Sunday 26 March 2023

Slow Progress

 


I would love to be able to sleep as contentedly as these two. Enjoying a comfortable, warm bed, no bills to pay, and not concerned with what to eat for dinner every night. 

I am still having several issues with the house, but I am, at least, making some progress. The plumber should be arriving early next week to fix the taps and fit the new radiator, and the new window is booked in to be fitted on the Thursday. I have been assured a roofer will be around at some time in the next few days to find out what the problem is, and to give me a quote for any necessary repairs. As if all that wasn't enough, the gas engineer turned up last Wednesday morning, only to advise me that the part I needed for the boiler was now obsolete, meaning having to get a whole brand new one! This is now sitting in my hallway waiting to be fitted on Friday, until which time we have heating, but no hot water. It has been challenging to say the least. 

In happier news, it would seem spring is gradually beginning to show itself  here in the north. There are lambs in the fields, wild garlic is carpeting the woodland floor (I really need to go and pick some), and I have enjoyed seeing my washing blowing on the line on more than one occasion this past week. I'm still not entirely convinced that Wordsworth was in this part of the world when he wrote his Daffodils poem, as the only ones I've seen lately have been entirely flattened by the winds and rain, as opposed to 'fluttering and dancing in the breeze'. Thankfully, the weather does appear to be improving day by day; and now that the clocks have changed, we can look forward to some lighter evenings once again, which are always much welcome after the dark winter months. 

Mother's Day was lovely. I spent the morning relaxing at a nearby leisure club. I swam, went in the sauna and jacuzzi. It was quite a treat. After lunch I had my nails done, then I took my 'nail technician' for a bike ride down to the river. 😁

Yesterday, we spent another happy morning orienteering in the woods. Our times could be faster but our map reading skills are definitely improving, and we found all the markers. It was rather muddy underfoot, so after having had a good clean, my boots are still drying out. There are many more events planned, so we will have to try and see if we can pick up our pace.

For the Warm Space last week, I baked a Plum Cake. The recipe is here if you would like it. This week will be our last one, which will feel a little strange, although I am looking forward to having that time back, so that I can focus on completing the rest of my course work. It has taken a back seat recently, while I've been trying to get on top of everything else, and I really don't want to be late submitting it. I think I will bake chocolate brownies for the occasion.

Back soon.  

J. X


34 comments:

  1. Funny how problems like this have a nasty habit of coming all at once isn't it? I hope all goes according to plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lighter evenings make so much difference don't they? Your Mother's Day sounds lovely and the curled up cats look adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we still have the same hours in each day, but I get much more achieved during the lighter evenings. X

      Delete
  3. I am sorry to read of your house woes. Especially those which necessitate a new boiler (for which you have my sincere sympathies - I am waiting for our heating chap to come and look at the boiler which we had fitted not long after moving in - sometimes it makes noises that it absolutely should not, I have convinced myself it will have to be replaced so anything less will be a result!)

    Everyone seems to find it difficult to get decent tradesmen these days, so fingers crossed all your chaps turn up when they should. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jayne. The new boiler will be fitted tomorrow, all being well. When it comes to home ownership, there always seems to be something that needs looking at. I hope your issue isn't anything too serious. Xx

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that you enjoyed your Mother's Day. I hope all your house repairs are fixed soon... it's so frustrating when everything goes wrong at once. Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't just the repairs, but it's finding someone to come and actually do the work that seems to be the main issue. Fingers crossed it will be watertight by next winter, at least. Xx

      Delete
  5. Oh my! Don't those two look comfortable!
    Pleased you had a lovely Mothers Day.
    Your plum cake sounds delicious and I'm sure the chocolate brownies will be appreciated.

    Sorry to read about the house issues, hopefully they will soon be sorted.

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate brownies are in the tin and ready to go. I have already eaten one for quality control, of course :)

      Delete
  6. If it's not one thing, it is another. Hopefully, all these things will slot into place and get sorted very soon and without any more hassle.
    Thanks for the recipe - it looks so, so good. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By tomorrow evening, I should hopefully have running hot water!
      I'm very excited at the prospect :)

      Delete
  7. Yes to chocolate brownies. You deserve a treat after all these happenings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are rather delicious. I've had to test them, of course :)

      Delete
  8. Aw, don't those two look cute?! Not a single care in the world, knowing they are safe and comfortable and well looked after! I hope your repairs will be done soon and you will have hot water as well as heat, a new window, and the roof will be repaired. Lucky you to have an in-house nail technician! I used to have one, but, then, she grew up and left home! :D I hope you have a lovely warm and dry spring to look forward to. Take care of yourself. I'm off to take a look at that plum cake recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two have their moments, but they can look very sweet when they're curled up together. Xx

      Delete
  9. Your cute and contented cats certainly know how to live the life :-)
    Glad you had a lovely Mother's Day. Thank you for the plum cake recipe I will give it a go myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two have a lovely, stress-free existence. Xx

      Delete
  10. Hello, my friend. I am always so very happy when I visit here. Your posts are so warm and cozy and I feel as if I am visiting a friend. I hope your home issues are fixed as soon as possible. Things are just not built as they used to be, are they? Thank you for the cake recipe. It sounds perfect for a sweet little treat here soon. Have a cozy afternoon in your part of world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lovely thing to say, Billie Jo. Once these issues are dealt with I am hoping to be back writing about much lovelier things very soon. X

      Delete
  11. I do hope your tradesmen turn up and you get things sorted soon, being without hot water is hard. Your Mothers Day sounds wonderful as does your orienteering. I hope you have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. X

      Delete
  12. Lovely to see such comfy cats. :)
    I hope your hot water etc gets sorted soon. You definitely needed that Mothers Day treat. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The morning at the leisure club was lovely. I should really make it a more regular event. Xx

      Delete
  13. I agree those kitties have a blessed life without any worries. Hope your house problems resolve themselves very soon. I remember living without hot water for about eight months while we had our house renovated. In those days we had a twin tub washing machine so we’d heat up water in the twin tub and then pump it out into the bath. It worked quite well!
    Glad you had a lovely Mother’s Day. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eight months is a long time! I have found just over two weeks to be a struggle. Xx

      Delete
  14. It sounds like you're on track with your house repairs, fingers crossed it all goes to plan, especially the boiler, challenging is an understatement when you're left without hot water. Glad you enjoyed Mother's Day. Oh to be a cat, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope everything goes to plan, Jo. Xx

      Delete
  15. The kitties look so peaceful, I wish i could sleep as well. We've just had the same issues with the boiler, having to get a new one too. Mind you it is very old !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a care in the world for those two! It must be such a lovely existence.
      I hope you get your new boiler fitted without any problems. Xx

      Delete
  16. Oh jules you are having more than a challenging time aren't you.Do hope the trades are kind and come to do all of these jobs very soon for you.It's so stressful,and they all seem to come at once don't they.That plum cake sounds devine.I have got right back into my cooking and baking at last,it's taken ages but I'm doing it.made a very tasty quiche last week and it didn't hang around lol.I absolutely LOVE that pic of the moggies.Take care thinking of you.xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Lee. Someone has at least been round to take a look at the roof now. I would just like to have everything sorted before next winter. Xx

      Delete
  17. I'm glad to hear progress is being made with the home repairs. It's nice to be able to check things off the list. And yes, cats and dogs really have the life don't they? No worries for them whatsoever. The lighter evenings are so welcome after winter. The sun is still streaming through my window as I type at 7pm. Hope you have a great week! Hard to believe Easter is next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. The list is currently long, but I will be very happy to make some small progress at least.
      I'm loving these lighter evenings, even when the sun shows up all the dust in the house! Xx

      Delete