Wednesday 28 June 2023

Warm June Evenings

Recently, I saw a quote somewhere, which read 'June is the gateway to summer.' I sincerely hope this is true and that we haven't seen the last of the warm sunny weather.

June began with some truly glorious sunshine and high temperatures, which continued up until last week when heavy showers finally interrupted our long spell of dry weather. And even though the rain has been much needed for the gardens and in order to replenish the reservoirs, I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will be only a temporary blip in the grand scheme of things, and that summer, in the way I prefer it, will return again very soon.

Today has been very dull and incredibly wet. The garden has breathed a sigh of relief and the cats have returned to their usual positions on the beds - even Mog! It is for this reason that I try to embrace those warm sunny days whenever I can, sometimes even on a school night! 


This is often all done in  bit of a hurry, and it isn't always easy, especially while having to factor in the time for homework, necessary household chores etc. But every so often, I remind myself that life moves quickly,  and it is so important to just stop and be present in the moment. Creating those special memories while we can.


On several evenings in the last few weeks, we've been down by the lake shore. It's a wonderful time of day, and it is surprising how quiet it can be there, especially knowing how busy it would have been earlier in the afternoon. And there are also not many activities that compare with watching the late evening sun setting over the fells. This is something that can only be enhanced while enjoying a chippy tea, which has happened on more than one occasion recently :)


We've walked by waterfalls, paddled in the lake and simply sat and watched the world go by from beneath the cool shade of a large oak tree. 




Last week, however, we got to indulge in one of the most idyllic swimming spots in The Lakes, all to ourselves. We walked there late in the afternoon, with Lily still wearing her school uniform dress and her trainers. This must have been great timing on our part because this beautiful, naturally formed plunge pool, surrounded by fells and overlooking the lake was ours alone, for a short while, at least. It was so relaxing, and we enjoyed such a wonderful evening swimming under the bright blue sky, in the crystal clear water. It was the perfect way to cool off at the end of a hot day. 


If June is, in fact, the gateway to summer, then I am looking forward to seeing what else lies in store for us. 

J. X

I



36 comments:

  1. A walk in such wonderful scenery after a chippy tea sounds absolute bliss. The photos are, as always, absolutely stunning.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chips always taste better when they're eaten outdoors. X

      Delete
  2. You certainly are creating those special memories. July is promised to be very hot so looks like it's going to be a glorious summer xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I like he sound of that! Let's hope the sunshine returns. Xx

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful start to your summer! I hope you have many more warm summer days to enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't really complain, as we've enjoyed a really lovely few weeks. I'm just hoping the sunny weather will return in time for our summer break. Xx

      Delete
  4. As you rightly say, the gardens are so in need of water (as are the reservoirs) but I already miss the sun and warmth.

    Well done for finding the quiet spots, if you can time things so that the visitors have gone back to their accommodation there are still some lovely places to enjoy without the crowds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grass is looking slightly greener than it did this time last week, but I do long to feel the warmth of the sun on my skin again soon.
      Those quiet spots are very precious :) But how lucky are we that we get to enjoy this beautiful part of the world all year long. X

      Delete
  5. Jules - your post reminded me of one of my father's quotes - he was a great poetry reader. WH Davies I think but am not sure 'what is this life if full of care, we have no time to stand and stare.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just occasionally, we need a gentle reminder to do just that. X

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous pics as usual, thank you for sharing. Looks like you had a wonderful time x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I feel almost bereft now that the weather has taken a turn. X

      Delete
  7. You live in a beautiful part of the UK.
    Your photographs are always a delight to see.
    I do agree with you, grab every moment to enjoy time and make special memories, they last a lifetime :)

    June is almost at an end, the month has certainly passed by so quickly.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't think that the longest day was over a week ago now. Here's hoping that the weather picks up again soon. X

      Delete
  8. My goodness! What a wonderful place to usher in summer!!!! Here's to many more summer adventures, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realise you will be more excited about what is next to come :) But I will always yearn for those hazy summer days. Xx

      Delete
  9. I am fortunate to live in a place of great beauty (and I do have the sea as well) but when I see your pictures - particularly in this case of the plunge pool (reminds me of Haystacks for some reason) and the path photo after the little jetty I am transported back to a time of my life when the world was before me and The Fells were an escape from the cut and thrust of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the fells hold a very special place in the hearts of many, myself included. X

      Delete
  10. Glorious photos, all the better for the glorious sunshine. It doesn't feel very summery here this morning, here's to it perking up soon! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix. At least you got the sunshine for Glastonbury, X

      Delete
  11. That sounds idyllic, and you're right, life moves quickly so enjoy it while you can. It's a bit dull here today but we haven't had much of the rain we've been forecast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we must have had your rain today. And I was working outside all morning :(

      Delete
  12. Looking fabulous in your corner. I remember a quote I read in a cafe in Scotland last year. It was by the comedian Billy Connelly. He reckoned there were only two seasons in the north of the uk June and Winter. It did make me laugh as we watched the rain pour down outside the window! B x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely stunning photos! You really do live in such a beautiful part of the world. It finally feels like summer here - just this week, actually. And it's hard to believe tomorrow is the first day of July. It really sneaks up on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. This year is passing a little too quickly for my liking. X

      Delete
  14. Just lovely...and you're doing it right, enjoying every moment as it comes.You inspire me from across the miles...I can often get caught up in what needs doing, forgetting to do something just for fun. The work will definitely be there when I get back. Thanks...Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying very hard not to disturb the dust. That way it is less noticeable :)

      Delete
  15. The last few evenings haven't been up to much... but we did have quite a run of lovely weather so can't complain! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been absolutely glorious. I just hope we haven't seen the last of it. X

      Delete
  16. Thank you for your wonderful photos. Your area is beautiful, I love the vastness and the rocks with the small and larger lakes.
    Splendid. I enjoyed it.
    I wish you get the summer of your wish. You're right, we'd love to have lots of sun with a blue sky and little wind... to enjoy the summer.
    Hug of Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Viola. Xx

      Delete
  17. The swimming spot looks lovely. I do hope we get some more dry weather, I think maybe Friday it's forecasted, but as for after that....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather picks up once school finishes for the summer. X

      Delete
  18. It looks magnificent, Jules. I love your photos. I have been spending time at our lakes, too. Kayaking this morning was so lovely. Glad to hear you two are enjoying your summer together. I love reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being out on the water feels very relaxing. X

      Delete