Sunday 12 November 2023

Catch Up

I would just like to say thank you for your all kind words and messages, they are very much appreciated. It's been a little over a month since I was last in this space. At first, October seemed to drag on and on, and yet, as the days became darker, all of  sudden we were into November, and it felt as if it was over in the blink of an eye. It's been a challenging month for me, as I have been grappling with my health. It's nothing serious. At least I don't think it is. Just some sort of a virus that I can't seem to shake. I'm also not ignoring the fact that had I not been so run down in the first place, I would have been back to my old self long before now. As it is, I'm still far from feeling in good health, but this week I feel like I may have turned the corner. Here's hoping.

It was for that reason that I took a step back from posting here. Looking after Lily and keeping things ticking over have been about all I could manage. 



Anyway, a brief catch up. These autumnal pictures seem at odds with the weather we're currently experiencing - almost wintry- but I'm going to post them anyway :)

In the middle of October, before my health took a downward spiral, we took a trip to our nearest pumpkin patch. It was a glorious blue sky morning for our visit, and there was even a ground frost, which for a short while at least made the whole field sparkle. We chose five pumpkins in all. One of which was so very small, it was far too cute to leave behind. 

We combined our trip out with a visit to Acorn Bank. The trees were just beginning to shed their leaves and as it hadn't been that long since we visited the flour mill, instead we took the woodland walk towards the wildlife hide. It was lovely and quiet there with just the two of us, but we still didn't manage to spot any wildlife. 

The following week we went to The Peak District, staying in the lovely village of Winster. Now, if someone had said to me the evening before that I could have cancelled with a full refund, I would have snapped their hand off. Unusually for me, I really wasn't feeling in the mood for going anywhere, and looking back, that should have been an indicator that something wasn't quite right.



I am glad we went though. We went to Bakewell, Matlock Bath and the village of Eyam. One morning it rained, and so we stayed dry by enjoying a visit to the nearby National Trust property of Keddleston Hall. Then in the afternoon, by the time we went for a walk up on the moor, it had all but cleared.

We stopped in an old miner's cottage, so evenings were spent cosying up in front of the wood burner. You can just about see our pumpkin which we decided to take along with us. I told you it was small!



Our last day was spent in Matlock Bath at The Heights of Abraham. Admission to the Heights is by cable car, which was an experience in itself, given the glorious weather. We could see for miles. Here we took guided tours of two underground caverns and also enjoyed panoramic views. Thankfully, I was able to keep going fuelled by a combination of sunshine and coffee.

Although it was genuinely lovely to get away, and I don't wish to appear ungrateful, but I was quite relieved to come home again. When you're under the weather, the comforting familiarity of home cannot be underestimated, and I was also missing my cats. 🐈

Hallowe'en was the busiest I remember in while. I'm sure we received at least eight groups of callers, all of whom were wearing the most amazing costumes, and were all very sweet and polite. I almost gave up on my dinner that evening, as every time I sat down to eat, would hear the door knocker again.  







Last weekend we enjoyed a gentle walk around Grasmere. I don't think I could manage to get up on the fells right now but I was desperate to get out, even if it was just for a short while. The Lake District is displaying it's autumn colour and there is nowhere I would rather be to try and recharge my batteries.


Bonfire night was spent toasting marshmallows and lighting sparklers in our garden.

So far, the remainder of this month is looking fairly quiet, so I'm hoping I can use this time to recuperate and regain my strength before December begins. I'm also going to attempt to slow down and pace myself more, which is never more important for me than during the cold winter months. 

J. X


44 comments:

  1. Dear Jules, I've been away from Blogland too so hadn't realised that something was amiss. I have to say that I feel for you and admire you stoicism and the fact that you do not let 'it' defeat you. Your adventures around Matlock etc are in areas that I used to know well (nearly went to live there at one stage) so it was good to see the pictures. Of course your photos of the Lakes are always truly uplifting. I do hope that things improve for you and that you are soon back to your desired normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Graham. I can gladly say I'm beginning to make some progress at last. It's slow, but it's still progress.
      The Peak District is a beautiful area. I can see why you would have wanted to live there. Xx

