Monday 8 April 2024

Feeling Rested

 


The first week of the Easter holidays has flown by. The weather is still changeable, but we've managed to squeeze in some necessary and also some lovely things to do, in between the heavy rain showers. It has felt good knowing I didn't have to work to a schedule and, even though it isn't ever needed, I was nice not having to set my alarm. 

One of the first things on my list was the garden; I am so glad that I had managed to give it a good clear up before the winter months. Since the arrival of spring, I had just been waiting for the ground to dry out a little before getting to work out there. Well, with the amount of rain we've been experiencing, that won't be happening any time soon. So on one of our rare dry days, I set to work replenishing the raised bed with some top soil, and since then Lily and I have planted potatoes, carrots and beetroot. My new net tunnels should hopefully keep any unwanted pests away. I've tidied up the flower beds, and it looks likes most of the plants have survived the frosts this year. The apple trees are displaying new growth, and I've transferred the lemon trees into the back porch, so that I can move them out into the garden just as soon as the weather picks up. I'm looking forward to some sunny days, when I can sit out there with a cup of tea.

At least the grass has already had its first cut of the year, although it always amazes me just how quickly it shoots up again after winter. It's only a small patch of lawn but it can be a job to keep on top of it during the summer months. Something else I need to get on top of are the weeds at the side of the house! I keep reminding myself that the bees need the dandelions at this time of year, and I'm singlehandedly saving the planet by leaving them alone.


Lily has been kept busy with her school work, this week. She has her SATs coming up in May, and all the children have been given some practice test questions, so that they can know what sort of thing to expect. She has been, reluctantly, working at it little by little, simply to get it all completed, as this coming week we are going to be a bit busier, and she won't have the time.
It hasn't all been hard work, however. As a break from the test papers, she also enjoyed a fantastic activity day, taking part in cycling, archery and indoor caving. 

On one of the sunnier afternoons, we also enjoyed a walk along the canal. It was an area I hadn't been to before and it was so lovely and peaceful, although that might have been because the tow path was so muddy! Thank goodness we were wearing our boots. It was a typical spring-like afternoon. We were chilly one minute, then needing to take off our jackets the next. While we were walking, I took the opportunity to take a few photographs using my new phone, just to try and get used to the camera. It seems to be very similar to my previous one, and yet the photographs appear much brighter. 


At the weekend Lily and I endured a trip into town. Shopping is not one of our favourite things to do, but seeing as someone had grown, yet again, we needed to buy some new trainers. I can't believe she is now wearing the same size as me! While we were there, I also picked up a few other items , which will be necessary for me in a couple of weeks. It feels as though I've been building up to this for ever. I just hope things all go to plan. 

Back soon. 
J . X

34 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect start to the holidays although a shame that Lily has to wade through SATS papers. I’d have them abolished if I had my way. Lily will soon be borrowing your clothes at this rate lol! B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad we got the papers out of the way last week. We have the actual tests to look forward to in May. X

      Delete
  2. Variety is the spice of life as they say and it sounds like you and Lily have had plenty of that over the past week. I'm not a fan of shopping either but sometimes it just has to be done. Yes, the autumn jobs in the garden always seem like a chore but it does pay off to get them done, especially if we're unable to get into the garden early on in spring. Hopefully we'll see some nicer weather arriving soon, everywhere is so muddy with all the rain we've had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad that I managed to get on top of the garden before winter. It makes a huge difference not having any big tasks to do out there, now that spring has arrived, especially with the ground being so wet. X

      Delete
  3. Your photographs are so very Springlike - glad you nipped out between the showers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope the weather improves soon, Pat. Xx

      Delete
  4. I don't comment much, but I always like to look at your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you to say. Thank you. X

      Delete
  5. It made me smile when you said Lily is wearing the same size trainers as you.
    Youngest grand-daughter takes the same size shoe as her mum and me!

    I like the photographs you've shared from your new phone.

    I hope the SATS tests go well for Lily.
    Enjoy the rest of the school Easter break.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is getting so tall, Jan. I'm sure she grows overnight! X

      Delete
  6. Enjoy the rest of your week off, Jules. Hope the weather cooperates!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, my friend! What lovely photos! So happy you have been enjoying the spring in your world. And I too dislike shopping!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it isn't just me :) I only shop if it's absolutely necessary, and even then I find it exhausting. Xx

      Delete
  8. You’ve done so well! You have a terrific jump on me - I need to clean garden beds, but it looks like more rain this week. This time of year makes me anxious - as if I can’t catch up. Time for a new to-do list and renewed determination! Best of luck on the SAT’s - it can be a stressful time, but the outings you have together are the perfect antidote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very tiny space, Mary. Sometimes I wish for a bigger garden, but I like that it's fairly low maintenance. Xx

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos as always! I'm glad you and Lily are enjoying the spring break and feeling rested. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. This last week has been much busier. Xx

      Delete
  10. Glad you and Lily have had a good week and have been able to enjoy some outdoor activities. Lovely pictures of your canal walk. I still have quite a few jobs to catch up on in our garden so you are ahead of me. If the weather starts to improve I do have lots of plants ready in the greenhouse to get me started. For now I am enjoying watching the birds on our feeders :-) Good luck with those SAT's Lily.
    Enjoy the rest of your Easter holiday together x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverley. It can often be tricky to find a balance between resting and feeeling like I've actually achieved something during the holidays. Perhaps one day I'll figure it out :)

      Delete
  11. That canal walk looks very restful, beautiful photos. It sounds like you've had a good week getting things done. Lily is growing so fast, time really does seem to fly. All the best in her upcoming exams x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made a pleasant change, to walk along the canal. I hadn't done that for a long time. It was just a shame it was so muddy. Xx

      Delete
  12. Lovely photos, such a blue, blue sky, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful spring day, despite the mud underfoot. Xx

      Delete
  13. I'm so glad you and Lily have been spending lots of time outside! Spring has surely arrived. Shopping is not something I enjoy. It's more like a chore to me. I need a new pair of jeans, but the thought of trying on pair after pair of jeans just seems exhausting to me. Hope you are having a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunny days have been few and far between, but we have made the most of the ones we did get.
      I'm glad it isn't only me who finds shopping such a chore :)

      Delete
  14. Looks like a beautiful walk and a lovely sunny day. Good luck to Lily in her SATS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made a nice change, to enjoy a walk along the canal. It would have been even nicer without the mud. Xx

      Delete
  15. I never think of canal side walks being muddy, but I suppose they are in the weather we've had. Fingers crossed for a dry weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I, unti we got there! I think the weather is forecast to improve over the next week. X

      Delete
  16. Isn't that amazing? Your gardening sounds lovely. I have been doing many of the same things here. It feels good to feed all of the plants and flowers compost. Lily is wise not to procrastinate with her SAT's. I was so bad that way at her age...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't any signs of growth yet, but it's still very early, and we did have a light ground frost this morning!

      Delete
  17. Sorry I am so late to this - by now you might have done your run?
    Really enjoyed your canal photos, not something you see at this end of Cumbria and I miss them.
    We had frost last night, what about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we also had a light frost. I think we've experienced most of the seasons in just this one month!
      I haven't done my run yet. Hopefully at the weekend. 🤞

      Delete