simple food is often the best. X

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. It was! There's not a lot left now. I might have chance to forage some more before it starts to flower. X

      Delete
  8. I have never had wild garlic before, probably because I don't go out in the woods or suitable foraging areas. What an abundance there was in the wood for you. It looks and sounds really delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it Marlene. It is very tasty and so easy to make. X

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful foraging expedition! Your daughter is going to have some lovely memories of her childhood and all the fun things she got to do with you! I have never seen wild garlic here, but then, I have never gone looking for them, either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun, especially the part when we had finished foraging and sat on a pile of logs to eat chocolate!
      I do hope Lily is left with some happy childhood memories. X

      Delete
  10. That looks gorgeous! I'm inspired- I'll nip to the woods this week and pick some too. Thanks for the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a fan of garlic, but it looks beautiful in the woods. Happy Easter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need for garlic, a walk in the woods is always a treat. X

      Delete
  12. Oh I had just had to stop by (from Jo's blog) and say what a wonderful post.
    Love the look and smell of wild garlic and you just can't beat a good pesto.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, and lovely of you to stop by. X

      Delete
  13. that looks so good, such a gorgeous colour. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was soooo good Sadie and the colour is fabulous. I can't get over that green. X

      Delete
  14. oh that looks and sounds delicious xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh I have wild garlic in my garden thanks to a friend giving me a cutting. I plan on drying some of the leaves and making pesto too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have. Our first batch is all gone now so I may try and make some more before the leaves are past their best. X

      Delete
  16. Wow! That sounds incredible. What a vibrant shade of green! Thanks for the recipe. I never thought of using the tops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's VERY green and really delicious. X

      Delete