Thursday 27 April 2023

April Catch Up


It's been a while, and I hadn't intended to leave this long between posting, but I've been caught up with work, studying and attempting to manage the work being completed on the house. I am very happy to report that he dripping tap is now fixed, I have a radiator in the downstairs bathroom, and the bedroom window has been replaced. Yay!
As I type, there are men busily working on the roof and chimney, so I should actually be watertight come next winter. Now, I just need to find an electrician to replace the extractor fans, a joiner to box in the new boiler, and then arrange to have some new flooring fitted, none of which are urgent, thankfully. Then, once all of those have been completed, I can hopefully get on and decorate. 



In amongst the chaos, there has at least been time for more pleasurable activities. A few days after our walk up Blencathra, we visited the lovely little village of Downham. From there we walked up Pendle Hill, which has been on my list of things to do for ages. It is somewhere I have often driven past over the years but never actually had the opportunity to climb, until now. It was another bright and sunny day, and being a bank holiday weekend the summit was exceptionally busy. Fortunately for us, the way up from Downham was very much the less frequented path, we even spotted a deer on our way back to village. Downham itself is delightfully quaint and after a quick look around, we treated ourselves to some ice cream and sat down by the stream for a short while, before driving home again.
 


That afternoon we made some Easter nests. I always enjoy making these, although they never seem to last very long in this house :)


The following day, we left the car at home and went to Bowness-on-Windermere. Now, this isn't somewhere I would usually visit, especially on a bank holiday weekend, as it is often so busy with the many tourists who are naturally attracted to the area. Although, on this occasion, it didn't seem overly  crowded.  As always, we took our lunch with us and there were plenty of available benches where we could sit and eat, as well as enjoy the views. The pier and boats looked to be very busy however, so perhaps most of the visitors were out on the water.







The weather on Easter weekend had been rather glorious, so it came as no surprise that the temperatures dropped again during the week, and although overcast, it did remain fine for our trip to London. This time we visited the Sky Garden, which gave us a birds eye view of the city; Horse Guard's Parade, where they appeared to be making preparations for The Coronation; and to Chinatown, where we bought the most delicious cake from the bakery there, except it didnt make it home with us. Though Lily's favourite place would have to have been M&M's London, which is the world's largest sweet store, selling over 100 different types of M&M's in every colour of the rainbow. We did remember to bring those home :)

This last week I have been out running twice, and I am thrilled to report that my back was completely fine. And it is also reassuring to know that my legs still work :) Now that I have a little more time on my hands I hope to be going out more regularly, as it is the one exercise I really enjoy.  

Back soon. 
J. X  



 








44 comments:

  1. A lovely catch up - I just can't imagine why the easter nests vanish so quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate. We always enjoy making Easter nests. Xx

      Delete
  2. It is nice to hear of your adventures together - lovely walks, trip to London. It all sounds wonderful (as do those eatables!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to make the most of the sunny weather. Xx

      Delete
  3. The Easter nests look delightful and as usual you got some great photos of your various excursions. My favourite is the Bowness one, it's a lovely shot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely view from the shoreline, looking right up the lake. Xx

      Delete
  4. Hello! So nice to hear that the projects are completed! Your Easter nests look delicious! I have never made them, but I will most certainly try next year. I am thinking you are getting excited for the coronation! We are way over here! Have a cozy day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Billie Jo. The bulk of the roof work has been completed now. If any rain gets in again next year, I will know it must be the chimney cowls, and they are easily replaced. Xx

      Delete
  5. A beautiful April catch-up.

    Lovely photographs from both the Easter weekend and your trip to London.
    Fabulous views from Sky Garden.

    Enjoy these last few days of April and early good wishes for the new month of May.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I can't believe May begins next week. Xx

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos as always and a treat for me to see parts of the world I'm not likely to see in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. I'm glad you like them. X

      Delete
  7. I wonder why Easter nests don't last very long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very popular in this house :)

      Delete
  8. How wonderful, Jules. You describe it so well. I LOVE London!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be visiting again this summer. X

      Delete
  9. That sounds like a very satisfying Easter for both of you. Fabulous photos and some beautiful skies, both the blue ones and the more ominous ones above London.
    Great news about the running, keep it up! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can keep up with my running. Frustratingly, it's the time and opportunity I lack, rather than the enthusiasm. Xx

      Delete
  10. It's a good feeling knowing all those jobs that need doing are getting done and you'll be all sorted sooner than you think. You enjoyed some really wonderful outings over the Easter holidays and good to know you are back out running again xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel as though I am making some headway now, Eileen. Although, just as soon as one job gets crossed off my list, another one appears at the bottom :)

      Delete
  11. Great news about the work in and outside the house and I'm so glad the back is now fine again.
    As always, amazing photos, thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. It is a relief to have now got the bulk of the work completed. X

      Delete
  12. Goodness, what an exhausting array of activity - but huge well done for getting all the work carried out on your house, and good luck finding trades to finish the rest.

