Wednesday 20 March 2024

Putting One Foot in Front of the Other

I'm still here!

Once again, I have been absent from this space for longer than I would have liked. I have still enjoyed keeping up with everyone else's news, but I haven't had much opportunity to post anything myself.  You see, most of my spare time has been spent putting one foot in front of the other. Quite literally. I've been running. 

Many (many) years ago, when I was a child, I used to listen to a friend's dad talk about having completed the Great North Run. I had no idea what it was, but what I did know is that he spoke so passionately about it. Then, as I grew older, quite randomly one day, I thought that I might just like to 'give it a try'. One application form later, I still wasn't entirely sure what it involved, but as I began training towards my goal of simply completing the course, it all became perfectly clear. 13 miles is a long way to run. 

I remember the first time I went out running. It was only half a mile, and all downhill, but even then I was struggling to breathe :) Not the best start, but I persevered, gradually increasing the distance each time I went out. I even entered some local races too, just to get an idea as to what I should expect. When the actual race day arrived, I loved it. Yes, I was slow, yes, I was exhausted, but the atmosphere was fantastic and the sense of achievement was huge. Running across the Tyne Bridge as the Red Arrows flew overhead will always be a special memory. So much so, that I went  on to run it four more times. 

After running regularly for quite some time, life, as it often does, got in the way. My running became sporadic and then almost non existent. With good intentions, I would set off again, but it simply wasn't a priority any more. I entered a marathon in the hope it would give me something to aim for, but then I injured my back, which meant that any training was impossible. So I deferred my entry and put it to the back of my mind. With an additional (and rather painful) problem with my feet, I wasn't even sure that running was an option for me, especially as walking is also uncomfortable from time to time.

Then a few months ago a friend suggested running a local half-marathon, and in a moment of madness I agreed. So I picked up where I left off and made this my target. If I could just manage to complete this, I might then be able to achieve my goal. On the day itself, I was incredibly nervous, but very excited, and taking things VERY slowly and steadily, I did it! After struggling for such a long time, it felt amazing and I was still able to walk the next day. I'm sure the stunning scenery helped as a distraction - snow capped fells with a backdrop of blue sky. The conditions were perfect. And did I mention the mug of tea and flapjack at the finish line :)

Since then, I have treated myself to a fancy new pair of running shoes, as over the coming weeks I will need to increase my training. So far, my body hasn't complained too much, but I'm very aware that I am not getting any younger, so I'm still taking things very, very slowly.  

With running taking up most of my free time just now, I haven't really been up to much else. Although we did go for a walk through the woods on Sunday. The weather was damp and misty, but we managed to enjoy a wander beneath the trees without getting too wet. There was even a glimpse of a deer running off up the hill, but we could barely see the lake down below.

In the next few weeks I am also hoping to get out into the garden. I've already given the grass it's first cut, but I could do with tidying things up a little more, before I get some potatoes and beetroot planted in the raised bed. The spring flowers are adding a much needed touch of colour, while I wait for the remaining plants to awaken from their winter sleep. 

Back soon.

J. X




32 comments:

  1. Well done. What a brilliant achievement, and now pushing yourself even further, that takes a lot of hard work and commitment but I know you'll do it. Oh, I looked at my grass yesterday and thought it could do with it's first cut, everything's springing back to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jo. Yes, get that grass cut before it rains again. As soon as the temperature begin to rise, I find that it shoots up. X

      Delete
  2. Very well done on completing the half-marathon! Now Spring has finally arrived it should be easier for you to train. I can't even run to catch a bus anymore :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. Yes, the lighter evenings and milder weather definitely help. Xx

      Delete
  3. Well Done, what an achievement - London Marathon next??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wondered if you would end your post with "must end this now, gotta run!" HA HA! Hope that made you smile! I am happy you are well. You must be to run a half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations. I'm sure you're experiencing the runner's high. It really gets the endorphins going. Gorgeous nature photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephenie. It was the sense of achievement that I could still manage it, especially after all this time. Xx

      Delete
  6. Well done with the running. Nice to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the running...defo won't be joining you though...doctors orders! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful to know that you are running again! Well done! I hope the training goes well and you are able to accomplish this latest goal! Please do keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. I'm going to be kept busy for the next month, while I continue my training, but I will do my best. Xx

      Delete
  9. Well done with all your running goals, I'll never be a runner, though I always ran for the bus. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy. Even though I've been training a lot, I'm still not sure I consider myself a runner. X

      Delete
  10. Lovely to read this post from you and I wish you good luck with your running.

    Your photographs are fabulous.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Yay for you, my friend! I am so glad you found something just for YOU. I need to do the same, although it will more likely be sitting in a chair and reading! LOL Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't prepared for all the planning involved, in order to find the time to do something just for myself :)

      Delete
  12. I read somewhere, “There is treasure on the other side once you slay your dragon.” Consider him slayed - Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you've able to get back into your running. Isn't it lovely to have something just for you and to be good at at ? (I'm the same with swimming). xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good to be out there running again, although I'm not sure I would class myself as being good at it :)

      Delete
  14. How very exciting (honestly) - good for you and good luck with your self challenges. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. My main challenge will be next month. All being well. Xx

      Delete

      Delete
  15. When you find your 'stride' - it feels really positive, keep running and heading to that finish line!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kate. I'm certainly going to try. Xx

      Delete
  16. I'm really glad that you are enjoying getting back into your running again. Beautiful photos. Our lawn is still a muddy mess at the moment so the mower is staying safely locked away for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverley. It has felt so good to be back doing something I enjoy, but it hasn't been easy. And I had forgotten just how much time it takes up. Xx

      Delete