Monday 1 April 2024

Spring


Welcome spring! 🌼🌼🌼

This last week has seen a marked improvement in the weather here, and it has felt so good after what has been a very long and very wet winter. How long it will last, however, is another matter. The clocks changing at the weekend means we also have lighter evenings to look forward to, which immediately has a positive impact on my energy levels, and has me looking foward to spending more time on the fells, and at the lake. 


School has finished now for two weeks, and along with the usual household jobs that I need to get on top of, I also have some lovely things planned. The garden is high up on the list of things which are in need of my attention, and I am desperate to get the raised bed planted up. A visit to the garden centre, this morning, should see that ticked off, at least.

Last Friday, we attended an Easter craft morning, which was a lot of fun, and where we met up with many of our friends. There was rock painting, cake decorating and weaving. Not to mention the complimentary sausage bun and cup of coffee for me :)


In the afternoon we went for a walk to the woods. It was a beautiful spring day. The sun was warm on our backs, and we were able to take off our jackets for a while. The ground was still very wet, however, showing just how much rain we've experienced recently. And as we walked, our boots made that delightful squelchy sound in the mud.


Everything was begining to look rather green all of a sudden, especially the swathes of wild garlic beneath the trees. We managed to gather just enough that I could make some delicious pesto. I say 'managed'. You can see the darker clouds in the photograph above. Fortunately, we were home and in the dry before the heaviest of downpours arrived. I expect a lot of people would have got caught out in it.

While we were in the woods, we also gathered up some sticks for our Easter tree. I'd left it a little late this year, as I hadn't realised that Easter weekend was right at the beginning of our spring break. Oops! Luckily, I had already got some chocolate eggs stashed away in the cupboard. 


On Saturday morning, we made our traditional Easter nests. Long gone are the days when Lily needed to stand on a chair in order to reach the mixing bowl. Now that she is getting older, she is quickly catching up with me, and I often wonder how much longer we will enjoy this activity together. 


Yesterday, was another beautiful day. Usually, I would have been packing up a picnic lunch and preparing for a walk on the fells. Instead, I went for a long run, followed by a walk along the river. Running is still taking up so much of my free time, but not for too much longer. I do (very much) enjoy running, but I don't particularly like how it has become all consuming. It feels like when I'm not running, I'm either planning a route, or trying to figure out how I can manage to fit a run into my already busy day. The end goal is now in sight, at least. 


J. X

40 comments:

  1. Enjoy your cakes, hopefully she will want to keep making them for a few more years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marlene. The cakes didn't last long :)

      Delete
  2. Haven't we had some beautiful spring days over this past week, unfortunately, it's back to rain here today but I'm hoping the sunshine will come back again. Easter nest making was a task I always enjoyed when my kids were little, I even continued after they'd left home but I haven't made any this year. Have a lovely Easter break, and enjoy the things you have planned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been so changeable lately. Hopefully we will get a longer spell of sunny weather very soon.. Xx

      Delete
  3. That wild garlic pesto is filling my mind at presnt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, wild garlic is the scent of spring. X

      Delete
  4. Any chance of a wild garlic pesto making post please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There already is one on the side bar. X

      Delete
  5. I can almost smell that wild garlic from here. I’m so impressed with your running. I’m sure you are feeling much more motivated because of it. Those Easter nests look yummy. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. I'm not feeling particlarly motivated at the moment, just tired
      :D

      Delete
  6. As my boys grew, I was acutely aware of their 'impending teenage stand-offish-ness' and so I tackled it head on, by saying I knew that they would go through that (bloody) awful stage where we would not get on, things we loved doing would be 'so uncool' etc and I was fine with that, coz I knew that at the end, they would 'come back' Interestingly enough, my Eldest son seemed to be fairly easy about being a teenager and said later (as an adult) he was touched by what I said and was mindful to try not to 'leave me behind', my Youngest and I fought like cat and dog, but he too said that he was aware that things we'd done together were 'not that bad' and after a rocky couple of years, he also 'came back' and we continued doing the things we loved. They both agreed that it was because I had said (several times to be honest) that I was aware that they'd change but I would still be here for them xx Chocolate easter nests will always be cool !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate nests are the best! I remember, my friend insisted on having some at her birthday party.
      Yes, they do usually come back. And that's the very reason I find myself running so much! Xx

      Delete
  7. Hopefully nobody ever gets too old to enjoy an easter nest! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So simple to make, and yet so delicious. Xx

      Delete
  8. We had a lovely Easter weekend seeing family and enjoying the very welcome sunshine. However, I think the rain will be coming back very soon!

