Monday 18 December 2023

Dark Days

 

Thank you all so much for your kind words on yesterday's post. After a fairly reasonable night's sleep. I felt a lot better this morning. Certainly much less achy at any rate, and I haven't felt quite as chilly. As it turns out, I appear to have a cold. Just a regular cold. I'd almost forgotten what that was like. 

Before I began to feel unwell, I'd had a pleasantly productive day. The last of my Christmas cards were written, I'd wrapped the majority of my presents, and as you can see from the photograph I finally got around to drying the orange slices for the tree. 

It hardly got light today, which isn't exactly surprising seeing as the winter solstice will be here before the end of the week.  I really dislike how dark the days have become, and it's easy for me to see why many people struggle at this time of year. Thank goodness for the Christmas lights, as they bring with them some much needed sparkle. 

This afternoon I attended the school's Christmas celebration. It was a lovely service including several of my favourite carols and various delightful contributions from the children. It's hard to think that this was Lily's very last one, and that this time next year she will be at secondary school. Where did those years go.

Tomorrow, will be my last day ay work until the new year, and I am more than ready for the break. If I've learned anything recently, then it is that I need to do much more than I am doing currently in order to improve my wellbeing. 

J. X


20 comments:

  1. Hi Jules. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better today! I'm also not a fan of the dark days this time of year. Yesterday was so rainy and dark here. I was so happy to see the sun back today! It's hard to believe Lily will be in secondary school next year. It's also very hard to believe my daughter will be fifteen next year! Wow!! I know you are looking forward to a break and some much needed rest. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always seems so much more miserable when it rains. Yes, they're both growing fast, I can hardly keep up. X

      Delete
  2. Hope you feel better soon! I'm happy to see the dried orange slices! I've oranges on my orange tree, but, I've never tried to dry them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. I've only just got over whatever virus I picked up in October, so I was relieved to discover that this is just a cold. X

      Delete
  3. I hope your cold doesn't linger for long. Have a wonderful break from work, rest, relax and enjoy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roll on the end of term. My son is in the same boat and can’t wait to finish for the term. I miss my visits to my old school for the nativity play and carols. It stopped during covid and now all the children I taught have moved on to secondary school too. Silent night sung by KS1 always got me:) B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you yesterday, Barbara. The first carol we sang was Silent Night :) Xx

      Delete
  5. I'm happy to have read that you were well enough to go to the Christmas Celebration. Lily is certainly speeding through life. I hope that you both have a very happy and above all healthy Christmas and that 2024 is a good year for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Graham. I feared the worst when I began to feel shivery, but it's amazing what a good night's sleep can do. X

      Delete
  6. Oranges on the tree - that photo shows just how lovely they can be. I hope you both have a really lovely Christmas - and a bit of snow on the tops would be like the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My tree no longer feels complete without some dried oranges hanging from the branches. I love this Christmas tradition.
      Some snow at Christmas would be wonderful but I suspect we will have our usual wind and rain. X

      Delete
  7. Enjoy your break. I can't wait until Friday when I break up too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much longer to go. Thank you, Shazza. X

      Delete
  8. Well done on getting the lovely orange slices done.
    Hope your cold soon clears.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt much better after a good night's sleep. Thank you, Jan. X

      Delete
  9. So dark this week, we’ve had many days when it has been necessary to have lights on during the day. Hate that, but never mind, only two more sleeps until Solstice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's these dark days that can get me feeling low. Not long to go now. Xx

      Delete
  10. The dried orange slices on the Christmas tree do look wonderful. I bet they smell good too. Glad you are feeling better x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree never feels completely finished until the orange slices are added. Xx

      Delete