Monday 17 June 2019

I Love to Go a Wandering....

Between Monday and Friday each week my days are fairly predictable. I get up as soon as my alarm goes off, or when Lily wakes, whichever is earlier (usually Lily!). Then there is the usual hurried morning routine of breakfast, making Lily's lunch, and getting washed, dressed and out of the house in time for work and school.
At the weekend we try and do things a little differently. Although I don't bother setting the alarm, we are still usually awake bright and early, especially at this time of year with the lighter mornings. I don't mind as it gives us a head start. We enjoy a slightly more relaxed breakfast, I make up a lunch, then we get washed and dressed and out of the house, but this time for an adventure.
We are very fortunate in that there are so many great places available to explore right on our doorstep, and we like to make the most of this whenever we have the opportunity. Recently, however, we haven't really spent any time on the fells. In fact, I think the last one we climbed was Silver How back in January, so I'm hoping an improvement in the weather will see us getting out walking more often. Therefore, in a bid to ease ourselves in gently, last weekend I suggested a climb up Helm Crag. Helm Crag is one of the lower fells, just north of Grasmere, which is easily accessible and a reasonably short walk.



The pathway was quite steep in places, but there were plenty of opportunities to stop, catch our breath and admire the view. For the most part the weather was overcast, yet bright, although as you can see from the first photograph, there was a brief glimpse of blue sky. The track was lined with bracken and so many pink foxgloves which are in flower at the moment or, as Lily likes to call them, foxy gloves! Occasionally we would catch sight of some of the many sheep in amongst the bracken and we could clearly hear a  woodpecker somewhere in the trees down below us.
It was quite windy on the summit, so we didn't hang around too long and, after a quick scramble onto the Lion rock - the highest point - we instead chose to eat our picnic lunch on our descent to Far Easedale.





Before long we were back down in the valley making our return to the village, where we always make time for a visit to the park and a game of Poohsticks at the river. Also, I might just have bought some Grasmere Gingerbread as a treat for that evening. It was delicious. 😊




Although this weekend the weather has been very mixed, I was determined to get out and gather some elderflowers for this year's cordial making (recipe on sidebar), before I left it too late. Fortunately I timed it just right, as there is an abundance of delightfully fragranced flowers lining the hedgerows right now and, along with  a quiet walk through the woods and fields, it was a lovely way of spending our morning. And it was so quiet. I'm sure we had the whole woods to ourselves. We saw rabbits, squirrels and all kinds of mini beasts and flowers. Lily has a fascination with  all of these, especially at the moment, as we are participating in the Wildlife Trust's '30 Days Wild' nature challenge, which I will share more of later in the month.
In the meantime, if we could just have some sunny weather.....
 
J. X

50 comments:

  1. Such lovely views on your walk. So lucky to have such amazing countryside on your doorstep. I feel another visit to the Lake District is high on my wish list. Hope the elderflower cordial turns out well. Have a good week. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. It's quite a wonderful playground we have at our disposal.
      I can definitely vouch for the cordial being delicious. The weather might have been grey, but at least we can have a taste of summer. X

      Delete
  2. You do live in such a beautiful part of the country. We last visited the lakes back in May '17, so we are long overdue a visit. There's nothing like a bracing walk in the fresh air, whether it's in the hills, the mountains, the fields or on the beach. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a beautiful area, Jane, with so many places to visit. We love spending time outdoors so it's the perfect place for us. I hope you are able to visit soon. X

      Delete
  3. Such stunning scenery, you're so lucky to live close to these wonderful walks. I don't think we're going to get the summer we had last year but a little more sunshine would be very welcome. Enjoy your elderflower cordial, something I've never tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it, Jo. There is always something new to see and some lovely places to walk, although it would be nice to get a little more sunshine. X

      Delete
  4. I stayed in Grasmere for a night with my sister just over 25 years ago! I can't believe it was that long ago but I do remember how much I loved the area and wanted to go back. Thank you for your beautiful photos of your lovely walk and picnic. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some lovely walks around Grasmere and we spend quite a lot of our time there. We are drawn to the beautiful scenery and, of course, the delicious Gingerbread. X

      Delete
  5. Ooops..bad maths! It was just over 20 years ago. See, it wasn't as long as I thought :) xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have been noticing the abundance of elderflowers everywhere, even in our own little wood here in Scotland. The rain it seems has been beneficial for many things. I am just hoping for a few fine days now so I can do a bit of gardening up here. The picture on the bridge is so delightful of Lily and the red post box and wooden sign in the background add to a lovely composition. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure if there would be that many elderflowers around this year, but since they have come into flower I have seen an abundance of them. The rain has done wonders for the gardens and wildflowers but I'm ready for some sunshine now. I hope you have a restful time at the cottage. X

