Wednesday 1 September 2021

The Last Week of the Holidays

Each time I have tried to write this post, my attempts have been thwarted by someone already utilising my laptop.  Previously, I have sometimes managed to post using just my phone but my weary eyes can only take so much of that. Also, I've been missing reading any blogs this week (see above 😁) so I'm really looking forward to popping the kettle on and having a good catch up with your news over the next few days.

Even by my usual standards this post will probably be quite picture-heavy, and for that I apologise. I keep thinking I should perhaps take fewer photographs when I'm out and about, but I do love to look back at them and the happy memories they evoke - some which would have otherwise been easily forgotten over time. 

Last Monday we went swimming at the outdoor pool. I can't tell you how much I have appreciated this facility over the summer months. To watch Lily's confidence return after being out of the water for so long has been a delight and, if I'm honest, a relief. And I'm also happy to have learned that her swimming lessons are going to be starting again in two weeks time. With her love of the water this is something I have always prioritised, and has been much missed over the last eighteen months.





The following morning we set off from Glenridding to walk up Birkhouse Moor. As is usual for us, we took the lesser frequented route up. It was an incredibly steep climb but still much more pleasant than the more obvious path, which was full of hikers heading towards the infamous Striding Edge on Helvellyn. We passed a lot on our descent although, given how many of them appeared totally unprepared for what lay ahead, whether they made it to the summit that day, I'm not so sure. 









On Wednesday we ventured into North Yorkshire and enjoyed a lovely circular walk from the village of Malham, taking in Janet's Foss, Gordale Scar and Malham Cove. The walk felt strangely flat compared to what I'm used to but that didn't stop my knees from complaining while I was descending the steps from the limestone pavement. Lily gave up counting them when she reached 139! 








On Thursday morning I kept my promise to Lily and we went for a boat trip on Windermere. It was a lovely bright morning and we caught the first small boat which visited Wray Castle and then Brockhole, before returning again to Ambleside. It was such a scenic journey and for a short while we even had the boat all to ourselves. Naturally, Lily couldn't return home without first getting her feet wet, so we stopped off at Borrans park for a while, where she got to paddle in the lake.









Friday saw us in Ulverston to visit  'Gaia', an art installation which is an exact replica of the earth, suspended in the Coronation Hall. While we were there we also took a walk up to the Hoad Monument and then to the Buddhist temple, before taking a walk along the shore. Surprisingly, even though there was an incoming tide, there was hardly a breath of wind on the beach, which made it the perfect place to stop and enjoy some picnic lunch before treating ourselves to coffee and cake at the café.




Finally, over the Bank Holiday weekend we returned to Yorkshire to visit the lovely little town of Settle. It is a few years since we were last there and we weren't disappointed. The flowerpot displays were a joy to see dotted all around the town and after a chippy lunch, we enjoyed a walk up through the woods to Castleberg Crag to take in the view over the rooftops.

This last week has been wonderful and I'm so happy we have been able to squeeze it all in before school and work begin to fill and structure our days once again. I feel so very fortunate. And even though my focus is on my very small part of the world, my thoughts are never far from those who are suffering just now.

J. X

58 comments:

  1. Wonderful bright and breezy pictures. We all need to make the most of the countryside whilst the weather is still on our side. Jean. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. The weather was on my side this week. X

      Delete
  2. How the time flies I can't believe that the Summer holidays have finished already. I'm not surprised that you can't help yourself taking so many photos with scenery as stunning as this and never apologise for showing us so many I love looking at them, I know I take hundreds when I'm out and about I want to try and capture and hold on to all of the beauty I can see before me. I hope your return to work is stress free. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holidays have gone by quickly this year, although I'm sure I would be telling a very different story had it rained day after day. X

      Delete
  3. How wonderful to have all of this on your doorstep, some amazing photo's x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never apologise for an abundance of photos as they are always wonderful. You've fitted so much into your summer holidays and it has been lovely to read about it here on your blog. The children here return to school tomorrow, I had to ask a couple of girls playing in the park as I had no idea, the time has whizzes by so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. I often worry about taking so many photographs, but if I can easily delete the ones I don't want and as long it doesn't take away from enjoying the actual moment, then I don't suppose it really matters. X

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful post.
    Your final sentence is so perfect.
    And please never stop sharing photos!
    I so appreciate the beauty in your part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed your trips out - many of them to places I know well but can no longer visit because I am not very mobile. Malham Cove was a favourite and Settle too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been a few years since I last visited Malham, so it was lovely to return. I think I'll go back again in the autumn and take a walk to the tarn. X

      Delete
  7. I don't understand bloggers apologising for posting lots of photos, personally I love reading a blog post that has lots of pictures, and I do wish more would make their photos bigger rather than so tiny you can hardly make out what they are. Loved seeing your photos, looks and sounds you made do.e lovely memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is reassuring to read, thank you, Maggie. I enjoy seeing pictures on blogs as well. X

