Monday 11 December 2023

London Christmas Lights

Regent Street in December is not for the faint hearted. Fortunately, we were not there for the shopping experience. Instead we were there for for the festive atmosphere, but mainly to see all the wonderful Christmas lights on display. 





By the time we arrived in central London it was already heaving with shoppers and those who, like us, were there for the festive markets and Christmas lights. In fact, I couldn't even begin to imagine being able to get any shopping done, it was ever so crowded. Not that I was complaining, it was exactly as I'd expected it to be. London was always going to be busy on a weekend in December.





And it was totally worth it. Yes, it was exhausting, we must have walked miles, but the lights were absolutely beautiful. We even ventured into Fortnum and Mason, albeit briefly, as it was rammed. Then onto Liberty, which was much less frenzied, and where we managed to buy this year's Christmas tree decoration.

The evening ended with a drink of mulled wine, overlooking the Thames. The twinkling lights reflected in the water. 

The following morning we enjoyed a more leisurely stroll over Westminster Bridge, along Whitehall, down The Mall, then through St James's Park, where we stopped for coffee. Then it wasn't long after that we needed to catch the train for our journey home. 

Tired, but happy. It was a wonderful weekend, and one which I'll always remember. 

J. X




28 comments:

  1. It certainly looked a wonderful weekend.
    I enjoyed seeing all of your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. We had a lovely time there. X

      Delete
  2. Hi Jules, That looks amazing! I love London. I am looking forward to returning there next year. I will be staying for a few nights. It is such a fabulous city. I always love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds exciting. You will have a lot farther to travel than we did. X

      Delete
  3. Sounds quite an experience. I envy you! Your photos, as always, are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos Jules makes me wish I was there xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time, but there is no way of avoiding how busy it is there. X

      Delete
  5. Lovely to see the lights. They hadn’t turned on when we were there. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame, as they are wonderful to see. X

      Delete
  6. I loved your photos of London. I was there in July and I could barely walk down Oxford Street for crowds of people. I loved all the Christmas lights, and also the scenic one of the Thames. I was curious about the numbers in the window of Fortnum & Mason, and the placing of the numbers? Were they random like an advent calendar, or is the sequence that I am not seeing? I remember being taken once to see Santa at a big store in London - not sure which one, but we were put in some kind of carriage that supposedly flew us to see Santa. I think it just jiggled around slightly! I don’t remember what I received only the feeling of excitement of a package wrapped in crinkly paper given to me by Santa. Jean in Winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe the numbered windows are meant to be random , like an advent calendar. I think some of the window displays were set out as such but, it was so busy that we couldn't really see them. X

      Delete
  7. Just found your blog, so glad I did. your pictures are wonderful. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very lovely thing to say. thank you. Merry Christmas. Xx

      Delete
  8. Your photo's are lovely, we were close by, sadly I was unable to get to see the lights on Saturday evening or go sight seeing on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you missed them, Marlene. I hope you're feeling much better now. X

      Delete
  9. It all looks so lovely and festive! Thank you for sharing your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. London looked beautiful all lit up for Christmas. X

      Delete
  10. Fantastic 😍 Never been to London at Christmas. The lights and decorations look beautiful in your pictures. I do have 4 tree decorations a friend once bought me from Harrods, which I enjoy putting up every year. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would definitely recommend it, Shazza. Just as long as you go prepared for the crowds in the main shopping areas. X

      Delete
  11. London looks absolutely gorgeous and so sparkly in December! So glad you were able to spend some time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stores all look so pretty there at this time of year. X

      Delete
  12. A lovely weekend in London. The Christmas lights look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely, albeit very tiring, weekend. X

      Delete
  13. Oh it looks so pretty! I've been up to London so many times in the last month or so but never have the time to go anywhere like this- always rushing off to rehearsals! It's lovely! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to sped sometime there, just enjoying the sights. Xx

      Delete