Monday 13 March 2023

March

 


What was it I said in my last post about the wintry weather. As it happened, unlike the rest of the country, we didn't actually get very much in the way of snow here. It all looked very pretty for a day or so, then it thawed very quickly once the sun appeared. I hope everyone is keeping safe and warm. 

I would have posted sooner, but I have rather a lot going on the background at the moment. I have been mainly kept busy with my studies, and  I am really pleased to say my first modules have been completed and assessed, for which I received some very positive feedback. My next submission will take me a little while longer, as it covers a wider range of topics. Then, I think I will have a little break before looking at completing another course.

Another thing, which is proving quite draining, is the situation with my house. The chimney is, once again, letting in water, Lily's bedroom needs a new window fitting, the kitchen tap is dripping, and I need some further roof work completing at the front of the house. I really would like to get on with some decorating this year, but it seems pointless to do anything cosmetic until this work is completed. And of course, trying to get hold of trades people is a nightmare, so I'm finding it all a bit demanding, especially on top of everything else. Anyway, when I last checked, the chap has been out to take a look at the chimney but I am still waiting on a quote; the window company are now, thankfully, measuring up tomorrow; the plumber is booked to arrive the first week in April (I've also requested some new taps and a radiator in the downstairs loo), and I am still waiting on the roofer to get back to me. Wish me luck :) Should I also mention the water leaking from the boiler? Thankfully it is still working okay at the moment, and the engineer is coming out to it on Wednesday morning. 


Aside from the stress, I am happy to report that there have also been some nice things going on. Lily enjoyed her very first ski lesson. She had been wanting to give it a try for a while now, and last Christmas she was lucky enough to have been gifted a session at an indoor slope. She had such a great time there. The instructor was lovely and she took to skiing straight away. I can see a few more lessons happening in future. 


At the very end of February, I enjoyed a lovely walk from Far Sawrey, up to Moss Eccles Tarn. In  a contrast to the current damp weather, it was a lovely bright sunny day, and the tarn itself looked gorgeous, with the fells standing dramatically in the background. Apparently, it was one of Beatrix Potter's favourite places, and I can see why. I will definitely go back again in the summer, when I can spend even more time there.  The chips in the pub afterwards were pretty good as well. 

On the March 2nd, school took part in World Book Day. There were, as usual, some amazing outfits worn by all the children and staff. Lily went as Little Miss Sunshine, in a bright yellow sweatshirt and leggings, red ribbons tied in her plaits and some extra freckles added using an eyebrow-pencil. Not forgetting, of course, her natural sunshine personality ;)

The Warm Space was slightly better attended this week, and I baked a marmalade cake this time. There are only three more weeks left to go now, by which time I would like to think we will be experiencing some milder temperatures. It has, however, provided a wonderful opportunity for people to get together for some welcome companionship during the winter months, regardless of the circumstances. I wonder if these initiatives might be here to stay.

At the weekend we helped out at a local litter picking event. It was surprising just how much we managed to collect, as at first glance the area had looked almost completely free of  any sort of rubbish. One hour later and four refuse bags filled proved otherwise. A job well done by all concerned, and it was encouraging to witness all the children's enthusiasm.


Yesterday, we spent another morning orienteering. We completed two courses, finding all the markers, but I'm not sure whether or not it is something we will continue to participate in, moving forward. There are quite a few more meets coming up, so we definitely give it another go before making a decision one way or another. And of course, this course was just as muddy as the last, so I will be cleaning our boots once again this evening. 

I am still yearning for spring, and I am looking to the year ahead with cautious optimism. Fingers crossed I might have at least some of  these house issues sorted very soon. 

J. X



40 comments:

  1. I like the look of that tarn. Haven't got up to the caravan for a bit because of busy Ness but mostly because of the weather. Glad you found a nice day for your walk. Hope all the house issues get resolved soon. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tarn is such a pretty little spot to stop a while and take in the views. And Wise Een Tarn a little farther along the track makes for another lovely photo opportunity. I hope you get to visit the caravan again soon. Xx

      Delete
  2. I do hope you can get your house issues satisfactorily sorted...

    Near Sawrey and Far Sawrey are so lovely, we visited a few years back.
    The Lake district and surrounding area is so beautiful.

