Thursday 29 July 2021

A Change in the Weather

Since our walk up the fell earlier in the week, the weather has turned cooler and we've been experiencing heavy rain showers intermittently throughout the day. It's great for the gardens, which are soaking up the water, but I'd much rather be enjoying some warm sunshine at this time of year. It is for this reason we've been spending more time at home this week. And I can't help but think we may have already seen the last of the really hot days.

On Tuesday, I spent some time in the kitchen attempting to use up several courgettes I'd been given. Although quite versatile, they are not a vegetable I cook with all that often. Usually a recipe will call for just one, and so I buy more than I need, only to discover the rest turning soft and bendy at the back of the fridge, several days later :) Anyway, these courgettes were huge, so I needed a recipe that would use at least more than one, so I had a look online and found this, Pasta-less lasagne. Initially, I was curious, until I looked more closely at the ingredients and realised it was basically a moussaka. Well, I like moussaka and this would use up possibly two of the courgettes, and so I set about slicing and frying, until what felt like hours later I ended up with a very time-consuming-to-prepare, but very delicious meal. 



While it was in the oven, I decided there was no way I would go to the trouble of making it again. But it was so very  tasty, and seeing as it would provide us with enough servings for more than one meal, then it would be worth all the of the faffing and dish washing that came with it.

Yesterday, I had some errands to run in town and while we managed to dodge the showers, we also visited the Library, where I signed Lily up to their summer reading challenge. This encourages children to borrow and read six or more books over the holidays. I'm not feeling all that optimistic, as although she is very good at reading, it is not an activity she really enjoys. In contrast,  however, she was more than happy to assist me with foraging for raspberries that afternoon. 

I thought we would take a short walk along the lane to see if there were any remaining where we would usually pick them. Typically, all the really good ones we're way out of our reach, or behind a large patch of nettles, but we still managed to collect enough for three jars of jam. These should last us a while, once the blackcurrant is finished.


Oh, and there was a knock at my door last night. I've been given another three huge courgettes! 

J. X

32 comments:

  1. I picked up three courgettes from a basket outside some-ones house, still have two of them left! I like them but the girls not so keen so not sure what i'm going to do with them. L is signed up to the reading challenge but like Lily reading is not her favourite activity, she would rather be doing something physical. I hope we see some more sunshine during the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The forecast is looking very mixed at the moment. I really hope we've not seen the last of the hot weather. X

      Delete
  2. Jules I must say that last sentence made me laugh! Perhaps if you kept making the dish (it does look delicious) you would find a few short cuts. And the jam looks to die for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't any short cuts, unfortunately, I'm just not used to faffing about so much to make a meal. Give me a one pot dish any day :)
      I've only tasted the small amount of jam I used to test the setting point, but it is delicious. X

      Delete
  3. Your pasta-less lasagne looks delicious and I guess you'll be making another one with the kind gift of more courgettes. Your raspberry jam will be lovely with some home-made scones and cream maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might make the dish again this week. I could always freeze it.
      Scones! Now you're talking :)

      Delete
  4. That lasagne looks delicious, definitely worth all the time it took to prepare I should imagine. Daniel and Eleanor were never big readers when they were young and still don't read very often now, I think it's a shame, especially when I myself am an avid reader. The summer reading challenges in libraries are such a good idea to encourage youngsters to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll only go to the trouble of making it again because it makes enough for two meals. It is delicious though.
      I don't know why Lily's reluctance to read is a surprise to me. It's not that often I'll lose myself in a book. X

      Delete
  5. Our weather has changed too! Cooler ~ Gray ~ Lots of rain moving in, as I type.

    Gorgeous looking meal, but yes.... Time consuming to prepare. There were left overs, though... Good!!!!

    Oh that jam! Jars, like jewels!!!

    Oh no!!!!! LOL Not more! Well, just because you were gifted, doesn't mean you _have_ to use them!!!!!!!! >,-)

    ✨✨✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to try and use up the courgettes, as I dislike waste of any kind. Just as long as I don't get given any more :)

      Delete
  6. The last sentence made me laugh - I hope you can use them up. I was the opposite of Lily when I was young, always had my nose in a book. I could get three from the library on Monday and take them back Wednesday as I'd read them all - and my mum would have to speak to me several times before I took any notice as I was so engrossed in whatever I was reading. I still read a lot now but not as much as the pc has rather taken over some of my spare time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll find a way to use up these courgettes, I just hope I don't get given any more. I wouldn't mind so much but they are huge! Almost marrows. X

      Delete
  7. What you have to do is sneak over to someone else's house and leave them on the doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I hope you will still have several more warm sunny days before autumn arrives! I had to laugh about you receiving more zucchini! :D Now you know how I feel, every time I step into the garden and find more zucchini waiting for me! LOL. At least the ones I give away are the smaller ones! The one I picked yesterday, weighed in at 5 lbs.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you, Bless, just as soon as I was given them :)

      Delete
  9. Courgettes are versatile but you really have to put your thinking cap on to utilise them. You did make me smile...what yo do with the next 3????

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got a feeling we're going to end up with loads of courgettes - I've got three plants on the go! This recipe looks good: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/courgette-loaf-cake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These courgettes (and many more) all came from just three plants :)
      That loaf cake looks delicious. I'll definitely be giving that a try. X

      Delete
  11. I also made a meal with zucchini yesterday - a lasagna and it was a long time-consuming task. But the end result was delicious and will do me several meals. My only problem was that it was a bit runny, the zucchini having so much water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit worried the lasagne might have turned out runny, but I used veggie mince for mine and I baked the courgettes in the oven first, perhaps that made a difference. X

      Delete
  12. It certainly is the time of year for courgettes.
    Your meal looks delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I'm slowly working my way through them :)

      Delete
  13. How funny. You have made great use of them. I love zucchini bread, too. That jam looks amazing. I love the bright color. I can feel the seasons changing up here in the mountains, too. I am actually really looking forward to lighting a fire in the fireplace again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will no doubt notice the changes a little bit earlier, up in the mountains. I'm not ready for cooler weather just yet :)

      Delete
  14. The summer reading challenge brings back memories of when my 2 boys - now 18 & 21 yrs old used to do this. I use courgettes a lot, I peel them and dice a small or half a large one. Then I add it to shepherds pie (with a grated carrot - no need to cook extra veg). Or add to any casseroles in the slow cooker. I never put it into soups as it's just too watery.
    We had a courgette for tonight's dinner - left over Gammon, pasta & Carbonara sauce with mushroom and small diced Co-op frozen mix (onion, carrot & celery). Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The challenge is a great idea to encourage children to keep reading over the summer break, it's just that Lily would just rather be outside playing :)
      I'm thinking ratatouille for tonight's dinner :)

      Delete
  15. We haven't had your rain (although I would like a little, the ponds need a top-up) but the weather has definitely turned: the air no longer feels like summer, I fear Autumn is coming early this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could be right, Jayne, although I'm not ready for autumn just yet. X

      Delete
  16. Cooler and wet here unfortunately...but that jam looks very lovely. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jam tastes very lovely as well, I tried it on some freshly baked scones :)
      I hope the weather improves for you soon. X

      Delete