Saturday 14 August 2021

Pause

I've been enjoying a very relaxed week, and having reached the half-way point in my summer break, a change in the weather has seen me spending more days at home, along with some much needed down time. 

I began the summer without plans and with fewer expectations, other than to enjoy some days out here and there, for Lily to have an opportunity to go swimming again and to maybe climb a fell, or two. I can definitely say that we've already ticked all those boxes, so now anything else is a bonus, although, Lily has asked if we can take a trip on one of the large boats on Windermere before the end of summer. I'm sure that can be arranged :)


Last week, we enjoyed a trip to the sea. It was a little overcast and breezy but we had a lovely walk along the shore, and some very tasty take- away chips for our lunch. 

This one waited very patiently, hoping for a chip.

We've also been swimming at the pool again, and I've booked another session for next week. I'm so relieved Lily has this opportunity, as I've no idea when, or even if, her lessons will re-start.







Mid-week we visited Sizergh Castle. It was a warm sunny morning, so we set off early and took a picnic lunch with us. The gardens are looking beautiful just now, and I especially loved the kitchen garden and the rows of sunflowers which led out to the orchard. 




The following day, again, dawned bright and sunny and, with my overriding desire to make the most of any good weather, we spent a wonderfully carefree morning down at the lake. There was some paddle boarding, there was some swimming, and then there was some hot chocolate - it was a warm day but the water had been chilly!

In between these days out, I've also enjoyed being able to spend some long awaited time with friends once again. 



This week has been much slower paced. We've still enjoyed a few local walks, but I've appreciated spending my days at home. 




We've been reading together, I've been continuing with the decluttering and catching up with household chores, and we've done some baking. Lily made some flapjack, with just a little bit of assistance, and I baked some scones, which were delicious, served fresh from the oven with some homemade raspberry jam.

This week I've sensed a change in the air. I'm trying my best to deny it, but the shortening days are an indication of the changing seasons. Having said that, the blackberries and elderberries here are still a little while from ripening, so perhaps summer will be with us for a while yet. 
I hope so. 


J. X

38 comments:

  1. You've painted pictures of some lovely summer days, with your photos and words, Jules. I'm glad you are getting to enjoy a slower pace of life and hope Lily looks back on this summer with pleasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed this summer so far and, following a more relaxed week, I'm now looking to make plans for the rest of our time off. X

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautiful photos of your slow summer days. The sunflower walk is divine. Incredible that the flower heads are all looking into the path also. Now, I do love a good plucky chicken. Can you send me some scones please??? Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunflower path was beautiful. In previous years they had grown sweet peas there and the scent was amazing. X

      Delete
  3. Sizergh looks good so I've put that on my list of places to visit. Have already booked tickets for hilltop and the girls want to go on a boat trip on Coniston on the gondola steamer to I need to sort that. A lot of things still need to be pre booked so I'm going to have get organised and do some planning!
    Your scones look amazing, mine always seem to come out a bit flat!
    I can't believe we are already half way through the holidays, the days just go by in a blink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great idea. I think I need to do some planning of my own, as I really want to make the most of our last week off school. X

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I've been making the most of my days. X

      Delete
  5. Goodness, half way through already, time flies when you just wish it would slow down a little. You've packed so much into your time already though. I've noticed the shortening days this past week, it's getting darker so much earlier now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the beginning of the holidays the weeks seem to stretch out forever. I'm sure I'll feel ready to settle back into a routine again, especially now the days are becoming shorter. X

      Delete
  6. It looks like a good varied mixture of days out and days at home. I love the horse, and I can almost taste those takeaway chips by the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fell ponies are lovely. I enjoyed a lengthy conversation with this one :)

      Delete
  7. I have two friends who volunteer at Sizergh - they are full of praise at how interesting it is to visit. Your week sounds perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sizergh is a lovely property and the gardens are beautiful. X

      Delete
  8. Sounds (and looks) like you are spending the best of all possible Summers! One to look back on, when 'The Wheel of the Year' really changes, and duties resume! A place to go to, in your mind, when you really need to r-e-l-a-x for a few minutes.

    And, maybe, a feeling to take with you... To make you remember... That all year long, in any Season, in the midst of any/all duties... You owe it to yourself, to take even 10 minutes, for complete relaxation.

    Your health will benefit.

    Your daughter's life view, will benefit, from seeing her Mother do this.

    You will return to your duties, refreshed.

    All "wins"... Yes???????????

    Gentle hugs,
    🍂 🍁 🌻 🌰 🌻 🍁 🍂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is turning. The mornings and evenings are starting to feel a little cooler. Summers tend to be short here.
      Ten whole minutes! I'll try :)

      Delete
  9. It all sounds idyllic, beautiful photos as always, those scones look amazing how do you manage to get them to rise so well? I bet Lilys flapjacks were yummy too. I'm looking forward to blackberry picking but it will mean the send of Summer so I can wait a little longer yet. Have a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scones really were delicious and they didn't last long :)
      I'm still waiting for the blackberries to ripen here, yet this time last year I had already picked some. X

      Delete
  10. The weather is so changeable right now but you make the most of your days and everything you do looks wonderful. Your scones look delicious and perfect with your homemade raspberry jam. Lily's flapjacks look yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to make the most of the good weather days :)

      Delete
  11. I have driven past Sizergh Castle since I was a youngster and have never been to look at it. I feel ashamed. I do hope that you and Lily get out onto Windermere in one of the steamers. It's so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sizergh is lovely and the limestone garden is especially beautiful in the autumn. X

      Delete
  12. Your summer sounds like the perfect combination. Walking, old house visiting, beaches and baking you are certainly making the most of everyday. Still a few more weeks to go. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried to find a balance between enjoying days out and some down time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some more sunny weather. X

      Delete
  13. How lovely to be close to lakes, mountains and the sea! Nothing nicer than scones straight out of the oven, especially with home made jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scones were delicious, Chris. They do taste best fresh from the oven. X

      Delete
  14. Sizergh Castle looks absolutely gorgeous as do the rest of your photos. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah simple pleasures, they make memories.
    jean

    ReplyDelete
  16. My word Lily is growing (they do that you know - kids - they grow, especially when you are not looking and during summer holidays!)
    mmmmm flapjacks yum :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've asked her to stop, but she says she can't! :) She is the tallest in her class. X

      Delete
  17. The days are noticeably becoming a bit shorter, and I am ok with that. I like being able to turn the lamps on a little earlier each evening. I'm happy to hear you are having a nice summer break. It sounds like you and Lily are having lots of fun. Your scones look delicious! I think raspberry jam is probably my favorite jam. Would be just perfect with a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the garden, the wildflowers are still clinging on but they're looking a little bedraggled now. The wheel is turning. X

      Delete
  18. It certainly sounds that you are enjoying summer, but it is getting more noticeable the evenings are beginning to draw in.

    Lovely photographs on your post.
    Enjoy the remainder of the school holidays.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed a lovely few weeks, but it does feel as though summer is beginning to fade now. X

      Delete
  19. Oh, your photos are gorgeous, and what a lovely post! You really capture and appreciate the beauty of nature. There's nothing like spending time at the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephenie. It was lovely to breathe in some sea air. X

      Delete