    I think many of us are looking forward to Spring, and it will not be too long before we alter the clocks :)

    Take care, my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I would be lying if I said these issues weren't stressing me out at the moment. Although my problems are minor compared to some, I realise.
      Roll on spring. Xx

      Delete
  3. I am sorry your house is requiring so many repairs, but, I can fully sympathize as my house, too, has some issues that need to be addressed!
    Congratulations on all the positive feedback on the courses you are doing. I'm sure that's very encouraging. :)
    Sounds like you've been busy working, studying, helping the community, and other activities! Hope the rest of the month goes well for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Bless. And I'll be over to catch up with all your news very soon.
      I'm so pleased to have completed this part of my studies. It feels very rewarding, and the subject matter is relevant to my work, so it is encouraging to receive such positive feedback. X

      Delete
  4. How frustrating to have so much than needs doing and having to wait on tradespeople. Good luck indeed - and it will be lovely when it's all done, won't it?

    You've been really busy and it all sounds very satisfying. Well done with the course and good luck with the next submission.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. Yes, trying to get hold of tradespeople can be a frustrating business at times. I can't wait until these jobs are out of the way and I won't have to worry about them any more. Xx

      Delete
  5. Trying to find tradesmen for home repairs and maintenance is probably the most frustrating aspect of home ownership. Fingers crossed you get everything lined up quickly. Litter picking is such a satisfactory activity, after just a short time, you can make a difference. I have my own litter picker.... but feel a bit embarrassed going out on my own! Of course it would be even better if there wasn't any litter. Alas. I am really happy to hear that you are receiving constructive positive feedback for your study assignments. As a learner, it is so valuable to receive good feedback. Have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would probably feel self conscious going out litter picking on my own, although I don't really know why, as whenever I notice anyone doing just that, I appreciate their hard work. Xx

      Delete
  6. WintersEndRambler14 March 2023 at 08:40

    Oh dear Jules...as the saying goes it never rains but it pours. I really hope your issues are fixed soon. I find it very frustrating that a lot of modern taps do not allow for a simple washer replacement...no no no...a complete tap is required...progress can be such a strange thing obviously! Lovely walks though...I'm jealous. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it didn't pour, as that's when it leaks in! 🤣 I just hope the roof chap gets back to me very soon. I'll have to chase him up if I haven't heard by the end of the week.
      The tap will need a new cartridge fitted, so the plumber will take care of that. So you're right, a washer would have been much more straightforward. Xx

      Delete
  7. Well done on receiving good feedback in your studies. i hope your house repairs can be completed sooner rather than later, sounds like it will be an expensive time for you. You have been very busy and I think we are all looking forward to Spring xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. Houses can be an expensive business, but I realise I am very fortunate in that I have a roof over my head, albeit a slightly leaky one. Xx

      Delete
  8. Oh, I feel your pain with the whole 'sourcing tradespeople' issue, which is always much, much worse when it's something that needs fixing yesterday, like a leaky chimney/boiler! I've been doing a lot of DIY plastering repairs recently, because I simply couldn't face searching for a plasterer to come and do things properly. I'm currently steeling myself to look for people to repoint the house and put a new roof on top - both of these tasks being regrettably out of my DIY league! It sounds like you might have (most of) the necessary people lined up, so I do wish you any/all the luck you need. Hopefully you will be weather-and-water-proof soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to get old of someone reliable seems almost impossible at times, not to mention exhausting. Well done on the plastering, and I hope you can manage to get your other work completed soon. X

      Delete
  9. Gah - why does everything go wrong at the same time? I feel your pain (the joys of living in 18th century house!
    You have been busy, I'm glad the studying is going well and admire you for having the discipline to stick at it.
    What an inspired choice for Lily's costume although as a child-free adult I was thinking of the film with Toni Colette rather than the Mister Men books! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't decide if it's a blessing or a curse, Vix. At least the repairs should all be out of the way reasonably soon - she says hopefully.
      Lily had no idea who Little Miss Sunshine was either - I just chose it, as it made for a simple costume :)

      Delete
  10. If a long cold winter isn't enough house repairs surely don't help! For some reason leaky chimneys seem to be this year's new black with so many people I know experiencing damp patches around the chimney breasts. Hope you get everything sorted soon. That ski slope looks very inviting - I am in Scotland at the moment and can see snow on the hills but it has only been a dusting here on the Mull, but we did have to dodge the hailstones today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope all is well at your cottage, Vivien. I noticed you had written a new post, and I will be enjoying a catch up later today. X

