Tuesday 23 May 2023

Ten



During this last week, my now not-so-little girl reached double figures. Ten! Surely this can't be right.
It really doesn't seem so long ago that I walked into the maternity hospital in the very early hours of a clear, warm spring morning (I remember it as though it were only yesterday) returning home later on the same day to a slightly fuller house and a very different future to the one I had planned out for myself years earlier. This little bundle of joy arrived and turned my life around for the better.

She is stubborn, feisty, a bit of a whirlwind at times, and she is also the kindest, funniest and most generous human I know. During the last twelve months she has grown so tall, and it wont be long before she catches up with me, and it is a wonderful privilege to watch her growing in confidence and become increasingly independent as the years go by. 


To celebrate, we spent the morning at a waterpark by the beach. What an amazing place. There was a wave pool, so many water slides and a huge lagoon area, although my favourite part of the morning was when Lily activated a large water cannon. The look on her face when she realised she had showered water over all the people in the pool area was priceless. Lily absolutely adores being in the water. In fact, she generally prefers being under the water - I'm almost certain she is half mermaid! It was a beautiful sunny day, so afterwards we went for a wander down on the beach and enjoyed some freshly cooked chips, followed by a chocolate ice cream.  We will definitely be making a return visit. 


Lily can't eat cake, but she does enjoy chocolate cornflake 'cakes', so I made some of these and tried to make them look as celebratory as possible, with the addition of her favourite M&M's and some candles. 
And following on from last year's success, she has now declared this year to have been her, 'Best Birthday ever!' I wonder if next year will be just as fun?

J. X

28 comments:

  1. I think the cornflake cakes did a good job. How I wish I could go back a few years. Enjoy them while they are young. Briony x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time goes by far too quickly doesn't it. Xx

      Delete
  2. Belated Happy Birthday wishes Lily, so glad you had a wonderful 10th birthday full of fun xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. She had a lovely day. Xx

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday wishes to Lily, it's hard to believe she has now reached double figures. It sounds like she had a lovely fun day and the cornflake cakes look delightful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eunice. Tell me about it! She's looking very grown up all of a sudden. Xx

      Delete
  4. Happy 10th birthday, Lily!
    The cornflake cakes look delicious!
    Children do grow up fast, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. Yes, they do! I often think it would be quite nice to press the pause button. Xx

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday, and remember no matter what age, she will always be your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy, happy birthday, Lily. Those fcakes look so delicious and what a fantastic way to celebrate a birthday. May there be many more, each one better than the year before. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. The crispies were very well received and quite honestly, much easier to 'bake' than a regular cake :)

      Delete
  7. Jules - what a delightful birthday you gave your daughter - it all sounds perfect - and the weather joined in the perfection, The cakes look almost too good to eat! Very happy birthday Lily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat. Lily doesn't like too much fuss on her special day, so this was perfect. Xx

      Delete
  8. Happy 10th Birthday Lily. Those cornflake crispy cakes look very delicious, I bet they were.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can remember my tenth birthday...I wore flares!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are back in style :) I remember getting a gorgeous pastel blue jumper for my tenth birthday. I was on holiday in north Wales at the time. X

      Delete
  10. What a lovely way to celebrate Lily's 10th birthday and create special memories together. Crispie cakes make a great alternative to a usual cake and look just as fun and tasty. Happy Birthday Lily, may this year be filled with all the things that make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Belated Happy 10th Birthday wishes to Lily :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday to your beautiful big girl! You're such a lovely mum! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix. I still feel like I'm winging it, even after all these years. Xx

      Delete
  13. Those look delicious. It sounds like she had a fabulous time. You do a lot of fun things together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a lovely day, Stephenie. Xx

      Delete
  14. Happy belated birthday, Lily. That sounds like the perfect way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete