Tuesday 13 June 2017

Elderflower Cordial

I'm not sure where the lovely Summer weather has disappeared to this week but I would really, really, very much like it back please. It has turned grey and cool here once again, so I am very happy that I was able to make this year's elderflower cordial while the sun was shining.
It was a beautiful sunny day when we walked through the fields gathering the elderflowers from the hedgerows.  We, of course, being me and Lily - my partner in crime. I love that she enjoys being outdoors and is more than happy to walk by my side and listen as I ramble on with my very limited plant knowledge.  
The gorgeous elderflowers are in abundance at the moment and are so easy to spot with their frothy, creamy-white flower heads. To make cordial they are best freshly picked on a dry day and when the buds have just opened.



Just as I thought, it didn't take long to collect the twenty five flower heads we needed but we continued on our walk regardless, embracing the warm weather, blue skies and fields filled with Buttercups.


On our return home I rinsed the elderflowers to remove any little insects and set about making the cordial. This recipe is my favourite and makes about 1½ litres of cordial. It is so simple to make and once diluted makes for a refreshing drink with, I think, just the perfect balance of citrus and floral notes.
You will need :
1.2 kg granulated sugar
1 unwaxed lemon (zest and slice)
25 freshly picked elderflower heads
40g citric acid
Put the sugar and 750mls water into a pan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil then immediately remove from the heat.
Add the citric acid, sliced lemon, zest and elderflower heads and give it a good stir. Leave to infuse for 24hrs.
Line a colander or large sieve with muslin, strain the mixture through, discarding the bits and decant into a sterilised bottle.



It is very concentrated so you don't need much. I find it is most delicious mixed with sparkling spring water but it has been recommended I try it with Prosecco so I will definitely be trying that.
It is a delightful taste of Summer in a glass. A little bit of bottled sunshine.
J. X

28 comments:

  1. Let's hope that sunshine returns soon, I'm missing it too. Your cordial sounds delicious and refreshing xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautifully refreshing, especially since the sunny weather has returned. X

      Delete
  2. I've been dying to make elderflower cordial for years but I can't seem to find any near to us. I was sure there would be loads on the golf course behind us, but sadly not. It's a lovely drink and if I fail in my quest again this year I will just have to buy some.

    The prosecco tip is one I'll remember as well :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a shame Suzanne. There are so many elderflower trees around here, we're spoilt for choice. If you were any closer I would make some for you. I have still yet to try the Prosecco. X

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely thing to do with your young daughter. I'm sure it is absolutely delicious. Unfortunately with a diabetic husband I wouldn't be able to make it myself so have a glass for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen. I will, of course, have a glass for you. X

      Delete
  4. I am there right with you, sitting in the sun with a glass in hand...CHEERS! Well I can dream it is quite cool here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your weather warms up just a bit. It always looks very windy from your photographs. X

      Delete
  5. I bought citric acid two weeks ago in Wilko when I saw it ready to make Elderflower cordial. Thanks for the recipe and yes it makes cheap cheap prosecco zing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Citric acid can be quite awkward to get hold of. We don't have Wilko near here. I'm looking forward to trying it with prosecco. X

      Delete
  6. I like Elderflower cordial but must confess I have never made my own but that is the beauty of blogland you can aquire new skills and ideas. I may be tempted to have a go you make it look so simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so very easy to make. Do try it. It really is delicious home made. X

      Delete
  7. were having lovely sunshine here in Essex (for the next couple of days anyway).

    enjoy your cordial :)

    Its great having a little partner in crime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful weather again here too. The cordial is delicious with chilled sparkling water.

      Delete
  8. The sunshine is back here again today and it looks set to stay for a while, I hope it's back with you again too. I've heard how refreshing elderflower cordial is before but it's something I've never tried, I really should give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, do try it Jo. It's so very easy and I find it so much nicer than shop bought. X

      Delete
  9. Same here I have never made it, a nice simple refreshing drink, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so delicious Marlene. Very refreshing. X

      Delete
  10. My Dad used to make Elderflower wine. The collection process always used to upset my hay fever!! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried that. Maybe next year. X

      Delete
  11. It sounds delicious! I've never made any or had any. How nice to have the company of your little daughter as you gather the flowers. You are making the best of memories for her. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is Bless, especially on a hot day. Thank you. I do hope she enjoys the times we spend together. X

      Delete
  12. We've had a few days sunshine which has been so lovely. I'm so pleased that you and Lily do enjoy your time together, it really is so very special.

    Your recipe looks and sounds delicious.
    I enjoy sparkling spring water too, but I like the recommendation to try it with Prosecco!

    Enjoy the rest of your week, and have a good weekend too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. I'm really looking forward to trying it with Prosecco. Have a lovely weekend. X

      Delete
  13. I soon hope to be collecting frothy heads of elder...however as yet time and appropriate weather have not aligned in my favour...hopefully the weekend will provide an opportunity...it would be such a shame if this delight disappeared from our store this year! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have managed to gather some this weekend Jackie. X

      Delete
  14. I make it here, it is lovely. As are elderflower fritters. Easy to make and a perfect pud.

    ReplyDelete