Monday 10 January 2022

New Year


Although, not quite so new anymore, I was actually a little surprised when I wrote out the date this morning. Where did the time go! I've ambled into this new year quite uneventfully, which is always a relief, as for many years it was never a good time for me. If something was going to knock me sideways it would generally happen at New Year, so now I often find myself braced and prepared for the inevitable. But thankfully, on this occasion, it was completely unnecessary.

The decorations got packed away during that first weekend and, although the house initially looked a bit empty and bare, it was good to give everything a thorough clean and tidy. I couldn't believe how long it took me, however, but I do like taking care to store everything away properly. And yes, I remember exactly where I've packed the little bells :)

There have been a few firsts here this week - first day back at work and school, first run of the year (first of many, I hope) and first fell walk of the year. The weather has mainly been grey and damp, with the occasional sunny day to brighten the spirits. Like most of us, I've been feeling very January-ish. It is definitely not my favourite time of year, especially with it being so dark. It often feels as though the day doesn't begin properly until around mid-morning. Fortunately we have one or two nice things planned over the next couple of weeks, so that will be something to look forward to, at least.








Our fell walk took place on the day before school started back. The forecast was good, so I didn't want to miss the opportunity to get out, but being rather chilly and the fact I knew it would be very windy on the higher fells, I decided it was best to keep to the lower ground where we could, at least, enjoy looking at the other snow covered summits. As I am not an experienced hiker and I would never take risks, so it was a lovely surprise to discover that even on this smaller summit there was quite a generous covering of white powdery snow. Not such a nice surprise, however, to discover that the narrow road to the starting point of the walk was more than a little bit sketchy. Still, we made it...just! The initial climb was quite steep. I had originally planned to walk the route in the opposite direction, but on arrival I changed my mind, as it wouldn't have made for the easiest descent in the snow. The views were stunning and, as always, it was lovely to see the fells from a different perspective, and perhaps pick out which one to climb next.




The walk itself was fairly short, and as it was so cold, it was decided we would eat our lunch back at the car. I was glad I had taken some hot Winter Spice with to warm me up - the squash, not the vodka on this occasion  :) And, thankfully, the road had cleared of ice on our return.

At work, just when I think my hours have settled down, I have been asked to provide extra cover from time to time. I don't really mind, as I quite enjoy taking on a variety of roles. 

At home, I have been  ruthlessly tidying. The dining room has seen some serious cleaning and, when I get the chance, I will be working my way through the rest of the house. My houseplants have all been receiving some tender loving care, and as much daylight as I'm able to provide. This week I took delivery of some citrus compost (I never even knew there was such a thing!) and my little lemon trees have now all been re-potted. Several of them have sprouted some fresh new shoots since Christmas and I'm determined to keep them thriving for as long as possible. I'm trying my best to ignore the current muddy mess which is the garden, as besides regularly cleaning and replenishing the bird feeder, I think I'll be better off waiting until the weather improves. It is making me incredibly happy to see we're getting a regular stream of feathered visitors, especially when I put out some mealworms. 

J. X






54 comments:

  1. Jules, I felt the same today as I was driving to work. It's already January 10th! Time flies too fast.

    I like this time of the year because it's cooler. Summers are too hot and humid. :)

    Those snow covered landscapes are breathtakingly beautiful.

    I hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nil. I did a double take to see that the date was into double figures already. X

      Delete
  2. You certainly had more snow than us - we did a snowy walk on Tuesday and in the wind it was bitingly cold however the views and the fresh air more than made up for it! I have more than had enough of the grey mush that January seems to have favoured - I'm ready for more blue skies xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a beautiful day, I just had to get out for a walk. X

      Delete
  3. Great photos Jules, as usual. You are quite inspiring with your hikes. Happy New Year to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How simply beautiful, a covering of snow, makes everything. Even though, your land is always beautiful. Snow is 'frosting on the cake', so to speak.

    So happy that New Years did not bring any horrors, this year.

    You sound quite up-beat, even if January is not your favorite time of year. -smile- Luckily, I enjoy the coziness of more dark hours. And I know I ammmm lucky, in this. -smile-

    Merry Mid Winter
    ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄ ❄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at how different the landscape can appear with just a light covering of snow. X

      Delete
  5. What a lovely snowy walk with fab photos as always, I particularly like the first and 8th :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eunice. I think it is a walk you might enjoy. X

      Delete
  6. In the days when I was mobile enough to feed the birds I used to put out mealworms. Within a couple of minutes of them being put out our resident robin would appear and guard them fiercly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very popular here - I have to ration them! :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely, snowy photos! I'm glad this January has been uneventful and easy, so far. I hope the rest of the month and the year continue in that same vein. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You live in such a lovely place. Those views are just stunning!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks like a great walk and wonderful photos, I don't know where this time goes either and I'm glad things are going smoothly for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! And we are almost half-way through the month already. X