    I always enjoy seeing your photographs and the Easter nests look very tasty :)

    Wishing you a happy new month of April.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Easter weekend sounded lovely. Fingers crossed for some brighter weather very soon. X

      Delete
  9. Good morning m'dear. Your photos look so lovely and Spring-like.

    A weekend weather broadcast informed me that most of the UK had received twice the usual rainfall in March and the soil around here definitely confirms that. It is Mud Season. Look forward to seeing what you get up to over the holidays, hope there are lots of lovely walks for you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing I'm not in any rush to be back on the fells at the moment. Everywhere is just so muddy! Although given the amount of rainfall we've had, it is hardly surprising. X

      Delete
  10. Such changeable weather we're having. I put away my winter coat and ankle boots on Sunday for a nice walk on a beautifully warm day and then out they came again yesterday and I had to wait until late afternoon for it to stop raining. It didn't spoil the Easter weekend though. I think Lily will always enjoy making Easter treats, she is enjoying a wonderful childhood with you as her Mum xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went for a run yesterday, and even though it was very windy, it felt much warmer than it has been lately. Fingers crossed the weather will improve soon. I'm fed up of having to dodge the showers. X

      Delete
  11. Lovely photos as always, Jules. Enjoy your spring break, those delicious chocolate nests, and running. I dreaded the teenage years and the rebellion I was told to expect and, you know what? There was absolutely none of that! I'm sure you and Lily will find things to do together even when she gets older. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. I do hope Lily and I will still enjoy doing things together, as she gets older. Xx

      Delete
  12. wild garlic pesto sounds lovely, hopefully Lily will continue to enjoy the Easter cake making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pesto is delicious. I've already used it in several dishes. Xx

      Delete
  13. Looks very spring like around there! Wild garlic pesto sounds interesting and the Easter nests look delicious (used to sometimes make those as centerpieces at Easter brunch). Hope your week is off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. I do like the idea of Easter brunch. Xx

      Delete
  14. Lovely photos! It's been okay today but the rain is now bouncing off the pavement, good old April showers.
    Our wild garlic is going crazy, I quite like the odd leaf in a green salad but give most of it to the tortoise! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunshine didn't last long here, either. It's already back to wet and windy again. X

      Delete
  15. It looks like you are having a wonderful time. The weather looks brilliant! I agree - longer days make me feel more motivated - there’s so much to catch up on outside. You’re making such wonderful memories with Lily - those traditions will always carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're dodging the rain showers, and getting outdoors when we can. X

      Delete
  16. Love your photos, I hope you enjoy your break and get lots of things ticked off your list. It sounds like the running is all consuming, bless you. Hopefully with the good weather this summer you can do more walking. I don't think that we'll get to the Lake District this year. We've booked to visit The New Forest area, we'll see family and see some favourite places whilst down there. We always visit the In-laws graves too. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The New Forest will be wonderful. It's an area I would love to visit - another place to add to my list :)

      Delete
  17. Ooh, home-made pesto and Easter nests! Things are looking up as the season progresses. It's been pouring rain here for the last two days and the ground is soaked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same here. And I'm fed up of all the mud, especially when it manages to find its way into my house! Xx

      Delete
  18. Look at all that wild garlic! I imagine the taste of your pesto and dream of a spoonful or two. Here, most wild garlic been outcompeted by the invasive wild leek (I think of the few flowered variety). I do so miss doing creative things, or baking with the children. It is not the same without them. The little easter nest look tasty. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Christina. I love to make Easter nests with Lily, as they are one of the few treats she can have. Xx

      Delete
  19. Those Easter Nests look fab. It was especially nice to have some lovely wknd weather. Let's hope we get some more soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep hoping, Shazza! I expect hugo is also fed up of the rain and mud. Xx

      Delete
  20. That's interesting, about the running. I have noticed that with athletic types who run marathons. Your baking looks lovely. I love those little nests. So glad you are feeling better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a shame. As I do really like running for pleasure, but it is beginning to feel more of a chore, rather than something to enjoy. X

      Delete