      Delete
  8. I have some friends in Settle and your pictures have reminded me I must go and see them soon! Lovely end of summer photos - I am just about managing to dib in and out of blogs at the moment, but usually not commenting so I can read more! Hoping I wil get back to blogging soon. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Settle is such a pretty little town, I really enjoyed our visit there, so I hope you get the opportunity to go soon. X

      Delete
  9. Some gorgeous photos here Jules but then I expect nothing less from you :) If I had to pick a favourite it would be the third one with the boats but they are all lovely - don't ever apologise for including too many, they are always a delight to see :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eunice. Thank goodness I can just delete all the photographs I don't want :)

      Delete
  10. You've had what sounds like a lovely week before the summer holidays end. Thank you for sharing all your photos! I've enjoyed seeing them and catching a glimpse of a foreign world through them. :) Hope Lily's return to school and yours to work go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been lovely, thank you, Bless. And I'm so glad we could really make the most of our last week at home. X

      Delete
  11. It sounds like you have really made the most of your last week, visiting a couple of the same places as me recently, such as Ulverston, Conishead Priory and the Settle Flowerpot Festival. All looks fab and lovely photos. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, what a lovely week. Striding Edge isn't really for the inexperienced, is it. When we've had weeks in Cumbria we have very much enjoyed the outdoor pools at Greystoke and Lazenby. Also once planned to go to the pool at Shap but it was heaving so we decided against.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't understand it. Many walkers appeared like they didn't know where they were heading. I think they were expecting a signed one way system up to the summit of Hevellyn and back. Even from my photograph, Helvellyn is under cloud cover while the sun was shining on Birkhouse Moor.
      I'm hoping to fit in one last swim this weekend, before the pool closes for the season. X

      Delete
  13. Your photographs are always stunning. The more the better. How can you describe what you can show with a photograph? I'm easily transported. When I snap back, I'm refreshed and relaxed. Thank you for sharing parts of a world I would not have known existed but for your efforts.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have squeezed in a lot in such a short time - a lovely way to end a summer holiday. Your final comment fits in with what a lot of people feel xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My post feels rather trivial and frivolous considering everything going on right now. X

      Delete
  15. Another wonderful post, and I always enjoy seeing your photographs.
    You have had a great summer.

    Our grandchildren go back to school on Monday, we hope for them, and all those returning that the term goes well.

    Have a lovely September.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I hope your grandchildren enjoyed their holiday. X

      Delete
  16. I loved every single one of your photos. Lovely to have seen and done so much in your last week. Here’s wishing you a happy return to school next week. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. I tried to make the most of this last week. X

      Delete
  17. A fun packed final holiday week! I thought you had squeezed in a quick trip to orbit for a photo of earth. Fingers crossed all goes well with school for Lily x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That would have been quite a holiday! X

      Delete
  18. Gorgeous photos, Jules. (as always.) It's wonderful that you have been hiking. Our trails in California are now closed, due to all of the severe fires. You are wise to take advantage of the opportunities to swim, too. I love swimming in our local lake. It's so energizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephenie. The fires must be a huge concern. Stay safe. Xx

      Delete
  19. Last trip of the holidays... thank you for sharing photos of your adventures. It's over so quick, school holidays lasted forever it seemed, when we were small 😀 All the best for going back to work & school Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of July it feels as though summer will last forever, but the time soon flies by. X

      Delete
  20. what great photos, thanks for sharing. We haven't been up that way for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful last week of the holidays! When Lily looks back on her childhood she will definitely be one of those lucky people who say, "Summer seemed to last forever" - she will have so many happy memories. The photos are fab, especially love the ones loking up at Malham Cove.
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope Lily has some happy memories of her childhood. I feel so lucky that I get to enjoy this time with her. X

      Delete
  22. Please don't apologise for showing us so many photos, I love to look at them. That looks like a busy week, full of lovely places and no doubt you and Lily made some lovely memories together. Now it's back to the grindstone. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting back into a routine is proving to be a challenge, I'm still in summer mode :)

      Delete
  23. Glorious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Thank you so much, for sharing!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's certainly been a busy last week. I'm glad you managed to fit in a trip to both Malham and Settle, I know you mentioned you were putting these places on the list when I did my posts about them recently. The boat trip on Windermere sounds lovely, I know that was one of Lily's particular requests so it's nice you got to do that too. I hope that the return to school has gone well for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! The 'list'. I'm continually adding to it :)
      It was lovely to visit both Malham and Settle and we're looking forward to some return trips very soon. I really want to walk up to the tarn. X

      Delete
  25. I never get fed up with your photos, the more the better!
    I hope the return to school went smoothly. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much, for saying you appreciate the way I try to make my blog, look pretty. -smile-

    🍁 🍂🍂 🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me think I should make more of an effort with mine, but it's been so long since I changed anything that I'd probably make a mess of it :)

      Delete
  27. I loved every single one of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Catching up. I'm glad to see that you and Lily managed your trip on Windermere.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Goodness...you seem to have endless energy Jules...with all your expeditions...puts my jaunt down to the woods to shame! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, I managed to squeeze a lot in to my week :)

      Delete