      Delete
  10. Beautiful snowy photos. We had a fluttering here but nothing to cover the ground. It sounds like you've eased well into a new year, uneventful is good when you know what the alternative can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I am all in favour of uneventful. I just wish I could start to feel a bit more optimistic towards an approaching new year. X

      Delete
  11. Oh,those beautiful photos,would love that first one on my wall.My giddy aunt you must be fit as a butchers dog doing that Fell Walk.Yes the time waits for no man.I am 70 on 25th,my friends say I don't look it and I certainly don't act it or feel it.been out early for soggy doggy walk in the yet again rain.but I do love it.Take care,thinking of you.Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was as fit as a butcher's dog! Perhaps that could be my plan for this year :)

      Delete
  12. Sensational photos, I admire you getting out and about in such conditions, it looked most rewarding. Yes, where the bloomin eck is the time going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. We were well wrapped up and the conditions underfoot were fine. X

      Delete
  13. I'm really envious of your walk...beginning to forget what a blue sky looks like. We have had far too much rain, and this morning fog descended upon us. It hasn't done much for my bout of Januaryitis. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was one out of just two days of blue sky, and I was back at work the following day :( X

      Delete
  14. Amazing scenery, the snow looks so pretty even if it is freezing cold. It doesn't take long to get back into the usual routine, good for you having a good clean out I wish that I had your motivation, I wouldn't worry about the garden yet, I think it will be mid February/March before I start even thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. It was bitterly cold, but we were well wrapped up, so we were fine while we were walking. It was a more sensible decision to eat back at the car, however.
      I am trying not to think too much about the garden, it just looks very brown. :D

      Delete
  15. Those fells look bedazzlingly beautiful. Just on my last day of isolation and can't wait to get out and about again. Am definitely hoping to try and get up more fells this year. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing how much you love being outdoors, you must be getting cabin fever. I can't wait to find out which fell walks you have planned. X

      Delete
  16. Your post is so beautiful. Those photos just take your breath away. Glad you were able to get out there and well done on the run. I’m trying to fit in a few more this year. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With limited time, I struggle to find the motivation to go for run. The approaching lighter mornings and evenings will definitely help with this. X

      Delete
  17. We spent Christmas in the Lakes near Kendal and was lucky enough to have some snow on the fells on both Christmas and Boxing day :) So lovely!

    How far do you live from the fells?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That must have been wonderful. It always think it feels so special to have just a little snow at Christmas. X

      Delete
  18. The snow was wonderful whilst it lasted wasn't it, I am glad you were able to get out on the fells to enjoy it. Your photos are wonderful. I hope you have a good week this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to have snow, especially as it was of the dry powdery and not the wet slushy variety. X

      Delete
  19. Goodness me, it looks so cold! Beautiful photos even though I am shivering just scrolling through your blog! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do cold, so we were well wrapped up, and I have even treated myself and Lily to some fleece lined leggings since! X

      Delete
  20. Ah. Such a a wonderful set of photos. I must try and find the photos I have of me and a pal sunbathing on the top of a very snowy Haystacks on a fabulous winter's day. I only managed perhaps a few weeks walking in the snow in all the years I walked in the fells.

    My bird feeding regime is being used more this year than ever which has been a bit of a surprise. However I have a feeling that when the RSBP count on the 28-30 January takes place the variety of birds isn't going to be very wide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit too chilly to hang around on this particular day, but it was fabulous nonetheless.
      I am looking forward to the bird watch in two weeks. I always appreciate the opportunity to sit down for an hour. :)

      Delete
  21. The fells look beautiful, your photographs a joy to see.
    Like you I have found January slipping by so quickly, it's a little disconcerting at times.
    We've had some nice sunny days this week so Eddie and I have enjoyed some walks out and about returning for a welcome tea or coffee, as he prefers :)

    Enjoy the rest of your week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I have just begun to notice the few more minutes of daylight now, and the birdsong is becoming more evident each morning. X

      Delete
  22. I just stumbled upon your blog. What a beautiful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW! What Views, so beautiful....
    Love from Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were blessed with a beautiful day for our walk. X

      Delete
  24. What a wonderful post! You are such an excellent writer. I love the photos from your hike. It looks so beautiful there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephenie. It is a beautiful area and known for being home to a herd of red deer. Unfortunately, we didn't see them on this occasion. X

      Delete
  25. Lovely snowy pictures from your fell walk Jules.
    My Amaryllis has just started flowering now and I am determined to keep it going as long as possible. Your lemon trees sound wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverley. I'll try and remember to post some photographs of the lemon trees. X

      Delete