Wednesday 15 December 2021

Wednesday

 


My day began very early, as it always does. Mog was slow to stir, still feeling a little sorry for herself, having eaten a mouse which disagreed with her! I enjoyed my coffee in the quiet of those early hours, without so much as the gentle hum of the central heating boiler in the background. An hour or two of calm before heading out to work. It's been a busy week and I'm looking forward to enjoying some time off after I finish on Friday. 

Just as I had hoped, a quick trip into town and I've completed my Christmas gift buying. I admit, it's a relief. I don't have many people to buy for but it feels good to know I have one less thing to 'worry' about. I don't get caught up in the frenzy at this time of year, I'm just not a natural shopper and if I'm not careful I can find the whole thing quite stressful. This is something I have simply refused to get on board with these last few years - first world problems at their best. I'm going to see if I can set aside some time to make a start on the wrapping tomorrow, as I would quite like to have it finished in time for the weekend. 

This afternoon I planted some hyacinth bulbs into my copper pot. Six bright green shoots, with the promise of some beautiful scented flowers in the coming weeks.  I did intend to display some sprigs of holly in the centre of the dining table but, for now at least, this is where I have put the bulbs, as a reminder that, 'If winter comes, can spring be far behind?'

J. X

28 comments:

  1. I love your post today - especially that last quote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that photo, it gives me hope that there will be an end to this eternal darkness soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you were able to get all your gift shopping done! I love the planter with the hyacinth bulbs. It will look so pretty when the plants come up and flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always feels such a relief. I'm not very good at shopping. X

      Delete
  4. Love the bulbs, definitely a promise of spring. I really don't like all the hustle and bustle of Christmas. So many decisions to make too... this or that, maybe. I suppose traditions help, you just do the same as last year on repeat. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the bulbs have grown already! :)

      Delete
  5. Urgh, animals can be quite disgusting, lol. I remember going to the vet once with the cat we used to have, she asked if he was a hunter to which I replied that I didn't think so, he'd never brought anything home. She had a feel of his tummy and said "Oh yes he is". Haha. I absolutely love hyacinths, the scent is just gorgeous. Something to look forward to, I bet they'll be blooming not long after Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing the hyacinths flower and I just love how the scent fills the whole house. X

      Delete
  6. Cats, eh!! A good reason for having indoor cats, I reckon. Urgh!

    Those hyacinths will be lovely!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to when the hyacinths flower. They are meant to be white ones but I've been surprised before :)

      Delete
  7. I agree with you about the stressful side of the Christmas build up. Thankfully I don't have lots to buy for now and so I have enjoyed finding the perfect presents for folk. like you I have tried to ignore all the advertising pressures, with their seductive ways, trying to convince us the more we consume the happier we will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not easy trying to avoid the stress which often comes with the Christmas season, so I applaud you. I made a decision regarding gift buying a couple of years ago now and, although not appreciated at the time, it has been since, and it now means I have six fewer people to buy for. X

      Delete
  8. Hyacinths are heavenly. I found at a local tractor supply store one, which come with a glass for rooting the bulb and displaying indoors. I'm going to start that after the holidays. I'm not much on Christmas shopping, don't like shopping anymore, and don't like hoards of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I've ever really enjoyed shopping :)

      Delete
  9. Good to know your Christmas gift buying is done. I've ordered some gifts online all from one store and just have to collect and wrap and that's me done too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one more thing crossed off my list, at least. X

      Delete
  10. Poor Mog - and more to the point, poor mouse :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hugs to Mog. That will teach him 😹. Well done on the shopping. Bet you can’t wait to get to the end of today. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about Mog, she was soon back to her usual self. X

      Delete
  12. Lovely to see the hyacinth bulbs in your copper pot :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to seeing them in flower. X

      Delete
  13. Beautiful bustling bulbs with all the promise of spring! They will smell wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I love the scent of hyacinths. X

      Delete