    At least May has more Bank Holidays than it knows what to do with so hopefully you will get some rest and recuperation time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had actually been feeling guilty for not doing enough with Lily during the holidays. She did have a LOT of tablet time while I was completing my coursework - not that she was complaining :)

      Delete
  13. I love your blog, your colours! Hugs from Turkei!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very kind of you to say. Thank you. X

      Delete
  14. I'm pleased to hear that those tradesmen turned up, you've had more luck than I have, haha. Oh, I know just where you were standing to take that photo of Bowness -on-Windermere because I stood in the same position last month. Isn't it beautiful. I didn't make any Easter nests this year and now, seeing your photos, I'm regretting it. It was always an Easter activity here when my two were small. You fitted plenty in your trip to London, it's always a busy but enjoying holiday when visiting the capital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is never easy getting hold of tradespeople, then trying to pin them down to an exact date is almost impossible! Thank goodness for my work colleague who put me in touch with her lovely dad :) I hope your luck improves soon. Xx

      Delete
  15. Looks like April has been a good month for you with all this practical tasks achieved. And lots of lovely places visited too. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April seems to have been much busier than I had anticipated. It probably explains why it flew by. Xx

      Delete
  16. Lovely to see Pendle Hill on your blog. I recognised that photo straight away! As a child I went to primary school in Downham as did my Dad before me. It's a lovely village. The little ice-cream shop on the village green is run by an ex work colleague of mine, I haven't managed to get there this year though. Looks like you had a lovely Easter break too. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt amazing to have finally climbed Pendle Hill. Downham is a beautiful village and I imagine it was a lovely school to attend. I wonder if it was your ex-work colleague who served me, as it felt so good to hear a proper Lancashire accent again. It had been a while :)

      Delete
  17. Not only is it difficult to get tradesman to come but finding reliable and competent tradesmen is also a struggle. Our two youngest grandchildren are too small to eat the mini crunchy Easter eggs I am told by my daughters that like grapes and cherry tomatoes the advice now is not to give them to young children as they can block the airway if accidentally swallowed whole - but yours do look so enticing.
    It is always exciting to have a visit to London - I couldn't live there now it would be far too busy - a weekend is just nice.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't many sweet treats Lily can enjoy, but she does like to eat mini eggs. There are so many recommendations for children these days. Sensible precautions, I suppose. Xx

      Delete
  18. Well that was a lovely catch up with you Jules :) The Sky Garden looks a lovely place to visit and The Easter nests look yummy. So glad to read that your back is better and you're out and about running again. Have a lovely Bank Holiday. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely to hear from you, Suzanne. I do miss your blog :)

      Delete
  19. Good to hear the work on your house is getting done without hiccups. Fingers crossed you'll see the end of the work soon. It looks like London was a great trip. My kids would love to visit the M&M shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt great to finally get the roof work completed. And without any issue - they just got on with it and swept up the mess :)
      Our visit to the M&M's shop was a lot of fun. I expect Lily will want to visit again soon. Xx

      Delete
  20. Wow such grand views, my 2 boys (early 20's) went to London recently. They took in all the major sites. The older one loves M&M's so would've loved to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been taking a more gradual approach to our sightseeing. I've already made a list of places to see on our next trip. X

      Delete
  21. The area where you live is so beautiful with all the hills,valleys and lakes and your pictures capture them so well.
    Glad that your back is so much better and you can enjoy running again. Also great news that some of those house jobs have now been ticked off the list. Have a great rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beverley. I never tire of Lakeland views, and I realise how lucky I am to live where I do. And yes, it is a huge relief to be making headway with the work on the house. Xx

      Delete
  22. Great to catch up and good to hear that things are going well for you and the house. The very mention of Blencathra sent a shiver down my spine: particularly as I know I'll never walk on her ridge again. Bowness was busy even when I first went there over 60 years ago. On the other hand I haven't been in London since my son's funeral (he lived there) in 2006 and I have no desire whatsoever to return despite the art galleries etc. It's so full of people 😣.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand your take on London. Although, considering we were there during the half-term week, it wasn't really all that busy. Bowness was bustling rather than crowded, but I expect it will be a while before I visit again - I prefer the fells :)

      Delete