      Delete
  2. Your photos of the scenery, well indeed all of them, are utterly beautiful and soothing to look at, particularly the ones with the water. I loved seeing such perfect examples of Fly Agaric mushrooms too! Sorry to hear you were ill. I do know what you mean about not wanting to seem ungrateful but wanting your own bed when unwell. Last February, we went to Bruges for a 4-5 day break and I had an utterly awful cold which really made me feel miserable, made it hard to breathe or sleep and meant food was not an enjoyment which meant I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have done (and just wanted my bed!)
    Your teeny pumpkin is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! I hope your trip wasn't ruined through your ill health. I did, at least, manage to enjoy my time away, even though I was relieved to come home again.
      I'm looking forward to a return to full health very soon. Xx

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry you have been feeling so ill. Take care of yourself and I hope you can rest and recuperate. So pleased you were able to enjoy Halloween and Bonfire night with Lily and I hope you have your strength back as December is such an important month preparing for Christmas xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. Everything hurts still, but I'm focusing on eating well. taking in plenty of fluids, and resting whenever I get the opportunity. X

      Delete
  4. Glad you are feeling a little better. Just looking at your gorgeous autumnal photos has a feel good factor to it. Envious of your trip to Acorn Bank, certainly a lovely spot. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. Acorn Bank is a lovely place to visit. The last time we visited was on a hot, dry day last summer, so it was nice to see some autumn colour. X

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry you have not been feeling well, Jules, and hope you have been seen by a doctor. There are one or two rather vicious viruses going around this year, according to my doctor who wants me to take a several vaccines, including one for RSV.
    I do love seeing your pictures of the places you've visited. You take some of the loveliest photos, I think.
    Do try and take it easy and get plenty of rest. Hope you feel better, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been seen by a doctor, Bless. I would have made an appointment this week, had I not began to feel some sort of improvement. I'm focussing on eating nutritious meals and getting plenty of rest. Taking things easy does not come easy to me :)

      Delete
  6. As the others have said, I am so sorry it's been so hard for you recently. I hope it lifts soon.
    The holiday sounds amazing - Derbyshire and the Peaks are my favourite places -and your photos are brilliant, as always. Thanks for sharing them and it's lovely to hear from you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. It's slow progress but I feel like I am, at last, beginning to get my strength back. X

      Delete
  7. Your photographs of the Lakes are so calming and peaceful and the ones of Derbyshire look fascinating. Eyam is interestimg isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eyam was fascinating. The museum was closed on the day we visited, so I'm going to read more about the history of the village. X

      Delete
  8. I have been thinking about you, my friend. I am sorry you have been unwell, and I pray you are feeling better very soon. I have missed you here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Billie Jo. It feels good to be back. X

      Delete
  9. Dear Jules, it's so lovely to see you back and it's great that you are starting to feel a bit better. Slowing down and pacing yourself sounds like an excellent idea. I have to do the same, but it's sometimes hard for me to remember to do so on days when I am feeling okay.
    I love your Autumnal photos. I can just imagine walking through all those crunchy leaves. Hallowe'en sounded like fun at your house with the trick-or-treaters visiting and your little pumpkin. And bonfire night with sparklers and toasted marshmallows :o)
    I hope that you will be feeling a lot better soon. Hugs, Rose x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Rose. If my health was dependent on well wishes, then I would be feeling much better already.
      Pacing myself is always something I struggle with. I usually need to be reminded to slow down and take things easy, but at the moment I don't have the choice. X

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear you have been unwell - I have been away for a while again too - not through illness (other than being low in spirit as the day to day problems with my mum continue). I am just about to spring back to life for a while, fingers crossed, and have been working on a post myself. Having hardly any time to go places myself at the moment it has been therapeutic to see your lovely pictures and especially of Derbyshire where we would normally head off to for the day. Sending hugs for a complete return to good health. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely to hear from you Vivien. I'm sorry you've not been feeling your usual self, but you have a lot on your plate with looking after your grandchildren as well as caring for your mum. In between it all I imagine it must be all too easy to overlook your own wellbeing. I read a saying somewhere recently, which resonated with me, 'If you don't make time for your wellness, then you will be forced to make time for your illness.' X

