Thursday 21 December 2023

Shopping


Christmas is now just a few short days away, and Lily is in her usual state of excitement, with high expectation for the 'Best one ever!' 

Today I have found myself buying some late-in-the-day Christmas presents and finishing off those gifts which were almost complete. The weather hasn't done do much to help me feel festive. It's been blowing a hoolie for much of the day, and it was all I could do to stop myself from being blown off my feet. It did, however, make me feel relieved that I was close to home. Had we travelled to Edinburgh I would have spent all my time there worrying that our return train could have been cancelled. 

Gift shopping completed, I treated myself with a visit to my favourite store. It is full of the most beautiful gifts and homewares and I can always be guaranteed to find something I just need to bring home with me. On this occasion it was another tree decoration and a candle holder. These were actually quite inexpensive, and anyway, I can always consider them an early Christmas present to myself :)

I have, at least, managed to put off getting the main Christmas food shop. Well, I think I probably have most of what I want already. There are just a few more fresh items I need to get, along with the cheeses. I might try and go early in the morning, before it all gets too busy. 

J. X

18 comments:

  1. Early in the morning is the secret. I headed in early today to do my shop and as I was leaving the queues had started to build up with cars trying to find spaces in the carpark. I felt quite smug that I’d had a stress free shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Barbara. I will be writing my list shortly. X

      Delete
  2. I have a store like that - it's called ``Kitchen Stuff Plus` and I get all my gifts either there or the book store. They are next door to each other which makes shopping easy. I have one more grocery shop which I will do early on Saturday, mainly to pick up ``the bird``. I`m cooking a capon again this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's the kind of store where it is easy to find gifts for people, including myself :)
      Best of luck with your grocery shop. Xx

      Delete
  3. Hello Jules! Just sitting in the dark with a mug of tea watching English Heritage's Winter Solstice live feed from Stonehenge, rejoicing in the fact that the dark days are over!
    My xmas shopping was started and finished in two hours on Wednesday morning, no crowds, no hassle. Jon said the post office was empty when he popped in.
    Why is it that you always find the perfect present for yourself when you're supposed to be shopping for your mates? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the live feed for a while, feeling grateful for the turn of the wheel during these dark months.
      I am that person who sees the perfect gift for myself when I'm supposed to be shopping for others. It's probably because I try and steer clear of shopping throughout the rest of the year. X

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you are very nicely organized for the big day! I hope Lily's expectations will be completely fulfilled! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily's expectations are fairly low compared to most her age. She is like her mum - happy with the simple things in life. X

      Delete
  5. Your Christmas tree decoration is lovely. I did my fresh food shopping yesterday morning and the car park and store were busy. I'll wish you good luck again for your food shop today xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. The supermarket wasn't as busy as I'd expected. X

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. Sending my warmest wishes for a peaceful holiday season. Xx

      Delete
  7. A Blessed and Merry Christmas, my friend. I know it will be cozy as can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peace and joy to you and your family this Christmastime, Billie Jo. X

      Delete
  8. It is often a better choice to shop early in the morning, if you can!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty sparkly tree. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even with my arms filled with shopping, I couldn't resist taking a photograph. Xx

      Delete