      Delete
  7. Val-de-ri, val-de-ra. Not thought about that one that for years. You've stuck it in my head for the rest of the day now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great trip out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, thank you. Fresh air and some beautiful scenery makes me very happy. X

      Delete
  9. You've got such perfect walking country right on your doorstop, it always looks so beautiful in your photos. Roll on some sunshine here too :o) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're very lucky, CT. It's quite good for running too, when I get the chance. X

      Delete
  10. Its funny isn't it how we crave for a day off to have a bit of a lie in only to find when that day comes you still wake up at the same time. I'm up at 5am Monday - Thursday and by Thursday I am really looking forward to that extra time in bed but come the next morning 5am arrives and I am wide a wake. Think my brain has just rewired itself this way now.

    We have lots of Elder flowers around us all in beautiful bloom so I'm sure some one will be snapping them up soon to make cordial.

    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny or tragic? I can't quite decide which, but I think I've got out of being able to lie in bed for any length of time now anyway :D
      There are so many elderflowers around. I didn't realise quite how many until they came into flower. I hope you manage to make your cordial. X

      Delete
  11. Oh, it looks gorgeous! What stunning photos. I hope you get some sunshine soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephenie. The forecast looks good for the rest of the week, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. X

      Delete
  12. You do live in a lovely place with beautiful scenery. I find walks (or climbs) much more enjoyable in the summer if the sun is not bright or strong. A few clouds usually means that I can go further and be more comfortable.

    It has been very rainy here also, with quite a few dangerous storms. They are being predicted for today and tomorrow, but my hope is that they are wrong like they were yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the warmer weather, but when it's a little bit overcast it can make strenuous walking much more comfortable. I do hope your weather hasn't been too bad and that the storms haven't affected you badly. Here, in the south of the country, there has been some severe flooding. X

      Delete
  13. Ohhh sooooo lovely... Is your area....

    Elderflowers must be delightful to smell... And your cordial must be wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, WoW. Elderflowers have such a delicate floral scent and the cordial is light and refreshing - perfect for summer (when it arrives!) X

      Delete
  14. You took us on a wonderful walk, such fantastic views. I love playing poohsticks with my Grandchildren, such fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I would think Poohsticks is a firm favourite with adults and children alike. X

      Delete
  15. I'm sure I'm breathing in that wonderful fresh air just by looking at your beautiful selection of photographs here. What a lovely day and wonderful walk, and a game of Poohsticks at the river is just perfect …

    Enjoy your week, and let's hope for some sunshine too!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. We always feel good when we get out in the fresh air and often finish off with a game of Poohsticks. Here's hoping the sunshine arrives sooner rather than later. X

      Delete
  16. In Brazil elderflower tea is used to lower fever. I love the flavor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the elderberries ripen they can be turned into a syrup which has anti-viral properties. What an amazing plant. X

      Delete
  17. Ypu live in such a gorgeous part of the country - and I love how you make the best of it all. Wonderful.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Having just bottled my first batch of elderflower cordial this morning this was a very appropriate read! lovely photos, those hills look so higgledy piggledy and inviting. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cordial is delicious. I especially love it with sparkling water, so refreshing. X

      Delete
  19. Thank you for the elderflower cordial recipe. I’ve made elderberry cordial, but hav never used flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elderflower cordial is light and refreshing and, more importantly for me, much less messy to make. X

      Delete
  20. Whenever my friend and I visit the Lakes, we buy each other a packet of Grasmere gingerbread - it's like no other! beautiful photos; you are very fortunate to live in such a lovely place. Love the photo of Lily on the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grasmere Gingerbread is very difficult to describe to anyone who hasn't tried it before. Not crunchy, not chewy, but very, very tasty. X

      Delete
  21. Lovely photos Jules, it almost feels like I'm there with you, except for the huffing and puffing up the mountains. I've never made Elderflower cordial, perhaps I should, Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. Oh yes! Do try making the cordial. It is so simple and a delicious taste of summer. X

      Delete
  22. Thank you for taking me along for the walk with all your lovely photos! Beautiful country and I loved that photo of Lily on the bridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. Lily was looking for fish in the river. X

      Delete
  23. You really live in such a beautiful part of the country! I've never tried an elderberry cordial, but I would like to. Also, your gingerbread treat sounds quite delicious. I love the taste of gingerbread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. Grasmere Gingerbread is quite different in that it's texture is both crumbly and chewy. It is delicious, however. X

      Delete
  24. These photos Ae beautiful. I love it.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just took a big breath in looking at your splendid pics ... I can imagine you both doing that on your lovely walk. Lots of wonderful nature sights you've been admiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some lovely views from the summit and it definitely took a lot of deep breathing to reach it! X

      Delete