      Delete
  11. I missed you while you were gone, and kept wondering if you were OK. Sorry to hear the germs got you, viruses can be tricky b*ggers to shake off and post viral fatigue is real. I wish for you some slow, quiet, restorative days as we ease gently through the remainder of Autumn, feel well soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is so lovely and thoughtful of you to say, thank you, Lucy.
      This is the first time I've been completely floored by a virus, which I have found debilitating and frustrating in equal measure. Putting my own wellbeing at the forefront is a brand new concept for me, but feels essential just now. X

      Delete
  12. So good to have you back Jules and I wish you all the very best for your health recovery. It is rotten when you feel like that.
    Beautiful pictures of the Lakes in their Autumn colours and I enjoyed seeing the pumpkin patch.
    We visited both Bakewell and Keddleston Hall last year and would go back to both if we were in the area again. Take care of yourself this week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverley.
      I did enjoy my time in The Peak District, I just wish I had been feeling well enough to fully appreciate it. Perhaps I'll just have to make a return visit :)

      Delete
  13. I'm sorry you have been so unwell and I hope you are feeling much better now, I still haven't got over covid that I caught at the beginning of October my voice is still gravelly. These viruses really get a hold don't they. Your photos are lovely, we had a lot of callers at Halloween this year too it looks like you and Lily had a fun time. Take care of yourself busy christmas times coming up! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I do wonder if I had Covid. There were several cases that I was aware of at work and it could also explain why I'm finding it difficult to fight off.
      I'm looking after myself with lots of rest, plenty of fluids and some nutritious meals. X

      Delete
  14. Hi Jules. I'm so happy to see you back here in this space. I'm very sorry to hear you've been unwell. I do hope you are now feeling much better. Take care of yourself. It's so important that we do - especially this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. I'm taking things as gently as possible at the moment. I don't want to be feeling this rubbish on the run up to Christmas. Xx

      Delete
  15. I was so pleased to see you back on your blog. I hope you get back to yourself soon, I don’t think there is anything worse than trying to keep going when you don’t feel totally yourself. I always enjoy your photos. I was particularly interested in the fact that you had visited Eyam. Some years ago staying at a bed and breakfast in Hertfordshire I read a book on Eyam, it was fiction but based on the story of the plague and what the residents did. I hope you continue to “turn the corner”. Good wishes, Jean in Winnipeg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Necessity is what's keeping me ticking over ar the moment, Jean.
      Together with a hefty dose of stubbornness :)
      Eyam is a fascinating little village, which is steeped in history. It was a shame we missed out on the museum. X

      Delete
  16. Sorry you have been feeling 'under the weather', I hope you are feeling stronger now and on the road to a full recovery.

    All of your photographs were a joy to see and the Lake District is looking fabulous as it shows off the wonderful Autumn colours.

    Take care.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. It's a long time since I've felt so poorly, but I think I've finally turned the corner.
      There's no place I'd rather be on a bright autumn day in The Lakes. It is just beautiful. Xx

      Delete
  17. Jules, so sorry to read how ill you have been feeling. Despite that, you have (as always) been giving Lily such wonderful experiences and trips out. Your photos are quite wonderful in the way you have captured the few days we have had when it did not rain :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have little choice other than to try and keep going. And I'm glad I did, although I would have happily vegetated on the sofa all month. In all honesty I would still quite like to, which is most unlike me. X

      Delete
  18. I hope you're feeling better as we head into the holidays...your photos look as if you had a lovely time getting away and that helps so much. I read a great article a few years ago where the author said let's all just stop...we try to have perfect holidays, perfect photos, make perfect memories and we miss what's really important. From the looks of your beautiful photos, you captured the time away as it should be...helps me to remember: don't miss it, whatever "it" is as the moment. Always appreciate your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I'm still struggling but I'm slowly regaining my strength. I really hope I will be feeling much better in time for the festive season :)

      Delete
  19. Hi Jules, glad your back. Beautiful photos as usual. Keep your strength up . Xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you're feeling much better now. You've still managed to fill your days with some lovely trips out. I do love the Peak District, all lovely, and interesting, places which you visited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. I'm making slow progress but it's progress, at least.
      The Peak District is beautiful. I'm looking forward to making a return visit next year. Xx

      Delete
  21. I love the Peak District - my most favourite place ever.
    I'm so glad you are starting to pick up again - it sounds like a very nasty virus indeed. Much love . . .
    xx

    ReplyDelete