      Delete
  11. Sorry that everything is going wrong all at once, nightmare! It sounds like you're getting the property sorted. The warm space initiative is fantastic, sad that it's needed but tremendous that volunteers muck in and help. In town the Outreach Methodist church do fantastic work. I support them as and when with donating food and lots of misc items.. great for house decluttering. They've take so much of my downsizing things, hence I try to support them. Tomorrow we're opening up the Village Hall for a drop in cuppa/bring a project or game type thing. It's not a warm space but a community social. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. It is all a bit of a nuisance just now. And then I am trying to arrange times to get these jobs completed when I am not at work myself.
      The warm space has been a great community initiative and I have been happy to be able to help out. X

      Delete
  12. Despite all those dilemmas you are certainly making the most of life. Fingers crossed all your building matters are dealt with speedily. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't feel very easy to do at the moment, Barbara, but I try and count my blessings, knowing this situation should be temporary. I hope I won't be waiting too long. Xx

      Delete
  13. I hope you get good people to do that work on your home. I had to take care of many of the same issues at the cabin. It's such a relief to get it all done. There is always something when you own a home. How great for Lily to go skiing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephenie. Yes, it certainly feels that way at the moment, although I am trying to think positively. Xx

      Delete
  14. You've been oh-so busy...they're such wonderful ways to make sweet memories - skiing, baking, fresh-air walks - things always to be remembered. And I understand about home repairs...I'm currently balancing several as well, it's hard to know where to begin in finding repair companies that will be honest and strive to do a good job. You've reminded me...time to get out my to-do list and make some follow-up calls! Enjoy the weekend...Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling the decorating will need to wait. For the time being, at least, I will be relieved just to get on top of these repairs. X

      Delete
  15. Hello! So happy to see you here today! I am sorry about all the house repairs. I know exactly what you are talking about! Same here. It seems it is always something, right? Lovely photos. Happy almost spring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good luck with those tradesmen, it's a nightmare trying to find someone to do a job for you these days. The number of people who have let us down, well, you'd think that people don't want the work. I hope you fare better than we have. Very well done on the positive feedback for your studies, it's hard work but I'm sure it will all be worth it. How exciting for Lily to have a ski lesson, glad she enjoyed it, though she does seem to be the outdoorsy type so I thought she would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo, I need all the luck I can get. Fingers crossed I have the necessary people lined up now, all except for the roof, and of course that's the most urgent really. X

      Delete
  17. I always feel so blessed to have a husband who can fix things when I hear of people trying to find folks to fix things around the house for them. I do hope you are able to get that sorted soon. How lovely to receive positive feedback, I feel sure it is was well deserved. It does feel like Spring is edging closer doesn't the temperatures are slowly climbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are truly blessed. It can be quite overwhelming having to bear the responsibility for everything. It has been a challenging couple of months, and now I can't wait for some warm spring weather. X

      Delete
  18. Urgh adulting sucks doesn't it ? My husband is trying to do up his late Mum's flat so that we can sell it but getting hold of tradespeople is such a nightmare. I feel your pain.
    Jillxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have someone that could just take on this sort of responsibility now and again. It can feel overwhelming at times. X

      Delete
  19. I do hope you manage to get the work done on the house and you find some reliable tradespeople. House stuff is always so stressful at these times.Well done to Lily with her skiing and being Little Miss Sunshine and to you Jules with the positive feedback on your studies. Hope the week gets better for you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverley. Trying to get hold of someone to do the work is a very frustrating business, and I will be relieved to get at least some of these jobs completed in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping that tradespeople will be a little like buses, in that if I'm waiting for long enough, several of them will appear all at once:)

      Delete
  20. I'm so sorry to hear about all the home repairs. I know it's really frustrating. Our kitchen faucet seems to drip no matter how many times we've repaired it. Happy first day of spring! I sure hope spring weather isn't far behind as I am so ready for it. Congrats to Lily for learning how to ski. That's so exciting for here. Take care, Jules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the good old days, the dripping tap would get fixed quite simply with a new washer, but now it needs a whole cartridge fitting. I just hope the rest of the plumbing work will be reasonably straightforward. X

      Delete