Monday 13 December 2021

A Very Berry Christmas

 


I was awake early this morning and immediately I felt a slight sense of panic. I was feeling exhausted, a little bit shivery, and my neck and shoulders ached. You can probably imagine what I was thinking. Thankfully, it was just a few moments later, that I realised my tiredness was probably because it was still only 5.30am. I was shivering because the heating doesn't come on until 6, and my neck and shoulders were aching as a consequence of my mildly aggressive use of the hacksaw yesterday. Suffice to say I was feeling  lot more 'with it' by the time I had finished my coffee, and the aching lessened as the day went on. 

Today's 'festive' has been the making of more blackberry and elderberry compote, and finally straining the spiced blackberry vodka that has been quietly resting at the back of the kitchen cupboard for the last three months - I had almost forgotten about it! It seems such a long time ago now that Lily and I went foraging for those fruits, way back in the middle of September, but the vodka, especially, is always worth the wait. The length of the steeping process works out perfectly for Christmas enjoyment, and the added cinnamon and cloves help give it a delicious festive flavour.

It was 'such a pity', therefore, that I didn't have enough bottles. I ended up needing to pour myself a small glassful. Well, I really wouldn't want to waste any :)

I've finished decorating for Christmas now. I just need to cut some more holly for the dining room, but I will leave that until next week, so that it stays fresh. Oh, and I've finally made a start on my gift wrapping!

J. X

24 comments:

  1. Ahhh coffee, it’s what makes the mornings bearable at this time of year. The Blackberry vodka sounds particularly nice, so glad that you didn’t let any go to waste m’dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good coffee at any time of year, for that matter. X

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous photograph that is :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I ran out of jars for the compote as well :) X

      Delete
  3. That was a rather scary wakening but I am glad it resolved itself as the day progressed. Spiced blackberry vodka? Yumm!! Got any to spare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just typical that I would automatically assume the worst :)

      Delete
  4. A lovely photo, the blackberry vodka sounds lovely and of course you had to pour yourself a glass just to make sure it tasted okay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! And I can confirm it tastes delicious. X

      Delete
  5. Morning coffee makes everything better doesn't it? Spiced blackberry vodka sounds quite nice - glad there was a little leftover for you to sample and enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't imagine starting my day without a mug of coffee - or two. :)

      Delete
  6. I'll say, "Yes, please" to the compote and "You may have my glass, too" to the vodka! :D Well done on finishing the decorating. I still have a ways to go! Have fun wrapping up the gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be more than welcome to some compote Bless, but I would have to pass on your vodka. A tiny glassful is more than enough for me. X

      Delete
  7. Good to know your achiness went away with a nice warming cup of coffee, even better a nice glass of spiced blackberry vodka to save it going to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although it was tempting. I waited until the evening to drink the vodka :)

      Delete
  8. The blackberry and elderberry compote look delicious Jules and I do like the occasional tipple of vodka myself.
    Glad your aches were not 'you know what' though.
    Not started my wrapping yet,still a few other things to do yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been in 'close contact' the previous week, so it was definitely on my mind. X

      Delete
  9. There's so many things going about at the moment, I'm glad your rude awakening was nothing more than waking a little early and sore muscles. The blackberry vodka sounds like a delicious festive drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a very relieved. Then I berated myself for overlooking the obvious. X

      Delete
  10. Not wishing to pass judgement Jules...but that glass doesn't look all that small!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you've mentioned it, no, it doesn't :D But that is actually a miniature nosing glass. I promise. X

      Delete
  11. You really are flying with the Christmas prep. I've done quite a lot but more to do yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much flying, more plodding through. X

      Delete
  12. Hi, I have just tried to leave comments but it wont let me, sorry. I love your
    latest photos. xxx
    From Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lee. I hope you manage to get the issue sorted. X

      Delete