Saturday 17 June 2023

'Bother That Cat!' Again

 


It's been quite a week, and not helped by this one, who has developed a bit of a health problem. She isn't off her food at all and doesn't appear to be in any discomfort, so I am hoping it isn't anything too serious.

She has already been seen by the vet, and although they haven't been able to find anything obviously untoward, she has been given some pain relief medication and I have been trying my best to keep a closer eye on her. I have my fingers firmly crossed that the problem will resolve itself without the need for more tests but I just have a feeling that this is something which will require further investigation.

Anyway, yesterday morning I set off for work as usual. Both cats had been fed and I'd also put some fresh water out for the pair of them. Boo had gone back outside again and Mog was fast asleep at the top of the stairs. It's just where the sun hits the house first thing in the morning, and probably the warmest part of the house throughout the day, so really not the best place for her to be at the moment. Just try telling her that :)

I returned home shortly after 3 o'clock and it's not out of the ordinary for me to not see either of the cats for a while (unless I happen to open the fridge door!), especially at this time of year, so it didn't strike me as being unusual that I didn't see Mog. 

As the evening went on, Boo came in, and then went out again. Still no sign of Mog. I assumed she would have gone outside later in the day and found a cool shady spot beneath the trees for a relaxing sleep. 

By the time I went to bed, I was a little concerned, especially given her recent health issues. Years ago she would have been out for hours at a time, but now that she's reached middle age, she tends not to wander too far from home. I checked in all of her favourite places - the spare bedroom, the cushion on the chair at the far end of the dining room, and under the bed. Nothing.

Cue a restless night for me. I got briefly disturbed by Boo in the early hours, still no sign of Mog. 

Every time I woke momentarily I listened out, but heard nothing. I was hoping for that familiar click of the cat-flap, but sadly it remained silent. I was imagining all sorts of scenarios in my head, none of which had a positive outcome. 

Finally, after a very restless night, she was discovered. Fast asleep in the bath, hidden behind the shower curtain. 
Bother that cat!

J. X

36 comments:

  1. My heart was in my mouth reading that, thank goodness you found her safe. I hope she will be OK and it's nothing serious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just so out of character for her, but I will know where to look in future. X

      Delete
  2. Aww, bless her! Cats are such a worry and a law unto themselves. What a strange girl napping in the bath.
    Mog is absolutely gorgeous. I hope she's back to her old self very soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has never been afraid of water, but I've never known her to sleep in the bath before. X

      Delete
  3. I know only too well how it feels when our cats are unwell. Maybe a blood test will turn something up. I know Willow had the blood test and it showed up her thyroid problem and although she isn't in top health she is so much better and not having fits now. I do hope you get to the bottom of the problem and it's something that can be put right. hugs. Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vet didn't seem to have any idea, but if she's no different in a couple of weeks I will take her back. Xx

      Delete
  4. How funny! So glad you found her and that she is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Mog! You certainly had your Mum worried!
    I'm glad she was found, safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mog is such a good cat, but just every now and then she likes to get me worried. Xx

      Delete
  6. It's a terrible feeling when a beloved cat goes missing, isn't it? All those possible scenarios - some are terrible! I am so, so glad she wasn't missing after all, just hidden. Phew. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, she has never gone missing for real. X

      Delete
  7. That is a worry (and a sleepless night) you can well do without. I shall cross my own paws that the health worries resolve quickly, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jayne. She's reached this age without any major concerns, so I've been very fortunate. Fingers crossed. X

      Delete
  8. I would be exactly the same, anytime one of ours does not come home, I worry, luckily for us neither of our older girls leave our garden these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would have been as worried if it wasn't for her health concerns. She often stays out longer during hot weather. Xx

      Delete
  9. How very cat-like, They do like to remind us of their superiority now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless her furry paws! I am glad Mog is home and safe xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a worry ... but pleased you found her safe and sound.
    However, I do hope she will be ok and she has nothing serious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. I will see how she gets on over the next two weeks, and then I will think about taking her back to the vet. X

      Delete
  12. The little minx! At least she's safe. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one word to describe her. I was just relieved she was okay. Xx

      Delete
  13. Oh that did make me laugh. Ours love the bath too😻. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Lily was much younger, Mog would always come in and 'supervise' at bathtime. X

      Delete
  14. Oh, they're such a worry. Glad she turned up safe and sound, haha. I hope the health worries are sorted out, perhaps it's something to do with the heat, I can't imagine having to wear a fur coat in the temperatures we've been having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's turning into a game, as I couldn't find Boo this afternoon. He was hiding in the laundry basket! X

      Delete
  15. That is such a good story...hiding out all along! I worry too when ours go out adventuring. A thought if maybe you find him there often...we had a cat that liked to curl up in the bathroom sink, a trip to the vet and we found out that he had a UTI - they like the cool porcelain because it soothes the discomfort. Easily taken care of with a prescription...while I hope not, just sharing my experience in case it helps. Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary, but I suspect it was just somewhere to keep cool in this heat. She often jumps into the bath but I've never known her to sleep there before. Her health issues are still ongoing but she has started some new medication as of this morning. We just need to wait and see if it will have any effect. Xx

      Delete

      Delete
  16. They're always where you least expect them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just relieved to have found her, even though she wasn't actually missing in the first place :)

      Delete
  17. Oh naughty Mog. I was just thinking she may have been trying to keep cool, when I saw your reply to Windy Meadows Farm above. Hope she is doing better now. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shazza. Mog seems much the same but I'm hoping we might see some improvement going forwards. Xx

      Delete