Friday 10 December 2021

Christmas Lights

 

I won't be long out of bed. Waking up at 4am has made for a long day and now I'm feeling tired. I'm not complaining, however, as there is a general feeling of anticipation and excitement creeping in at work. I've also very nearly completed my Christmas shopping.

As is always the way in this house, Friday night is pizza night. I make no apologies for this, as it is my one night off from cooking at the end of a busy working week. Usually I would also put my feet up and have a well earned rest but instead, this evening we wrapped up warmly and took a trip out to see the Christmas lights. It was bitterly cold outside and the gritters had already been out earlier in the evening. I expect the roads will be sketchy in the morning.

First we drove out to a local charity display which takes place every year, raising money for a good cause. So many different decorations and clearly a lot of time and effort had gone into the arrangements. My favourites were some little model houses. They were so cute, I could have happily moved right in.


Then from there we drove on into the town, stopping off several times along the way to drop off some Christmas cards for friends. The lights there looked so beautiful, especially the main tree, which was actually a replacement, the original one having been damaged in the recent storms.

Over the weekend I intend to make a start on wrapping my presents. I have the remainder of my cards to write, some of which will need to be hand delivered, and then I need to strain my spiced  blackberry vodka, which I had almost forgotten about. There is plenty to keep me occupied, and who knows, I might even bake some mince pies. 

J. X


34 comments:

  1. The main tree in town looks lovely, and the cobbled street with looks really pretty with the garlands and lights across it - I think it looks a bit old fashioned but in a nice way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look pretty there this year and the main tree is really lovely. X

      Delete
  2. I lov the spotted mushrooms and also the very pretty tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lights looks lovely and that Christmas tree is gorgeous. I'm hoping to visit a Christmas market tomorrow and try to get into the spirit of things. I still have all my wrapping to do too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll have a lovely time. I don't know if I'll manage to this year, with the way things are heading. X

      Delete
  4. They are so pretty. Our town doesn't look like that they bulldozed all the little cobble streets back in the late 60's early 70's in favour of modern precincts. That is why we have a trip into Derbyshire where it so much prettier at this time of year.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a shame. I often wonder how many feet have walked on those cobbles over the years. X

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous displays! So cheerful and bright. You are ahead of me in most things Christmassy but I did get my cards written today. The overseas ones went out earlier this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That can often be quite a task in itself. It took me a while and I don't send half as many as I used to. X

      Delete
  6. Sounds wonderful. I am working on my cards today, too. That tree looks incredible! I love the green garlands, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree did look good there, this year, but I think the garlands were my favourite. X

      Delete
  7. Oh Wow! The lights are all so beautiful. I especially love the first picture of the charming street with garland and lights - very festive for sure. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. I enjoyed my visit there, especially as it was so lovely and quiet. X

      Delete
  8. The lights look so pretty! You are having some very busy days! I hope you do get some time to sit down and relax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. Things should get a little quieter for me after this week. X

      Delete
  9. The lights in the cobbled street and the Christmas tree look lovely. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such pretty lights. I've still got all my wrapping to do, and a few cards to finish writing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had every intention of wrapping as I went along this year. You can probably guess that it hasn't happened :)

      Delete
  11. They certainly know how to decorate a Christmas tree in K-----.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,what Beautiful and Magical lights.We had our late night shopping last night in the village.I went up as I had not seen the Christmas Lights,they always look so pretty and the tree too.It was soooo busy eveywhere,I didn't stay out long.Bitterly cold here too.Oh,I Love Pizza,so comforting and yummy.I have not bought any presents and still finishing making my cards,oh well.Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to set aside some time just to visit the lights, especially as it was so lovely and quiet when we went. X

      Delete
  13. It is great to get out after dark to view Christmas lights in different places.
    That central tree looks spectacular :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice to take a trip out with that sole purpose. I didn't have any errands to run or shopping to pick up. X

      Delete
  14. The lights are beautiful and what's wrong with having pizza you deserve it haha Have a lovely weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful in you part of the world! And never apologize for pizza night! We do the same here! I am hoping to start my cards tomorrow. Have a cozy evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Billie Jo. It's the one evening every week when I don't have to cook. X

      Delete
  16. Isn't it a joy to see the Christmas Lights :)

    Many thanks for sharing these lovely photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do it for Lily really, but I'm sure I get as much pleasure as she does from seeing them. X

      Delete
  17. What a handsome tree! I am feeling very Christmassy now and may pour myself an early tipple ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed a few of those myself, recently :)

      Delete